Happy Spam Musubi Day!

Hawaii also gets more flavors, yes flavors, of spam than anywhere else...bbq, Portuguese sausage, etc. You'll find a wall of different types on the shelves, even entire pallets in the aisles.
store-spam-Kauai-HI-7.jpg

And then there is Tulip...some people actually favor it over spam.

There was an entire episode of the UU Aloha Friday Jam celebrating Figgy Pudding Spam, a limited-time only flavor (around Christmas) with special guest @Brittni Paiva. You can follow the time code to the specifics of them not just eating Figgy Pudding Spam, but carefully evaluating Figgy Pudding Spam, and discussing it at length.

Remarkably enough, this was the culmination of a conversation that had in fact been going on for months across both the Jams and the UU podcast. Again, I don't eat spam anymore, and never will again, but it turns out that spam as a spectator sport is even more entertaining than eating it anyway! :ROFLMAO:

I thought I had all the good national food days in my calendar, but I missed it. I love musubi. Making up for it, I just ordered a bunch from Rutts Hawaiian Cafe in Culver City to bring with me to my uke group for our Wednesday noon play along.

Last edited:
There was an entire episode of the UU Aloha Friday Jam celebrating Figgy Pudding Spam, a limited-time only flavor (around Christmas) with special guest @Brittni Paiva. You can follow the time code to the specifics of them not just eating Figgy Pudding Spam, but carefully evaluating Figgy Pudding Spam, and discussing it at length.

Remarkably enough, this was the culmination of a conversation that had in fact been going on for months across both the Jams and the UU podcast. Again, I don't eat spam anymore, and never will again, but it turns out that spam as a spectator sport is even more entertaining than eating it anyway! :ROFLMAO:
That Spam was one of my favorites! I still have the second can that came in the two-pack -- I'm saving it for the upcoming holiday season. 😅

Lots of other spam goodies available in Hawaii too.
IMG_20230809_082757700_copy_800x627.jpg
At the spam museum there is supposedly a picture of local (international, as he says, lol) celebrity Lanai...he and his brother (an Oahu
chef) won the Food truck race and he also hosts the show Cooking Hawaiian Style, It's a Hawaii Thing podcast, guides food tours (highly recommended) and tours to Japan, does/did radio/standup comedy/acting, and a whole lot of other stuff.

Last edited:
@badhabits is a full on bad influencer.
no... extrapolating from @TimWlson, this is HEALTH food!

...shitty little things like Spam-flavored macadamia nuts...
agree, should be be mac nut-flavored spam...

Yes! Such a good breakfast: bowl of rice, fried slice of spam, with an over-easy egg on top. Sprinkle of furikake. Sigh…
sub the furikake for brown gravy and, voila! spam loco moco! spoco moco?

I think you’ve all lost your minds.
what else is new? 😆

And yet, no Monty Python references 😲😉

I have seen here references to Alvin "Pops" Okami being the inventor of the Spam Musubi acrylic mold before he started making ukulele and starting KoAloha. I was speaking with Pops and asked if he could send a photo of the one he invented. it is attached. He is very proud of this because it is not seemed and glued like the ones from China. Pops is not done with his inventions. He is working on a Koa long-handle shoe horn called the "Shuke horn." Also, Koa kitchen utensils called "uketensils." Both of these will have ukulele designs. These ideas keep him going and I love it. Pops says of his musubi mold:

"notice that the ends of two
sides are curved so that after pressing the rice, lifting the maker is simply
done by keeping your two
thumbs on the pressor and
lifting the outer shell by using your finger slots on

both sides."

Attachments

• IMG_2046.jpg
    IMG_2046.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I have seen here references to Alvin "Pops" Okami being the inventor of the Spam Musubi acrylic mold before he started making ukulele and starting KoAloha. I was speaking with Pops and asked if he could send a photo of the one he invented. it is attached. He is very proud of this because it is not seemed and glued like the ones from China. Pops is not done with his inventions. He is working on a Koa long-handle shoe horn called the "Shuke horn." Also, Koa kitchen utensils called "uketensils." Both of these will have ukulele designs. These ideas keep him going and I love it.
Did you ask him why his musubi mold is a different shape from the musubi sound holes in his ukuleles?

A family member went to Hawaii to help after the fire. She was on a little bit of the news a few days ago when she arrived. When they showed the food being delivered, there was a tall cart of every kind of spam on the market. I had to chuckle. 🏵️🧡🏵️

I have seen here references to Alvin "Pops" Okami being the inventor of the Spam Musubi acrylic mold before he started making ukulele and starting KoAloha. I was speaking with Pops and asked if he could send a photo of the one he invented. it is attached. He is very proud of this because it is not seemed and glued like the ones from China. Pops is not done with his inventions. He is working on a Koa long-handle shoe horn called the "Shuke horn." Also, Koa kitchen utensils called "uketensils." Both of these will have ukulele designs. These ideas keep him going and I love it.
Well, look what I found in the kitchen!
IMG_20230818_150854.jpg

Top Bottom