Happy Spam Musubi Day!

badhabits

Reaction score
774dad25-4c19-4f1e-a61b-4c68d747c1a6_nsmd23_frame_2.png

Let's put it this way. I've never seen a 7-11 or a gas station that doesn't offer spam musubi. So call it somewhere in the hot dog range of popularity? Not that hot dogs aren't popular in the same places too.

Re spam in Hawaii in general, the average is 5 cans per person per year (minus me, who hasn't touched spam since 1992 🤣), a total of 7 million cans per year, far more than anywhere per capita else in the world.

Remarkably to me, Hawaii residents are nevertheless the longest-lived folks in the country. Because of spam, or despite it? Not for me to say. 🤣

I'm guessing that spam musubi is popular in Hawaii more for the rice and seaweed than for the spam. I always get chicken or fish instead of spam.

Legend has it that spam musubi originated in WW2 Japanese-American concentration camps where the only "meat" that the army guards would give to the prisoners was spam. How spam remained popular after the war still confuses me.

Not too shabby @hands_on_lanzon...egg in unusual. You also need a press! Soy sauce and brown sugar work as a poor man's teriyaki, if in a pinch.

the other legend is that it was invented by a woman on Kauai.
I do have a press, but perhaps was too hesitant on the hulk smash.

Also, nice to make it home to control the ratio and keep it less ricey. Btw, my wife loves eggs, therefore, we make a few with eggs. I had a separate eggless share, not pictured.

It's filling!! I'm more full than I should be.

I think musubi is great for on the go snacks and KoAloha sound holes. 📐

I do have a press, but perhaps was too hesitant on the hulk smash.

Also, nice to make it home to control the ratio and keep it less ricey. Btw, my wife loves eggs, therefore, we make a few with eggs. I had a separate eggless share, not pictured.

It's filling!! I'm more full than I should be.

I think musubi is great for on the go snacks and KoAloha sound holes. 📐
Wikipedia says a woman from Honolulu also may have invented spam musubi. Given the scarcity of beef and pork during WW2 and the existing popularity of other types of musubi, I would not be surprised spam musubi was independently "invented" by different people. Note that spam musubi is typically rectangular (like a slice of spam), not triangular like KoAloha sound holes. Other types of musubi (fish, chicken, vegetable, etc) are usually triangular. Another piece of trivia: before Alvin Okami started the KoAloha ukulele company, he was credited with inventing the acrylic spam musubi mold.
51Ra0qG4rDL._AC_.jpg

From a website on SPAM and Hawaii:

Hawaii consumes 7 million cans of Spam a year and there are only 1.42 million of us currently living in the islands—let that sink in a little bit. We even have a goddamn Spam Jam food event once a year, where you can taste shitty little things like Spam-flavored macadamia nuts; 25,000 people attend the event just to eat Spam.

Spam that is sold in North America, South America, and Australia is produced in Austin, Minnesota (also known as "Spam Town USA") and in Dubuque, Iowa. I used to eat a fair amount; over-easy eggs with fried Spam on the side or in fried egg sandwiches, long before the Egg McMuffin.

That went away with domesticity but I still love the taste. I blame Monty Python for turning [some of] the world against it

Yes! Such a good breakfast: bowl of rice, fried slice of spam, with an over-easy egg on top. Sprinkle of furikake. Sigh…

Hawaii also gets more flavors, yes flavors, of spam than anywhere else...bbq, Portuguese sausage, etc. You'll find a wall of different types on the shelves, even entire pallets in the aisles.
store-spam-Kauai-HI-7.jpg

And then there is Tulip...some people actually favor it over spam.

Last edited:
Top Bottom