Greetings. Question regarding string choice for less volume & sustain.

learis

Reaction score
Hello. I'm very new to ukuleles and currently play a tenor ukulele tuned like a baritone DGBE (except I actually tune it DGAD, but that's not important for now :) ). I have the Peppy Romero baby baritone strings which are specifically designed for tenor ukes to be played this way. I have one issue which bugs me. Whenever I play chords, the G string just greatly overpowers the other strings if it's left open in the chords. It resonates more and with a higher volume completely drowning out the chord.

Are there specific strings that would rectify this? Also, keep in mind I have no problem using actual baritone strings on a tenor. I actually like the sound of low tension strings as they are more mellow and "plucky" sounding to me. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, and glad to be here. I've lurked for some time on these forums. Lots of good info.

Edit: I think I figured it out. The G string on this one is a wound string. It produced a nasty overpowering metallic twang on my ukulele. I switched it for a nylgut I had on another ukulele and it sounds much better now.

Last edited:
Welcome learis! I was going to suggest that you change out the G string, maybe to a nylon string, but looks like you've figured it out.

Welcome learis! Glad you felt comfortable enough to ask your question.

I agree, it sounds as though you have found a solution you like. There are plain fluorocarbon strings you can use as well.

Enjoy your tenor and the Forum.

Welcome to UU, learis!
Hope you enjoy your string experiments.

Top Bottom