Greetings from Wellington (West Palm Beach), FL

TimWPB

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I stumbled across this site, UU, as I researched ukuleles and learning how to play them. I excitedly set an intention to return to the “playing music” world after being absent for 40+ years, and I chose the ukulele as the instrument. My mom instilled the concept that all music has value and to give it a listen, regardless if you like it or not. As a result, I enjoy many music genres, and I will give emerging music types a listen. I grew up playing reed instruments, primarily clarinet and alto saxophone with some dabbling on oboe and bassoon. Thus, stringed instruments are somewhat foreign to me. I’m here to learn the instrument, how to play it, and have fun. In the process of achieving my intention, I’ve acquired a Kala solid mahogany concert with a satin finish to use as my starting ukulele. And I’ve initiated some self-taught notes and strumming. I hoping to glean more info here, continue my learning path, and make connections & friends in the uke world.

Welcome to the UU forums! Thanks for joining us and for taking the time to introduce yourself. Looking forward to hearing more about your ukulele journey!

Awesome... but you don't still live with your mom, right? :LOL:

Welcome to UU! I started on a similar Kala myself!
Nope, not since my late teens plus she made her final transition to the great beyond several years ago.

Welcome to UU, TimWPB!
I wish you lots of fun with your Kala. I find wind instruments very different from uke. I play a melody and I am aware of the key/accidentals on flute, but I never consciously think about chord progressions. On uke, I do think about chords...

Welcome to UU, TimWPB!
I wish you lots of fun with your Kala. I find wind instruments very different from uke. I play a melody and I am aware of the key/accidentals on flute, but I never consciously think about chord progressions. On uke, I do think about chords...
I agree with you. With reed instruments, it’s either melody or harmony. Chords and strumming are my challenges as I hear the melody/harmony, but not the related chord. I’m learning though.

Top Bottom