got Hawaiian shirts?

Very nice. I have a bunch of them, but I limit use mostly to ukulele jams.

I have two that I bought there years ago, and they appear to be made inside out. The outside is "faded," but the inside has bright colors. Odd.

I have two that I bought there years ago, and they appear to be made inside out. The outside is "faded," but the inside has bright colors. Odd.
That "inside out" is intentional.

I visited Oahu back in 2010. While I was there, my brother asked me to bring him back a souvenir. I asked what he wanted, and he said "I dunno, just like a shirt that says 'Hawaii' on it or something." So I brought him back an Aloha shirt. If there was ever a shirt that said "Hawaii" all over it...

Sakura Spring

M544812522-OCEAN-BLUE-1_f68af856-c15f-4829-8a70-36ba4e306e8e_1000x.png
Both this one and the previous one you posted are very well done. Note the pattern-matching—the fabric is cut & assembled so the pattern matches across the two front halves of the shirt. Takes a lot of skill, plus extra fabric, to do that.

The sewn on pocket is another place to look, good ones will match perfectly.

I bought a used shirt from eBay a few years ago that ended up being like that. I didn't realize it when I ordered it. I would have preferred it to have been sewn together normally.

Both this one and the previous one you posted are very well done. Note the pattern-matching—the fabric is cut & assembled so the pattern matches across the two front halves of the shirt. Takes a lot of skill, plus extra fabric, to do that.
The sewn on pocket is another place to look, good ones will match perfectly.
I was curious if they actually come like this or if it's just for the pic. This designer takes his shirts pretty seriously! It seams (😉) like they match pockets for sure, but the center match was just a prime example for the pic. There are plenty that match when I searched Reyn Spooner in Google images, but not all.

I guess when you go Hawaii, try all ukes and all aloha shirts in stock before you buy!

1000017358.jpg

...It seams (😉) like they match pockets for sure, but the center match was just a prime example for the pic. There are plenty that match when I searched Reyn Spooner in Google images, but not all....
Costlier in wasted fabric for sure, and some of the brands like Spooner and Jams World have you pay for it.

I never miss a trip to Bailey's Aloha Shirts when we go to Oahu.

Costlier in wasted fabric for sure, and some of the brands like Spooner and Jams World have you pay for it.

I never miss a trip to Bailey's Aloha Shirts when we go to Oahu.
...wasted fabric and time/effort. Never been to Bailey's, need to get there some time. There's a small shop with decent vintage stuff just outside Chinatown, near Fete, can't remember the name.

...There's a small shop with decent vintage stuff just outside Chinatown, near Fete, can't remember the name.
Maybe it was The Aloha Short Shack on Nuuanu? Google says now "permanently closed".

We also always hit up Chinatown for Dim Sum.

Maybe it was The Aloha Short Shack on Nuuanu? Google says now "permanently closed".

We also always hit up Chinatown for Dim Sum.
Not a shirt shop... Single double I think, very small, with a selection of vintage.

Net proceeds will be donated to support disaster relief in Maui

Some Value Village pre-worn Hawaiian shirts on the Maple Leaf Champions Jug Band members.

Hawaiian shirt #1.jpg

This is the second gig we ever did as the MLC Jug Band shortly after the turn of the century. I had just bought my first ukulele, a Kala which I no longer own and this was its second show. I had no strap, so I had to sit for my uke tunes.
Hawaiian shirt#3.jpg

They have a hat with ukuleles on it, I was getting ready to buy one but it's sold out :( Hopefully they'll get some back in soon

Top Bottom