There has got to be some Hawaiian speakers here...

I learned Hawaiian way back in the 1970s from my kumu 'olelo Hawai'i Robert Lokomaika'iokalani Snakenberg. Many of my kupuna back then didn't speak Hawaiian so much was lost, and I am very rusty. I was taught the 'okina is ' not ` as 'okina means to cut the ' cutting the word with a gluttoral stop. Many online Hawaiian dictionaries will recognize the ' symbol but not the ` symbol when spelling out Hawaiian words. You will never have a 'okina next to any consonant as the 'okina itself is a consonant, and in Hawaiian you never have 2 consonants next to each other. As far as the words li'i and 'iki they both share the same root word from ancient western Polynesian word for small "riki" or "riti" replace the k (t) with an 'okina and you get ri'i or li'i, replace the r with a 'okina and you get 'iki (in Tahitian 'iti). I would say in the context you use 'iki is more common and accepted. The word li'i or li'ili'i is not as commonly used but acceptable. Again I am rusty and I hope a young blood like 1019 chimes in with his fresh input. Manini is a slang which originated with the local small fish the Convict Tang, and refers to something small or of little importance. It can also refer to a person who is a "tight-wad". Look on the head of a Tangi Manini 'ukulele and there you have a manini fish inlay. I highly recommend this sight for research into Hawaiian language: http://wehewehe.org/ I hope that didn't cause any confusion.

Thanks, Ankho Honu.We just tried the link for the Hawiian dictionary. It worked really well for individual words but not phrases or sentences. We tried to get a translation for the sentence in your signature but no luck

Aloha Mai Miso Happy,
Sorry for the confusion, manini could be a slang for small..Always nice to hear from
anyone from the aina..How long has it been since you left???Anyways, "Keep them
strings vibrating" Ukulele's is for eva's girl...MM Stan.. Ho'o lono ana i Ke kani
hone hone a ka ukulele--Listen to the sweet sounds of the ukulele
Malama Pono & A Hui Ho!!
BTW- I had a feeling that you may be local, by your post name,,,Miso Happy
sounds like local creativity at it's best....

Aloha Mai Miso Happy,
Sorry for the confusion, manini could be a slang for small..Always nice to hear from
anyone from the aina..How long has it been since you left???Anyways, "Keep them
strings vibrating" Ukulele's is for eva's girl...MM Stan.. Ho'o lono ana i Ke kani
hone hone a ka ukulele--Listen to the sweet sounds of the ukulele
Malama Pono & A Hui Ho!!
BTW- I had a feeling that you may be local, by your post name,,,Miso Happy
sounds like local creativity at it's best....

How long has it been since I left....a month maybe? I went to disneyland, but other than that I have never left the islands, ever. Only been to the mainland once.

Actually I took my username from somebody else's shirt, I don't know if it's a local thing??

I was taught the 'okina is ' not ` as 'okina means to cut the ' cutting the word with a gluttoral stop. .

OK....now Im really confused hahaha.

But...then what is this key if not an `okina? or 'okina?

Sorry if I'm being kind of slow x(

Marine_Fish_1_for_web.gif

Mahalo Much Ahnko,

Hooo!!Look like ready fo da fry pan...Makin' me hungry now....many memories growing up!!!!
Btw- Ahnko, I talked to Lenda today, she told me they didn't move, still in Hawaii Kai. Bad
info I got from the site, sorry like dat!!!She said their website jus tempory down. Malama
Pono and a Hui Ho! Keep um strumming them strings....Uke on!!!MM Stan...
I tried to direct her to your picture of your super soprano, but she couldn't find it.
shucks, they would have been so proud!!!
For all you UU'ers, were talking about R and L ukuleles, check ahnko's previous thread
picture of his awesome super soprano(sambien and cassarole45) You were asking
about them. awesome work at a reasonable price. Check them out, well worth it.
I hope you see this.. Uke On!! MM Stan..

Last edited:
OK....now Im really confused hahaha.

But...then what is this key if not an `okina? or 'okina?

Sorry if I'm being kind of slow x(

he mea iki. i primarily use `, simply to distinguish the ko `okina differences from the apostrophe. ulukau (wehewehe.org) uses the apostrophe.

my `olelo is like my pidgin, it comes and goes depending on my environment. when my hanai grandparents passed, and i stopped being an active member in the Hawaiian community, i don't have the opportunity to practice unless my cousins and sister are around. i'm slower now but confident that i don't need a dictionary (too much) other than probably Mamaka Kaiao, which is a newer dictionary of hua`olelo hou. ko`u `olelo makuahine is evolving!

as far as i was taught, li`ili`i wasn't common, li`i was primarily a suffix, and iki could stand alone or be both. in fact, the `okina sound is such that it may come off as a quiet "t", so li`i is similar to saying liti or liki, even furthermore in places like Tahiti and Aotearoa in which the "r" is more prominent, you get Ahnko Honu's riti form.

In the case of the OP's naming his `ukulele, "li`ili`i ali`i" or Little King, it's wrong. we already talked about the redup of li`i. but the term ali`i is more accurately defines royalty. so if you want that rhythmic ke-ali`i-li`i go to it. but the redup just doesn't sound right especially in terms of kaona (hidden meaning) that kanaka916 referred to. even using the more correct ka-moi-li`i (literally the little king), just doesn't work for me. little king? ka moi should be big and powerful, no? lol.

okay, now back to miso happy. i actually grew up thinking manini was simply an incorporated japanese word. lots of fish already get japanese names that seemed to be in use. but na mo`olelo actually gives the foundation for how manini is used in pidgin. Manini was a thief/hoarder from moloka`i. take a lot, give a little. manini in pidgin: stingy or very little. na mo`olelo also talks manini the fish, but Uncle Ji was there a more recent time when the convict tang called manini? it's funny that a striped fish is named after a thief. btw manini also refers to striped things such as kalo, mai`a (banana), k0 (sugar cane) and `uala (sweet potato).

a hui hou,
ka wala`au wale.

Aloha mai 1014,
It's been awhile, glad you helped us out on this one. Was wondering about the correct way and the kaona.
I was just thinking, could it be that the correlation be between manini and stripes be from the bars
of the prison or prisoners uniform???? BTW Any new songs you practicing??????
Malama Pono & A Hui Ho..... MM Stan..

Last edited:
he mea iki. i primarily use `, simply to distinguish the ko `okina differences from the apostrophe. ulukau (wehewehe.org) uses the apostrophe.

my `olelo is like my pidgin, it comes and goes depending on my environment. when my hanai grandparents passed, and i stopped being an active member in the Hawaiian community, i don't have the opportunity to practice unless my cousins and sister are around. i'm slower now but confident that i don't need a dictionary (too much) other than probably Mamaka Kaiao, which is a newer dictionary of hua`olelo hou. ko`u `olelo makuahine is evolving!

as far as i was taught, li`ili`i wasn't common, li`i was primarily a suffix, and iki could stand alone or be both. in fact, the `okina sound is such that it may come off as a quiet "t", so li`i is similar to saying liti or liki, even furthermore in places like Tahiti and Aotearoa in which the "r" is more prominent, you get Ahnko Honu's riti form.

In the case of the OP's naming his `ukulele, "li`ili`i ali`i" or Little King, it's wrong. we already talked about the redup of li`i. but the term ali`i is more accurately defines royalty. so if you want that rhythmic ke-ali`i-li`i go to it. but the redup just doesn't sound right especially in terms of kaona (hidden meaning) that kanaka916 referred to. even using the more correct ka-moi-li`i (literally the little king), just doesn't work for me. little king? ka moi should be big and powerful, no? lol.

okay, now back to miso happy. i actually grew up thinking manini was simply an incorporated japanese word. lots of fish already get japanese names that seemed to be in use. but na mo`olelo actually gives the foundation for how manini is used in pidgin. Manini was a thief/hoarder from moloka`i. take a lot, give a little. manini in pidgin: stingy or very little. na mo`olelo also talks manini the fish, but Uncle Ji was there a more recent time when the convict tang called manini? it's funny that a striped fish is named after a thief. btw manini also refers to striped things such as kalo, mai`a (banana), k0 (sugar cane) and `uala (sweet potato).

a hui hou,
ka wala`au wale.

Mahalo for the clarity of response, my po'o all full of cobwebs. :cool: Convicts wear orange now so maybe they should give the Manini a more dignified name. Fried Manini, and Kole two of my favorite panfish. How da perch biting at San Gregorio?

a hui hou,
ka wala`au wale.

OH i get um now. :D Tanks ah!

And I agree with ka moi being powerful, little just doesn't really suit.

Top Bottom