Good resources *or* performers of flamenco ukulele?

Piecomics

Reaction score
I'm just curious, there are a few books on amazon but I don't know anyone who has used them. i love the sound of flamenco and "gypsy" guitar and curious if anyone has successfully ported it to the uke.

I'm just curious, there are a few books on amazon but I don't know anyone who has used them. i love the sound of flamenco and "gypsy" guitar and curious if anyone has successfully ported it to the uke.
I don't play those styles, but I do a lot of "Spanish" finger style (along with tremolos and the occasional rasqueado as well. So I don't see why those particular styles couldn't be played on uke

Yeah, I've played a few Spanish style songs and it should be possible but I am not good enough to develop it on my own so hoping I can see/hear something that can help guide me. Thanks for the response!

Players (and ensembles) that come to mind:

Daniel Ward. Matt Dahlberg. Abe Lagrimas, Jr. Taimane Gardner. German Lopez (on the timple, but it's pretty easy to adapt to the uke) and Antonio Toledo. Oleha. Derick Sebastian. Kalei Gamiao. The list goes on.

They aren't all flamenco players per se, but they all draw inspiration from flamenco.

Ah….

Here‘s a source: https://flamencoukulele.com/free-tabs. I have theses books and are working on them.

Also I like Marco‘s lessons. Here’s an example:

And then check out https://www.ukuleletime39.com/. Several feature a Latin style.

I checked in with Mika at the ukulele site asking about private lessons in flamenco uke and he didn’t know of anyone offering such. Be interesting to see other responses.

thanks for these recommendations and the video, checking them out now! Bachettadavid, I found the Ryo Kotake "flamenco go go", very nice!

=> Some ukulele folk with flamenco-ish repertoire and lessons. Provides samples and road maps to get started.

=> Examples of flamenco guitarists. Displays of musicianship.

=> Examples of full bore street flamenco (flamenco puro) with dancers, singers, clappers, musicians. Some vids are family and friends, some are touristy. I like both improvisational street flamenco and formal classical flamenco

=> Overview of flamenco history, styles, trends.

==> For a taste of flamenco culture it was fun to do a dance and guitarro workshop at the local flamenco club/school.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Please don't make the (very common) mistake of reducing an entire beautiful, varied artform down to someone strumming frantically over a 4/4 rumba beat in a minor key. This is like saying Michael Jackson is heavy metal music just because Eddie Van Halen played on one of his songs once, or that Tiny Tim is Hawaiian music. To be completely honest - at least in the U.S. ukulele world, as far as I know - Daniel Ward and I are the only ones with flamenco street cred who've actually studied flamenco and played (guitar) with flamenco singers and dancers. We know the structures ("compás") and I have yet to see someone aside from us play a proper flamenco rasgueado and in anything other than 4/4 time. My friend Ben Woods (R.I.P.) made a fun video playing one of many flamenco styles (there are many, rumba is not officially one of them) called bulerías and although he is playing with a pick, which never happens in real flamenco, Ben knows this and has already proven himself as a flamenco player many times over. The only time I play flamenco on ukulele is when, just for something fun, I'll play Sevillanas onstage with dancers at the Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival. I do this because I want people to see the dancing, the costumes, and hear the singing and the compás and say "ah...so this is flamenco". See pic below

Best thing you can do if you're interested in learning some basics of flamenco is to check out the solo compás videos on YouTube (used to be all on CDs). I think you'll be surprised to hear what flamenco really sounds like. Learn what's what and then adapt to ukulele. Here are some suggestions:

In the spirit of Christmas, check this out - this was from just a few days ago, my friend's husband is one of the guitarists. It's a very traditional thing you'll hear and see all over Jerez in concert halls, nightclubs, Elks Lodge type clubs, etc; note the 6 beat structure:

¡Felices Fiestas!
ukulelefestival119.jpg

I'd love to hear that flamenco music without all the blaring godawful clapping and castinets...or at least have them turned way down in the mix.

my biggest flamenco concern is shirt sleeves. It seems like the performers wear pirate shirts. How do they account for those cuffs? I incorporate a lot of flamenco in my style--such as a picado picking. But how do they do it with puffy shirts??

my biggest flamenco concern is shirt sleeves. It seems like the performers wear pirate shirts. How do they account for those cuffs? I incorporate a lot of flamenco in my style--such as a picado picking. But how do they do it with puffy shirts??
you're joking right?

I'd love to hear that flamenco music without all the blaring godawful clapping and castinets...or at least have them turned way down in the mix.
flamenco is nothing without the clapping (palmas). that's like saying I'd like to hear Miles Davis without all the pesky drums, bass, piano, etc. That being said, the YouTube links I posted are training recordings for flamenco students to learn the compás for each of those styles as well as to rehearse to. So the palmas and castañuelas are indispensable to that end. If you want to hear just solo guitar, stick with recordings of Sabicas, Ramon Montoya, Nino Ricardo, etc

yes and no. I am certainly being facetious but I do wonder how those performers do play with all those puffy shirts. If I wear a long sleeve shirt I have to roll up my right sleeve to avoid muting my strings.
turn off the videos from the 80s and watch ones from the most recent like, 20 years

I guess the question is: do you like and want to learn authentic flamenco or are you only interested in what everyone "thinks" is flamenco which is Rumba Flamenca? If it's the latter - and there's nothing wrong with that - then you'll want to listen to guys like Strunz & Farah and watch this video tutorial on Rumba Flamenca by a good friend of mine:

I just wanted to provide some clarification about "flamenco" and the widespread misuse of the term

Top Bottom