FYI: a First Act guitar has the same scale length as a baritone uke

Exactly! Turns out a 2 year old doesn't care about intonation;)

Not trying to be a purist or a snoot here, but even a 2 year old being ear-trained, whether it is on an instrument in tune, or out of tune. You know how their little minds are like sponges? It turns out, their ears are as well.

And that can last on into adulthood. My husband, who was never musical, never sang, and listened to the radio, couldn't match pitch. Now that he has been playing ukulele and getting close to the chords and strings and sounds, his pitch is improving. I have been amazed.

Not trying to be a purist or a snoot here, but even a 2 year old being ear-trained, whether it is on an instrument in tune, or out of tune. You know how their little minds are like sponges? It turns out, their ears are as well.

And that can last on into adulthood. My husband, who was never musical, never sang, and listened to the radio, couldn't match pitch. Now that he has been playing ukulele and getting close to the chords and strings and sounds, his pitch is improving. I have been amazed.

I hear you. That's valid. But she can't fret yet -- or isn't interested anyway. So unless I put in in an open tuning (which isn't a bad idea) we're still in the "everything is percussion" stage. She does have a decent little uke, but it's not pink so it's dead to her. Luckily she hears the rest of us playing passable music so there's hope. And she can carry a tune which I think is precocious nearing on genius ... But I'm biased ;)

Top Bottom