Full Carbon Fiber Baritone Coming Soon!

Olmeck

Reaction score
Durable, weather resistant, and travel safe baritone options are very limited. The only two options I’m aware of are the Ohana BK-70RB and the (questionable if I should even include) magic fluke baritone banjo. I decided to go to the KLŌS website today and saw they have a coming soon page for a baritone! Very exciting!

Durable, weather resistant, and travel safe baritone options are very limited. The only two options I’m aware of are the Ohana BK-70RB and the (questionable if I should even include) magic fluke baritone banjo. I decided to go to the KLŌS website today and saw they have a coming soon page for a baritone! Very exciting!

Interesting. Above my price point for a travel bari. I have an Ohana 70rb and you're right, it is nice for travel. I think it hits above its price point. But I would add to your list traveling with a smaller uke with baby baritone strings. I have a Romero laminated STC set up that way. It's the size of a soprano but plays dgbe. Not a bad compromise for travel.

Interesting. Above my price point for a travel bari. I have an Ohana 70rb and you're right, it is nice for travel. I think it hits above its price point. But I would add to your list traveling with a smaller uke with baby baritone strings. I have a Romero laminated STC set up that way. It's the size of a soprano but plays dgbe. Not a bad compromise for travel.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve get some baby baritone strings laying around and I’m considering putting them on my tenor but then I wouldn’t have a re-entrant uke anymore, but I’m not really playing re-entrant anymore currently…decisions.

Last edited:
TBH, any solid top ukulele is not really weather resistant. The Ohana has a solid spruce top and composite round back. As far as impact resistance you have a 50-50 chance of survival.

I have a KLOS tenor (early hybrid) and it has been a love-hate relationship. That said I have finally found the right strings and tuned to B, it is my most played ukulele. Primarily because it sits downstairs in a gig bag and I don’t care about the environment. I am quite pleased with the sound.

My primary concern about the KLOS baritone is even in the full carbon the price is nearly the same as the KLOS full carbon travel guitar and their travel guitar is larger, built for steel strings features a detachable neck for a smaller travel size. Even the gig bag can accommodate full size and broken down size. They also offer a hybrid for around $800.

If it were me, I’d look for a laminate. I believe Kiwaya makes (made) a laminate baritone KBU that might work. Also a laminate Tiny Tenor might be able to carry the low D, since it is voiced for low G tuning, and you’ll get a smaller size.

I have a real problem paying about the same for a larger travel guitar that withstands much higher string tension and packs into a significantly smaller travel size than their baritone ukulele.

John

Just wanted to provide an update on this. These are going to be launching as early as next month and they are planning to offer a promotional price of $949-1140 to early buyers.

Last edited:

Durable and weather resistant yes, but a $1400 uke may not be rip-off resistant! Those are gorgeous ukes!

Just wanted to provide an update on this. These are going to be launching as early as next month and they are planning to offer a promotional price of $949-1140 to early buyers.
$949 for a full carbon is not a bad deal.

John

Top Bottom