Felt Washer for strap buttons

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Got some strap buttons at a local music shop, but the didn't have any felt washers. I understand they are more important for gloss finished ukes then others I saw some 3/8" black felt washers at Ace Hardware. They are about 1/16" or so too small. When compressed, wouldn't that work out pretty well?

I didn't know strap buttons were supposed to have felt washers. What does the washer do?

I didn't know strap buttons were supposed to have felt washers. What does the washer do?

As I understand it, they are primarily to protect gloss finishes. The strap button, when tightened down, can "crack" the finish, and many musicians don't want that to happen anywhere on the instrument, for any reason. Same reason I had my luthier "touch up" a ding on a used Pono I bought. Also same reason I had a chip in my windsheild repaired that compromised the lamination in the glass...so it wouldn't get any worse.

I just went to my local craft supply and bought a sheet of felt that has an adhesive back. It comes in 8.5 x 11 and it worked great. I had to cut them out but that was simple. I find that it also help against marring a soft wood top as well. I use ceder and it can dent or mar easy.

Top Bottom