Felt Pads for Strap Buttons

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I spent the big bucks ($21.35) at Stewart-MacDonald to get two tortoise shell strap buttons for my Cocobolo. To my surprise, they did not come with those felt washers. I see they are listed for $3.35 plus shipping for ten. I installed them without the washers. These are the buttons I should have ordered when I got the Cocobolo.

Usually, I buy a pack of half a dozen or more buttons for just a few dollars, and they come with screws and washers. Live and learn.

I make them from leather scrap using a compass from a drafting set with a small Xacto blade where the pencil lead would go. ... but yeah, at the prices Stewmac wants, they oughtta come with washers.

I spent $24 for two of those Waverly tortoise strap buttons plus a ten pack of the felt washers from StewMac. I wanted something nicer for my KoAloha special issue LN soprano. Expensive, but less than Amazon at $15.33 each and no felt washer. The buttons themselves and the washers probably came to about $16 & the rest was shipping.

My thought was to use those small, round felt pads that are made to adhere to the bottom of things that might sit on top of a nice piece of furniture..... Like a lamp, or figurine, or vase. They have an adhesive backing that could be use to adhere them to the strap button, or not. They usually come in dark colors and cost about $1.99 for 20. $0.02.

Jerry, LMII has free US shipping - you can get a pair of felt strap button cushions from them for $1.10 shipped.

My thought was to use those small, round felt pads that are made to adhere to the bottom of things that might sit on top of a nice piece of furniture..... Like a lamp, or figurine, or vase. They have an adhesive backing that could be use to adhere them to the strap button, or not. They usually come in dark colors and cost about $1.99 for 20. $0.02.
I wouldn't want adhesive here: either you put it against the instrument and risk damage there or put the adhesive away from the instrument and collect dirt and grime: eww!

The Iluak strap pin (button) comes with a leather washer. Buy a pair (cheaper) and they include a threaded tap for the hole because the screw is embedded in the pin itself. Easy peasy.

I like them better than the Waverly because there isn't a screw-head showing. And, it's cheaper to buy directly from the company. They have great customer service.

I believe they are renovating their shop and website. www.iluak.com

But i have Waverly pins on some ukes and the less expensive metal ones on others.

I go for rubber washers if self installing. Felt you can get at Walmart or any craft store for tiny amounts of moola.

I spent $24 for two of those Waverly tortoise strap buttons plus a ten pack of the felt washers from StewMac. I wanted something nicer for my KoAloha special issue LN soprano. Expensive, but less than Amazon at $15.33 each and no felt washer. The buttons themselves and the washers probably came to about $16 & the rest was shipping.

I wouldn't get them again. There are silver, gold, and black buttons available for a fraction of the price. I try to match the color of the button to the color scheme of the uke. Looking back, I see that I bought ten silver buttons for $8.99, with screws and washers.

I wouldn't get them again. There are silver, gold, and black buttons available for a fraction of the price. I try to match the color of the button to the color scheme of the uke. Looking back, I see that I bought ten silver buttons for $8.99, with screws and washers.
Yeah, probably too big of a splurge for a strap button. But I wanted something different that just silver, gold, or black. Those Iluak buttons look cool, but their website has been down for awhile.

I've never used a washer!? :D :shaka:

Stewmac stuff is nice, I have their snakewood buttons. but it is kind of spendy, then they always add shipping, which is also expensive! I've canceled a couple orders for tools, because the shipping just adds too much.

Stewmac stuff is nice, I have their snakewood buttons. but it is kind of spendy, then they always add shipping, which is also expensive! I've canceled a couple orders for tools, because the shipping just adds too much.

I've realized I'm completely spoiled by Prime. Anything over $3 shipping annoys me, even though I know shipping costs them money and shipping costs have actually gone done from the pre-Prime days when companies added a hefty "handling" charge to their shipping costs.

I've realized I'm completely spoiled by Prime. Anything over $3 shipping annoys me, even though I know shipping costs them money and shipping costs have actually gone done from the pre-Prime days when companies added a hefty "handling" charge to their shipping costs.

Years ago, I bought a grandfather's clock from a catalog, and I had to drive about an hour to Railway Express to pick it up. The guy in the office gave me the paperwork. As I looked it over, I saw a charge of some kind. I asked him what it was for, and he was annoyed that I had asked. "Oh, that's a standard charge. They all add that." I think the technical term is "padding the bill."

I have also changed my mind about buying something when I see the shipping charge. Stewart-MacDonald has something similar to Prime, but it's only $39.95 for a year of free shipping. Unlike Amazon, I don't buy enough from S-W to make that worthwhile. When I was buying a lot from them, I paid the fee, and that was worth it.

Just got a full sheet of black felt material at Walmart, in the sewing and crafts section. It was all of $.23. Place it on some scrap wood, screw on your strap pin, then trim around it with a razor blade. You'll have enough for a lifetime of ukes...unless you're UkeZilla, buying multple ukes weekly
:)
20190513_152529.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom