Dusting off my collection

jimavery

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Some of my five ukes almost never get played, so I've decided to take each one, in turn, to my local monthly ukulele jam. Today it'll be the turn of my little Aquila iUke. It's tuned CFAD, so I've loaded up all the songs into Songbook in chordpro format on my tablet so I can transpose on the fly.

Wish me luck! :)

I need to do this, too. End of last year, I did bring a different one every week with me to school to show to my new ukulele student and to give each of the ukus a little love. It's helpful for them to see/hear/try different sizes, strings, necks, and tone woods, and I can give them a little bit of education and, possibly, some UAS (oops). I want to do it again very soon.

Good luck playing that tiny uke and good luck with your computer transposing your songs for you.

Thanks Mike, the transposing (in Songbook app on Android) worked flawlessly, although actually playing an iUke for about two hours was an experience I won't want to repeat in a hurry. The low light of the evening was Wendy saying "Hey Jim, you've got a small one!".

Next month will be the turn of the banjo uke (in D6 tuning).

@jimavery I salute you! I try to play each of my ukuleles at least once every week or three. I am stay with a single primary instrument for 80% of my playing and essentaily all of my practice time to help me build a more consistent technique. Yet every time I play one of my other ukuleles, I am surprised by how wonderful each instrument plays in its own right. It doesn't change the pecking order of the instruments, but it reminds me that I am very lucky to have such a choice. It's also fun to refresh my memory and see how my evaluation of the sound and feel of the instruments changes with time as my ear and playing progress.

It's a lot of fun to rediscover how much I like playing a particular tenor that I haven't played for a month or three. Kind f like having a birthday every month. Or three.

"A very merry unbirthday to me..."

Top Bottom