Don't be afraid of friction tuners!

Is the issue that cheap friction tuners don't work as well as cheap geared tuners, but once you try good frictions they're okay?

I like friction. And, friction tuners. For all the reason many of you mention.

Now, here's a test. Today by FedEx I will receive my Kiwaya Master Series tenor. It was expensive, very, and has Grotoh frictions. So, the jury will speak: how well do quality friction tuners hold tune on a higher string tension tenor?

I'll have to let you know.

I have very cheap friction tuners on one of my ukes and they work fine. I just bought 10 dollar friction tuners ( much better that the cheap ones I just mentioned ) and they work great.

If the situation were reversed I'd change the tuners, but alterations on a Kamaka could ruin the value.

The OEM tuners on my KoAloha soprano are heavy and large, so I put some Grover 3Ws on. They work fine and are small and light. I've kept the OEM tuners. If I ever sell this 'uke, I'll just reinstall them. You can do this with your Kamaka. No loss of value as long as you don't alter the headstock.

Another fan of friction tuners. When I got my Ohana PK-25 pineapple, I fell in love with them. So much so, that I ordered a set for my Kala Pineapple to banish geared tuners from my ukes! The only thing I don't like is when they put them too close together (as on the SK-35), it makes it awkward to tune them, but I guess that's due to the headstock being not so wide.

Jury in: the tenor with Grotoh Deluxe tuners works wonderfully, even at tenor string tension. At first, I questioned it, but the strings were neww--now playing for about five hours over two days, it's actually "spot on", just like my KoAloha soprano. I really dig them.

It's funny--pretty much whenever you see someone who doesn't like friction tuners, they are always posting, "I have an old ukulele with friction tuners and I just must replace them," or something similar. It's a shame that the 2-3 piece friction tuner in their uke has turned them off to them, whereas a $45 dollar set of 9 piece Grotoh Deluxe or similar, and they'd be lifelong converts.

Sort of like playing tennis with an old wooden racquet, then quickly giving up on the sport.

Some people would like to give the world a Coke--I'd like to give them all a quality set of friction tuners. lol

Is the issue that cheap friction tuners don't work as well as cheap geared tuners, but once you try good frictions they're okay?

I'd say there is good and bad with both types of tuners. Whilst ultra cheap gears may feel sticky or clunky, they do tend to hold. Ultra cheap frictions can be completely unusable. I think that's where beginners prefer gears, and cheap manufacturers do also.

Good gears are great, but I just don't like the look of them on smaller ukers. Good frictions feel different to gears but work just fine.

I have one more friction tuner question before I make a purchase (in the near future)... how long can quality friction tuners hold their tuning? Let's say you're using flourocarbons so fluctuation on the strings' part is kept minimal. The screws are AOK and tight enough. Is it possible to tune before leaving the house, then play one or two songs maybe four or five hours later without having to retune again? Do some ukes stay in tune a whole week?

My Kiwaya and KoAloha friction tuners stay in tune indefinitely. Think of it this way...if you tighten the Phillips head screw of the tuner almost rock solid, the tuners would not change at all (the only change in tune would be if the strings stretched). Sort of like a Floyd Rose tuning system on a guitar--it'd be "locked".

But, in reality, they stay put without anchoring them down to that degree. Even on my high string tension tenor ukulele.

I have one more friction tuner question before I make a purchase (in the near future)... how long can quality friction tuners hold their tuning? Let's say you're using flourocarbons so fluctuation on the strings' part is kept minimal. The screws are AOK and tight enough. Is it possible to tune before leaving the house, then play one or two songs maybe four or five hours later without having to retune again? Do some ukes stay in tune a whole week?

My koaloha, my flea and my fluke, when the strings are fully settled, hold tuning indefinitely.

I admit im still afraid of friction tuners . the one set i tried was obviously not good ones . i have a old Burko baritone ive refinished i might try a good set on

The ones I recently bought were about £15 for four. Comparing them to the Koaloha tuners ( and took both sets apart) they are identical. I personally see no reason to spend more as these ones are smooth as butter.

On my ukes with friction tuners and well-settled fluorocarbon strings I've occasionally had them hold a tune for several weeks (and i use a very precise stroboclip tuner). Properly adjusted quality friction tuners don't slip, period. The tuning "drift" I see is mostly due to temperature differences and such that affect the uke regardless of the tuners.

One caveat - if you have unusually high tension strings (a tenor with "hard" strings, for example) they might have more tendency to slip. (EDIT: or maybe not, see steve's post :) )

John

Last edited:
You're right in all regards, John.

On my Kiwaya tenor with Grotoh Deluxes, I do try to stay away from high tension strings. I took off it's low tension Hilos and placed Southcoast Mediums, which are, according to Dirk, middle tension strings. The tuners stay in tune (as you say, once the strings settle down).

But, honestly, I don't know if I'd try actual high tension tenor strings. Well, I might, but who knows. For instance, high tension Southcoasts, or I have a set of Aaron C. HMS custom tenor strings here (came in my combo pack) that specifically say, "warning: high tension" (no kidding!), well, I don;t think I'll use those. Frankly, I can't imagine why I'd use specifically high tension strings anyhow. I think regluing bridges is just not my bag, baby. lol

Top Bottom