Cookies

Mike $

Reaction score
When I bake cookies, I usually bake the cookies off two or three at a time, freeze the rest and bake them off as I "need" them. The system works great I have three logs in the freezer now that are fantastic. One is the classic Nestle Toll House cookies, Soft and Chewy Almond cookies, and Peant Butter cookies. Right now I have a pan of Biscottis in the oven and the house smells so delicious...even the cat is enjoying it. Never made biscotti before, so I hope they taste half as good as they smell.

When I bake cookies, I usually bake the cookies off two or three at a time, freeze the rest and bake them off as I "need" them. The system works great I have three logs in the freezer now that are fantastic. One is the classic Nestle Toll House cookies, Soft and Chewy Almond cookies, and Peant Butter cookies. Right now I have a pan of Biscottis in the oven and the house smells so delicious...even the cat is enjoying it. Never made biscotti before, so I hope they taste half as good as they smell.
Sounds lovely. Biscotti taste better the next day and better and better... I made orange biscotti once and first day was disappointed- next day- yum!

I like cookies. 😁

We bake batches at a time, freeze them in small groups, and take a group out to thaw and eat. They freeze/thaw just fine.

My favorites are chewy chocolate chip; peanut butter; no bake (chocolate or peanut butter); and banana cream (a newly obtained recipe).

If you've never tried an ANZAC biscuit, or cookie, as I call them, do yourself a favor and make some. They have oats and coconut, traditionally they are dry and crisp, but they are also great soft and chewy. They have a cool history too.

Since you bake your cookies off in small batches, have you ever tried to bake them in a toaster oven? I had a very good friend who swore that was the ultimate trick for texture. They took their chocolate chip cookies very seriously. Even though they supported the Nestle boycott in all other respects, they still insisted on using the Nestle Toll House chocolate chips. I think they even used the recipe on the package as their go-to recipe. But the toaster oven baking would give the cookies a crisp, brown, and caramalized exterior incasing an interior that was soft and creamy.

Mike, you’ve made my mouth water! I actually prefer what mom refers to as “No Bake” cookies - a combo of oatmeal, chocolate and peanut butter, spooned onto a sheet of waxed paper then moved to the refrigerator to dry/ harden. Humidity, as I’ve learned the hard way, will leave them too gooey.

Since you bake your cookies off in small batches, have you ever tried to bake them in a toaster oven? I had a very good friend who swore that was the ultimate trick for texture. They took their chocolate chip cookies very seriously. Even though they supported the Nestle boycott in all other respects, they still insisted on using the Nestle Toll House chocolate chips. I think they even used the recipe on the package as their go-to recipe. But the toaster oven baking would give the cookies a crisp, brown, and caramalized exterior incasing an interior that was soft and creamy.
I bake most of my cookies in the toaster oven, two by two. I reduce the heat by about 30-50 degrees because, otherwise they burn very quickly. My cookies that are baked at 350F, I bake at 310-320 and the ones I bake at 375 bake best around 325 in my toaster oven. The only time I use the real oven is when I'm baking something else just before or after the cookies. I don't like wasting electricity if I don't have to, and the toaster oven is much more efficient than the oven. Haven't had a chance to see what toaster oven temps the biscotti bakes best at though. I only made them once in the oven so far.

I bake most of my cookies in the toaster oven, two by two. I reduce the heat by about 30-50 degrees because, otherwise they burn very quickly. My cookies that are baked at 350F, I bake at 310-320 and the ones I bake at 375 bake best around 325 in my toaster oven. The only time I use the real oven is when I'm baking something else just before or after the cookies. I don't like wasting electricity if I don't have to, and the toaster oven is much more efficient than the oven. Haven't had a chance to see what toaster oven temps the biscotti bakes best at though. I only made them once in the oven so far.
Right on. I was wondering how much energy you were using if baking two or three cookies on their own in a conventional oven. Do you think the texture of your cookies are enhanced by the intense direct heat of the toaster oven?

These are some ginger cookies made with molasses. I make them in rather large batches to share with others. These were from last weekend which yielded about 165 cookies. They are soft and chewy. I like them to be uniform in size and thickness, so I actually weigh out 20 grams of dough before forming it into a ball and rolling the ball in granulated sugar. I bake them for 9 minutes at 350 F and they form themselves into these perfect discs of joy. I like the sparkle of the sugar and the random cracks on the surface that remind me of some sort of elemental ceramic pottery.

IMG_2137.jpgIMG_2140.jpg

Those look like the most perfect molasses ginger cookies. The ur-molasses ginger cookie. So beautiful. So yummy. I'm a big fan of this particular breed of cookie. Especially if they're properly ginger-y.

Right on. I was wondering how much energy you were using if baking two or three cookies on their own in a conventional oven. Do you think the texture of your cookies are enhanced by the intense direct heat of the toaster oven?
They usually come out pretty good either way I bake them. I haven't noticed that they are better in the toaster oven. But they make me happier because I save on my energy bill and the house doesn't get overheated in summertime.

Was supposed to bake Danish Butter cookies for Christmas this weekend, but postponed it due to some water in the basement.

Not like your American cookies, not soft and chewy, but thin, crispy and buttery.
And sooo good.

They usually come out pretty good either way I bake them. I haven't noticed that they are better in the toaster oven. But they make me happier because I save on my energy bill and the house doesn't get overheated in summertime.
It would be interesting if you could experiment with the time and temperature in the toaster oven. You compensate for the intensity of the toaster oven by lowering the temperature; what if you kept with the recommended temperature setting and 'rescued' the cookies from over-browning? It could be the path to crunchy surrounding chewy, if that is as appealing to you as it is to me.

Top Bottom