Coffee

If you haven’t seen the dark comedy “The Bucket List”, I recommend it solely for the hilarious hospital room exchange in one of the very early scenes between Morgan Freeman’s character in reference to a certain uber- pricey coffee favored by Jack Nicholson’s character.

I went to the store to replace my Lavazza coffee and they were out of it. No problem, I wanted to try several of the suggested ones, but I forgot what people said. I looked and looked and nothing rang a bell. I finally decided to give Cafe Bustelo a try. I wasn't too keen on it since I was never too crazy about cuban coffee, living most of my life in Florida, that's probably the most sold coffee down south. Anyway, I came home and tried it out right away and it was delicious. Much more so than I expected. It says Espresso coffee on the tin, but it wasn't overly strong, in fact it had such a nice aroma and flavor...very smooth but bold without any acidy taste. I am very happy with this. before I finished my cup, I brewed a cup of the leftover Lavazza coffee and in a side to side taste test, I really enjoyed the Cafe Bustelo much more. Maybe I'm crazy, but I really love it. AND, it's less expensive. So far it is at the top of my list (very short list because I haven't made or bought too much coffee).
1. Cafe Bustelo
2. Lavazza Classico med roast
3. Dunkin Donuts original blend
4. Great Value Colombian blend
there are several others I have tried but I don't remember them too much. Looking forward to adding to the list.

Coffee purists will insist on a pour over or coffee press; I’m very content with our K-Cup machine.

My wife pointed out the price differences of the K-Cups versus buying bags, so our solution was to use the reusable filters they sell on Amazon. That was pretty messy in cleanup, so we now also buy the unbleached filter cups to use inside the filters, which makes the whole process easier.

I’ll try a lot of different flavored coffees, but I generally stick to rum and caramel sort of flavors. I bought a bag of Lion Vanilla Macadamia Nut in Honolulu this past March, and regret not purchasing a few more bags when I was there (no good online ordering solutions). The best prices were at Walmart near Waikiki, incidentally.

My go-to coffee every morning is a Minnesota brand, Cameron’s Coffee, their Highlander Grog. Highly recommended. While Highlander Grog is not specific to Cameron’s, the blend is the best I have found. I also very much liked Berres Brothers (Watertown, WI) Cinnaman Grog.

I’m working though a couple of bags of Kauai Coffee that was on a BOGO sale at a local “ritzy“ grocery store (Lunds/Byerlys for those in the area), and also a couple of bags of small batch local roasters that were gifted to me.

I started a Tik Tok channel with coffee reviews, but lost interest in going any further with it.

I'm definitely not a coffee purist, as I drink mine iced with white chocolate powder as my cream and sugar. But I  am picky. I brew a Bialetti daily with fresh ground beans using my Hario. I like traveling with these, so I can buy local beans and make coffee the way I like it, wherever I go.

As for the beans, I love Philz Philharmonic! But I just watches a documentary of coffee farmers in Ethiopia that guilt tripped me pretty bad, so now I'm on the hunt for co-op or fair trade beans. I found one roaster in the SF Bay Area named Saint Frank that I'm drinking currently, but want to explore more.

If anyone has tips on fair trade beans in the SF Bay or Seattle areas, I'm all ears!.. and tastebuds... and olfactory receptors.

We like a local coffee outfit and pick up bags to make at home. One thing we treat ourselves on is coffee.
They have punch cards and Tuesday is double punches so my wife buys on Tuesdays. When card is full get a free bag.

Colectivo - you can do web orders. I like Blue Heeler.

Picked up a "K" brand coffee at the store that's marketed as Hawaiian and when I looked at the box it says 20% grown in Hawaii. No clue where the other 80% comes from. Dark roast had a decent taste and worth the sale price.

I figure it's the coffee equivalent of a good laminate uke with a solid Koa top or at least that's the connection I made.

Perhaps the best of Peet's coffees is in a limited release now. If you have been thinking of trying Peet's, this is a great place to begin.

I enjoy my daily coffee and appreciate a high-quality cup, but I'm not what you would call a coffee snob. My morning brew is Costco Columbian Supremo whole bean, ground fresh in an inexpensive burr grinder, brewed in a Capresso drip coffee machine into a thermal carafe. I usually manage two large mugs before I'm ready to tackle my day. After dinner, I brew a medium-large cup (4-5 oz) of Cafe Bustelo in a cheap espresso machine. If I'm feeling decadent, sometimes I'll squirt a teaspoon or two of dark chocolate syrup into the cup to mellow it out. I'm fortunate that caffeine doesn't give me any problems, even in the evening...blood pressure is good, and I get a solid eight hours of sleep almost every night. All in all, coffee isn't a bad drug to be addicted to! 😛:coffee:

My wife just bought some Korean coffee - think it's called Kanu & it's really good! Don't know anything else about it, except need 2 packets to make a regular sized cup of coffee.

Perhaps the best of Peet's coffees is in a limited release now. If you have been thinking of trying Peet's, this is a great place to begin.

That's gotta be the most flavourful and interesting coffee that's not artificially flavored I've ever encountered. Tastes like blueberries and yeasty beer to me. Wasn't sure I liked it at first, but it's grown on me. Thanks @rainbow21 for the tip.

Have been seeing all these recipes for Bulletproof Coffee, which supposedly has many health benefits. Usually made with Coffee, coconut oil, cinnamon, butter, and almond milk, in a blender. Personally, I don't want butter in my Coffee, and don't want the PIA of using a blender, or even a small handheld mini blender. I just take a heavy Pyrex 2 cup measuring cup, put in a teaspoon of coconut oil (which is a waxy semi-solid consistency), pour in just a bit of coffee to cover it (I like strong dark roast), mash the coconut oil with a fork until it all melts, then add the rest of the hot coffee (usually up to 12 oz), a couple sprinkles of cinnamon, light cream, and a bit of Stevia sweetener. Then, I just take a simple handheld wire cooking mixer/whip, put it in the measuring cup, with handle between hands, and spin it between hands a bit, until you get a nice frothy foam on top. Very easy and tasty, reminds me of a cappuccino.

Top Bottom