Coffee

Mike $

Reaction score
Which coffees are the best taste for not so much cash?

Just got a reusable K-Cup for my Keurig so I will soon be buying and drinking more coffee at a reasonable price. I bought the cheapest coffee they had at Walmart so I could experiment and see if the reusable K-Cup even works (the first cheapo I got didn't). I like Lavazza the best, Folgers and Dunkin' always hit the spot.

Last edited:
Since coffee prices have shot up into the stratosphere, I've stuck with Folgers. I only drink half caffeine, as too much caffeine raises my blood pressure.
(But not as much as politics)

I get 8 O'clock at Walmart. Good taste, inexpensive, and reminds me of the old A and P grocery I went to 50 some years ago.
Good call...I used to get 8 o'clock back in the day.

Doesn't much matter, as I just like a little coffee with my cream and sugar.

I was buying 2lb bags of Costa Rican beans from Costco and manually grinding them. But I've gotten tired of the wait every morning and resorted to pre-ground Peet's via subscription.

his bean-grinding is what gets me up in the morning—the noise, not the lovely aroma.
TOTALLY off the OP topic ... my SIL is driven mental by all the beeping noises that their appliances make in the morning when her husband is getting his breakfast prepared. She suspects he buys these appliance gadgets specifically for the beeping, not for their supposed functionality.

We are coffee snobs here, I guess. There are a few local roasters that we get whole beans from for our low-end Saeco. And at the community cafe I volunteer at, we have a very fancy schmancy espresso machine and we just use one of the local roasters for that, too (different roaster, though, than what we use at home). When we make bulk perc coffee for events, we use the Costco Kirkland ground and it seems to be quite popular.

My husband isn't picky, though - if it's caffeinated and remotely coffee-like, he'll drink it. I mean, he prefers good tasting coffee, but he really doesn't mind when caffeine is the top priority.

By the way - what is the price pain point on coffee for you folks? I have no idea...

I was a Starbucks Barista for 12 years, and still like many of the dark roasts, Guatemala, Casi Cielo, and Thanksgiving Blend. Having retired with more than 10 years, and being over 55 at the time, I get a pound a week, free.

But I will not drink that red-bagged swill they foist off on everyone in November and December, regardless of the price. This time of year, I drink venti (aka large) 5-shot Americanos.

TOTALLY off the OP topic ... my SIL is driven mental by all the beeping noises that their appliances make in the morning......
Speaking of appliance noises, my wife (who doesn't drink coffee) uses her Nutribullet to make disgusting looking smoooothies. Picture being in a nice tiki bar where they're making slushy Mai Tais in one of those industrial size blenders ..... except AT 5:30 IN THE MORNING! Gaa!
By the way - what is the price pain point on coffee for you folks? I have no idea...
I have no pain price point for coffee if it's good.

AT 5:30 IN THE MORNING!
I sympathize. I live on a farm (you may have gleaned that information from my user titles). I get turkeys and roosters waking me up at unnecessarily ridiculous hours.

I don't drink coffee (for the most part, it's too high octane for me, I save it for emergency headache relief), so I don't even have the benefit of having a fresh cuppa joe when the damned birds rip me out of sleep, and everyone else is just giving up and getting up to drink coffee. Ugh.

I've never been a coffee drinker, manly because I'm not into hot drinks, and the caffeine wires me. When I was prop man in the movie studios and had to be on the set really early, I'd have half a cup of coffee and be wired for hours.

A couple years ago I read that coffee could be good for you, so I bought a K-Cup machine, which came with a fill your own cup. I tried it for a short time, but still couldn't get into drinking hot.

I prefer 100% arabica 😆.

Once there was a great price on a huge bag of coffee beans at the local supermarket. Almost half price of the special offer price I usually pay for Lavazza. Checked the contents... 100% robusta. That explains! Also tried buying a bag of beans that looked fancy, at an in between price. Tasted awful. Looked for the ingredients list ... There were none. They must be ashamed of the type of coffee used.

My favorite is Lavazza Oro, the mountain grown edition that comes in a black bag in stead of a gold one. I have no clue if it is available in The States, perhaps some Italian coffee only makes it to Europe, and I imagine a lot of the other brands I use are quite local to Denmark.

What is more interesting is how to brew the coffee. I use a Saeco bean-to-cup.
Fresh ground beans are the best. Espresso based coffee is awesome, filter coffee can also be great.
My least favorite brewing method is French press. Too often it turns out bitter with grains in it. If you get those in your mouth, French press coffee turns to BAD press covfefe...

My least favorite brewing method is French press. Too often it turns out bitter with grains in it. If you get those in your mouth, French press coffee turns to BAD press covfefe...
That is interesting. I've been watching Comedians in Cars drinking Coffee, the Seinfeld thing... and was a bit shocked to see so much mokka pot/cafetiere type coffee there is in the USA; I wondered if Europe has become the coffee fusspot base. But I'd agree. Forgetting about the grains getting through bit, it's substantially less good coffee than a pressurised espresso type feed, or filter.

I don't do caffeine but I drink moka java (decaf) because that's the blend characters were drinking in a Jules Verne novel I once read. I make it in an over-engineered stainless steel mokka pot that is meant to be, and is, the next step in the evolution of the aluminum Italian pots.

Top Bottom