Coffee

Here in Canada our favourite are Melitta beans (they get the roasting just right) that I hand grind for old style coffee maker. Used to be available for about $10 per kg but unfortunately price has gone up quite a bit.

Been trying some Barako Phiilippines coffee bean mix - quite dark roast with 50% liberica beans (the third type, least used...). It is characterful - smells pretty rank on grinding but the resulting coffee is different. Liberica beans are worth experiencing once.

Have been seeing all these recipes for Bulletproof Coffee, which supposedly has many health benefits. Usually made with Coffee, coconut oil, cinnamon, butter, and almond milk, in a blender. Personally, I don't want butter in my Coffee, and don't want the PIA of using a blender, or even a small handheld mini blender. I just take a heavy Pyrex 2 cup measuring cup, put in a teaspoon of coconut oil (which is a waxy semi-solid consistency), pour in just a bit of coffee to cover it (I like strong dark roast), mash the coconut oil with a fork until it all melts, then add the rest of the hot coffee (usually up to 12 oz), a couple sprinkles of cinnamon, light cream, and a bit of Stevia sweetener. Then, I just take a simple handheld wire cooking mixer/whip, put it in the measuring cup, with handle between hands, and spin it between hands a bit, until you get a nice frothy foam on top. Very easy and tasty, reminds me of a cappuccino.
Yeah, no....

I like the flavor of coffee.

Back when I started drinking coffee in College, i started with either 1/2 cup cream & sugar (neither half & half nor 2% seemed to exist back then - it was cream, whole milk, boxed non-fat dry milk - soon followed by bottled skim - evaporated milk, or sweetened condensed milk, and/or chocolate milk) topped with coffee, or a package of Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate Mix with coffee poured over the top. As the years progressed, It was light and sweet coffee, then no sugar/skim milk, then a Mocha/no whipped cream, Mocha/half the pumps, and finally either a latte, a cappuccino, or a black coffee, which really is my favorite.

I like a dark roast, but NOT French Roast; when we used to grind French Roast Beans, it smelled like fish. And tears the hell out of my wife's stomach, mixed with milk or not. I also like most Guatemalan coffees, 100% Kona, and Kapa Vinca from the Philippines (I think that's what it was called? Haven't had it for many years.)

But if I have to add something to it to make it drinkable, it isn't worth my time. I feel the same way about adding citrus to beer.

Top Bottom