24 Days of Christmas Movies: What Did You Watch Today?

Tonight or today I will be watching Holiday Inn with Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby with the music of Irving Berlin.

That's the one! Bing and Danny Kaye did White Christmas 12 years later, after that had become the breakout song from Holiday Inn (and indeed one of the biggest of all time -- Bing was awarded the first ever Platinum record for it).

It wasn't a totally cynical move, as it also featured Rosemary Clooney and Vera Allen, and was directed by the A-list Michael Curtiz whom I usually enjoy... but not even a great song, a mostly great cast and one of my favorite directors of the era, plus Technicolor, were enough to save it.

(It was also the first film released in widescreen Vista Vision, not that you'd know it from most TV edits.)

Holiday Inn is the one, for sure.

Sometime today, I will be watching The Lion in Winter with Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn...looking forward to it since I haven't seen it yet.

Sometime today, I will be watching The Lion in Winter with Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn...looking forward to it since I haven't seen it yet.

That's a good one! After it, find time to watch the 1964 film Becket. O'Toole plays Henry II both times, is nominated for an Oscar both times, loses both times, but both movies deservedly won a ton of other awards. (Hepburn's Oscar win for Best Actress here was the first tie in Oscar history, the other winner that year being Barbra Streisand for Funny Girl.)

The events in Lion in Winter take place in one year of the epic sweep covered by Becket, and I'm not sure that there's another pair of movies that have the same guy playing the same character, without any reference to each other in either the script or the performance -- just four years apart! It's absolutely astonishing. He shoulda won best actor both times, although in Becket, he goes toe-to-toe with a towering Richard Burton, so at least that one is understandable....BUT STILL.

That's a good one! After it, find time to watch the 1964 film Becket. O'Toole plays Henry II both times, is nominated for an Oscar both times, loses both times, but both movies deservedly won a ton of other awards. (Hepburn's Oscar win for Best Actress here was the first tie in Oscar history, the other winner that year being Barbra Streisand for Funny Girl.)

The events in Lion in Winter take place in one year of the epic sweep covered by Becket, and I'm not sure that there's another pair of movies that have the same guy playing the same character, without any reference to each other in either the script or the performance -- just four years apart! It's absolutely astonishing. He shoulda won best actor both times, although in Becket, he goes toe-to-toe with a towering Richard Burton, so at least that one is understandable....BUT STILL.
I've seen Becket more than a few times. O'Toole was one of my favorite actors, but for some reason, this movie has avoided my attention.

I've seen Becket more than a few times. O'Toole was one of my favorite actors, but for some reason, this movie has avoided my attention.

All the more reason to enjoy Lion, then! He's one of my favorites too -- I'd add The Ruling Class, Stuntman, and Goodbye Mr. Chips to a short list of faves -- but he's barely got any duds in his filmography, and an astonishing number of gems.

No movies today but my wife is insisting that we watch the sitcom Christmas episodes airing on MeTV. So far it's been two episodes each of the post-Richie Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley. These shows have been absolutely dreadful... I think I'll have to draw the line when Mama's Family comes on. On the bright side, I picked up a new song to try out on the uke from one of the Laverne and Shirley episodes.

A Christmas Story. I watch it every year.

The Grinch was on a couple of nights ago here...The Sound of Music tonight. We couldn't figure out why it is a "Christmas classic"/thing.

Today will be a double feature to catch me up from day six or seven that I missed a week or so back. In Bruges and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Didn't realize they were christmas movies when I watched them before. Now, I guess I will see them with sugar plums.

In Bruges and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

In Bruges is in my all-time top 5. Stunning, hilarious, heartbreaking.

I've never seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang -- not sure why? -- even though its writer-director Shane Black also wrote THE GREATEST Christmas action movie of all time (that isn't Die Hard...although, on some days, including today, I think this one might even be better!), The Long Kiss Goodnight, starring Geena Davis (who should have been the biggest action star ever, imo), Samuel L. Davis, and a nifty supporting turn from Brian Cox. The trailer does a nice job of setting all this up, even if they don't exactly stick the landing that this is all set at Christmas, which plays a very specific role in both the plot and its resolution.

The plot is fairly slight, and the trailer tells the tale. A small-town schoolteacher with amnesia finds her memories resurfacing when people are trying to kill her -- oops! She used to be an assassin, and the accident that took her memory conveniently dropped her off the grid, and she's now in the crosshairs of some truly bad dudes....but mostly, she's a badass and sh** blows up. At Christmas. LOL Awesome!

Folks, I owned this on LASERDISC when it came out. Geena Davis says that it's her favorite role (although Thelma is a close second), and Sam Jackson has said that it's his favorite of his films to watch. It's my favorite role of both of them, too, and regardless, a terrific time.

Shane's scripts are famous for gratuitous "humor", and there are definitely some "jokes" I found objectionable at the time. Those have aged especially poorly, but the rest absolutely holds up. Amazing stunts and pyro, fantastic chemistry and performances at the top, and in addition to Brian Cox, great support from David Morse (the most menacing quiet guy EVER), Craig Bierko, and Tom Amandes. This one really should be on everyone's Christmas list! Assuming you're okay with adult language and explosions galore. :)

(Thinking about this some more, Shane also wrote Lethal Weapon, his first big payday, ALSO set at Christmas! What?!? How had I not noticed this pattern before???)

Anyway, speaking of Brian Cox, and Bruce Willis because it's Christmas and we're always at least thinking about Die Hard, I have to recommend the movie RED, starring Bruce as a retired hitman who's been targeted for assassination (what with him knowing too much and all) AT CHRISTMAS. (We discover that RED stands for "Retired, Extremely Dangerous".) There's a really cute wraparound with Willis's Frank flirting with the cute-sounding Social Security account supervisor (Mary-Louise Parker! Actually cute, especially here!). After he foils the assassination attempt, he can't think of where he could go that his pursuers wouldn't already be watching...so he uses his spycraft to wind up on Mary-Louis Parker's doorstep!

He's now put her in danger, so he scoops her up to find some trusted former colleagues: John Malkovich, Morgan Freeman, and, the most gleefully bloodthirsty of them all, Helen Mirren!!! Also, the way she calls Bruce's character Frank "Fraahhhn-cis" is delightful!

I mentioned Brian Cox -- Karl Urban is in this too! Hilarious cameos from Ernest Borgnine and Richard Dreyfuss too! An absolute Murderer's Row of a cast, appropriately enough, and wall to wall hilarity and action. I absolutely adore this movie!

This is from 2010, so Malkovich's stock was much higher than Brian Cox's at the time, and indeed Cox doesn't show up in the trailer at all, but trust me, he's got a major supporting role that blossoms and expands in the sequel, the cleverly named RED 2, also recommended, but not set at Christmas. In fact, the sequel takes this magnificent cast and adds Anthony Hopkins, David Thewlis, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and an absolutely explosive Lee Byung-hun.

Anyway, it's not a great trailer, and only has two brief shots of Christmas lights, but it's a terrific movie. Positively wholesome compared to In Bruges and Long Kiss Goodnight, too! :ROFLMAO:

It's crazy to me that Brian Cox STILL wasn't rating the trailer for RED 2 (he's been one of my favorites for ages, and as far as I'm concerned, the ONLY Hannibal Lecter worth remembering, in Michael Mann's Manhunter -- and I told him so when I met him at the Palm Springs Film Festival in 2015, and he appeared delighted), but hey, a better trailer anyway, which I hope will provide further inducement to add RED to your appropriately inappropriate holiday viewing!

Last edited:
You watched all of these today?

I'm just talking about movies based on movies people are talking about. I'm in INSANE production mode at work right now, and don't think I'll be able to watch a movie before February. :ROFLMAO: Sorry to somewhat deviate from the topic, and I wish I wasn't kidding, but if I find time to watch a movie before the end of February, I'll be shocked.

Fortunately, I've seen thousands of 'em -- more than a little obsessed with 'em -- and remember more than I sometimes wish I did. LOL And I do love Christmas movies in general, especially ones where stuff blows up! Ho ho ho!

Yes. Love her.

I chatted with her a couple of times! When I was managing a Barnes & Noble in Baltimore, she was shooting The Accidental Tourist with William Hurt, and she stopped in now and again. She'd just done The Fly with her then-fella Jeff Goldblum, and I thought she was amazing in that...but I was trying to keep my cool, and didn't bug her about it (pun not intended, but inevitable 🤣).

Among the books she bought on her second visit: The Accidental Tourist! Written of course by the Bard of Baltimore Anne Tyler. After she left, I was kicking myself for not asking her if she'd read it already, or if she had preferred to stick with the adapted script as her guide.

Ah well, whatever her process, she won a much-deserved Oscar for the role. I take very little credit. Hardly any at all, really. 🤣

Anyway, this was early 1988. She'd exploded off the screen in Tootsie in 1982, and I really liked her in a couple of mid-decade sitcoms (Buffalo Bill starring Dabney Coleman, and as the lead in the short -lived Sara, along with Alfred Woodard and Bronson Pinchot), but 1988, this was where she took off: Beetlejuice, Earth Girls Are Easy (with Jeff again), and Accidental Tourist in a 6 month span. Wowza!

Again, I take only the smallest credit. 🤣

Joking of course. She couldn't have been more gracious, and I loved seeing her for those couple of weeks.

And what's the name of her character in Long Kiss Goodnight? Charlene BALTIMORE!!! Hmmm, should I be taking more credit? 🤔

🤣🤣🤣

Tonight's feature is Gremlins - 1984. Do not expose it to light, especially sunlight which will kill it. Do not let it come into contact with water, and above all, never feed it after midnight.

Top Bottom