Season 637 - Here and Now

I'm trying to not getting too comfortable being unemployed, and although I've lined up a new teaching gig here in Yangon, it doesn't start until June. So this song expresses a 'here and now'ness that can be utterly unpredictable, world-changing and gut-wrenching when the thing you've been doing in your now is suddenly taken away from you after 10 years of loyal service.

David Bowie was always changing his persona. Pablo Picasso had different periods in his career. When life throws you a curved ball and you strike out, for whatever reason, you have to reinvent yourself... I know because I went from a bioinformatics buff to a taxi driver. We all need to adapt to survive.

"πολλὰ δ᾽ ἀέλπτως κραίνουσι θεοί" (loosely translated, "the gods bring many matters to surprising ends").

I went to the Doctor, told him I can't pronounce my F's, T's and H's.” He was surprised at my predicament and honesty and replied
“Well you can't say fairer than that then"
Doctor: "Big breaths, miss"
Patient, with a lisp: 'Yeth, and I'm only theventeen'. :)

An old hymn we sang in church growing up, Here I am, Lord.

This is my first go at a Seasons! I haven't sung many songs since the start of the pandemic, so it was great to have this chance to give it a go!

I'm really enjoying hearing everyone else's contributions, too.

Bert was here last week, but now he is missing.

EDIT:
clawhammer banjolele and voice.

these drawings i made many years ago based on real life missing pets on our local SPCA Facebook page. i made them for my little nephew Gylan to colour.

Last edited:
Hope you don't mind i am using your season to share this, Marin. I just listened to John's beautiful cover and then i saw this contest. I think John might not be aware of it....

Hey John @Flatbaroque and everyone who love playing in alternate tunings, there is a contest on now on Alternate Tunings!

Last edited:
Hi John @Flatbaroque and everyone who loves playing in alternate tunings, there is a contest on now on Alternate Tunings!
You're right but the contest closed for new entries at the end of March, I think. ;)

Funny how things work out sometimes. I hadn't the time to devote to the uke and learn my song for this week til a couple days ago. And it turns out, your week hosting just happened coincide with my time in Kyoto... home to the Fushimi Inari Taisha. This is the head shrine of all Japan for the "Inari" kami (deity), which just so happens to have the fox (kitsune) as its main animal symbol and messenger.

I visited this shrine a couple days ago, solo, and again today with my wifey. On my solo trip, I was left to my own devices and couldn't help but feed my MAS (Mask Acquisition Syndrome), once I saw all the amazing kitsune masks at the top of the hike. It was a total impulse buy and I'm sure I was overcharged, but I was stoked and the mask has extra special meaning after the effort it took me to get up there and find it.

Since I had it, I figured I might as well share "Wish You Were Here" by Incubus whilst wearing it. My wife's probably right when she tells me she can't hear the words with the mask on, but I went with it anyways.

While I'm at it, thought I'd share some more fox pics from the shrine. Probably passed hundreds of fox statues, images, amulets, etc on my away around the shrine!

I can't remember if I shared the thought in my last post, but I think it's kinda funny once folks find out that you're into something. The next thing you know, you've got yourself a collection of that thing and people tend to think of you when they see it. I got my buddy's kiddo an owl charm on our trip, since he's the only person I know who's into owls. By the time he's 18, I'm sure he'll be swamped with owl knick-knacks.

Anyways... here's some foxes for ya!

kitsune masks.jpg
Fushimi Inari.jpg Fushimi Inari - dolled up.jpg

So, I've been procrastinating on learning this 2024 Beatles tune. I actually tried to play along to it with my tenor and I didn't love it. Fast forward to today (Saturday) and I tuned up my baritone and recorded this straight from the phone with no mics and the bari isn't plugged in (note, there's no chamber on this uke).

This is basically my first run through the full song and just working it out before I plug in...My singing isn't good, so that'll be replaced with the piano.

I also just realized there's a slide guitar solo, sooooo that's going to be fun to learn on top of all the other stuff. Hahahaha. I now remember why I was procrastinating even though it's not the most complex song.

It's going to be a time crunch since I'm signed up for a Fusion dance weekend (3 days of dancing with folks from all over)...And I'm already exhausted from late dance night last night.

Anyway, the clock is ticking (and I still haven't logged off).

Hi Marin!

Returning from a road trip, I pulled over at a rest stop and brought this one by Jimmie Rodgers.

Hey Rick, your video settings are for "content made for kids" so I can't add it to the playlist or comment. Let me know if you switch it back, and I'll get it in there!

Here's my attempt of "I See The Light," a song from the Disney movie 'Tangled.' It's supposed to be a duet, so there's a key change in the second half of the song where pretty much every chord is barred. Needless to say I struggled a lot, lol! But here's my best attempt after practicing all week.

Top Bottom