comparing soprano weight list

I have an Ailani solid Koa soprano. Ailani is long since out of business. Very straight grain Koa but an all Koa build. Comes in at 284 grams and it one of the loudest and best sounding Sopranos I own.

I don't have the weight however when a 50's Martin 0 arrived, the UPS man who delivered it asked me to open the box because he thought it was empty! I let him hold it and the amazement on his face was priceless. The box and packing material weighed more than the uke. I don't play soprano anymore but a good vintage Martin soprano is very special! :cool: (y)
As an aside, my Beansprout is the lightest tenor I have or have ever weighed (and that includes a strap button and K&K Aloha pickup and jack). It would be interesting for a soprano Beansprout owner to weigh and report.

I don't play soprano anymore but a good vintage Martin soprano is very special! :cool: (y)

As an aside, my Beansprout is the lightest tenor I have or have ever weighed
Yes, as I have said, there is a reason why the Martin ukes are pretty much the gold standard, played and cherished by countless players.

FWIW- I had a Glyph tenor many years ago (before I became enlightened to the joys of the soprano! ;) ) It was unbelievably light for a tenor. I recall that is was under 16 ounces.

I see KoAloha at 283 and 410 g but don't know what years they were built in. I am getting the impression that these formerly light weight ukes are gradually drifting into the overbuilt territory. So I hope to get some more KoAloha weights from different years on the list.

Italian 19th Century Ukulele By Stridente Circa 1890 Napoli 304g
If anyone won this today on ebay, let me know what it plays like...

Kiwaya KS5 "240-260g" quote from an owner, presumably from kitchen scales

I have weighed my Argapa Fugly Uke. It weighs 179 grams or 6.3 ounces!
Sven makes some lovely stuff, you’re lucky to have one of those.

IIRC (which is in doubt) his Traveller Ukes have a slightly shorter scale (say 12” / Sopranino) than a Soprano.

Last edited:
two curved plastic back Makala Dolphins (£10 the pair on Facebook!) 438 and 458g

Top Bottom