Comparing Sopranos--Bruko vs Mainland

polimoli

Reaction score
Hi!
New here, been browsing these forums for years but never actually made an account to post a thread--here goes!
I've been debating between getting a Bruko no. 6 from Uke Republic or a Red Cedar Soprano from Mainland Ukes.
I really enjoy the warmth and tonal change over time with cedar--my grandma has a guitar that's made from cedar that's been around since before I was born, and the voice on that guitar is pure nostalgia. Very balanced, good volume, just so much soul. But a good quality mahogany also can have a lot of soul, and balance especially, and perhaps more volume depending on the individual cuts.
So, both ukes are all solid. Both would have a pro setup included. Both could age very well. Very similar price points. Aesthetically I like them both very much. I'm a little stumped.
Many of my compositions are played with a lot of harmonics and go everywhere up the neck, so I'm very concerned with the precision of the intonation, so if anybody can comment on this that would be great!
A lot of my compositions also require a variety of alternative tunings, (F# B E A for example, or g B D B, etc) so if you think that's a relevant factor, let me know your thoughts! Not super related, but if you know of any strings that can take that much abuse, would love to hear your thoughts.
If anybody knows about any other comparable instruments, also don't hesitate to bring em up! I want your opinions!!!

thanks for this advice! Would you say that Brüko's make is more precise, then?
Yes, but only to the same extent that I presume a Mercedes to be built more precisely than, say, a Mazda without any further evidence. Not meaning to get too deep in the weeds on that line of reasoning, but the opposite is true when comparing a Volkswagen to a Lexus. ;)

Bruko is "hand made" in Germany by a family-run small business that's been making ukes for 50+ years, and violins before that.

I wouldn't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure Mainland ukes are factory-built somewhere in Asia. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Hard to do an apples-to-apples comparison of them, though.

Likely very few of us here have owned or played one or the other or both. So I recommend contacting the seller directly... call Uke Republic and explain to them what you seek. They should be able to guide you much better than most of us can, especially since you are very specific in what you seek and how you play.

Yes, but only to the same extent that I presume a Mercedes to be built more precisely than, say, a Mazda without any further evidence. Not meaning to get too deep in the weeds on that line of reasoning, but the opposite is true when comparing a Volkswagen to a Lexus. ;)
ohhh man... i know a lot less about cars than i do about 'ukuleles, so this just zipped right over my head😂

Likely very few of us here have owned or played one or the other or both. So I recommend contacting the seller directly... call Uke Republic and explain to them what you seek. They should be able to guide you much better than most of us can, especially since you are very specific in what you seek and how you play.
after scrubbing through the threads it seemed to me that many members have had at least one of these instruments/brands! that's actually how i found both brands :) edit to add: i have contacted uke republic, great people!

Bruko is "hand made" in Germany by a family-run small business that's been making ukes for 50+ years, and violins before that.

I wouldn't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure Mainland ukes are factory-built somewhere in Asia. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Hard to do an apples-to-apples comparison of them, though.
Your response was far clearer than mine.:)

Hi!
New here, been browsing these forums for years but never actually made an account to post a thread--here goes!
I've been debating between getting a Bruko no. 6 from Uke Republic or a Red Cedar Soprano from Mainland Ukes.
I really enjoy the warmth and tonal change over time with cedar--my grandma has a guitar that's made from cedar that's been around since before I was born, and the voice on that guitar is pure nostalgia. Very balanced, good volume, just so much soul. But a good quality mahogany also can have a lot of soul, and balance especially, and perhaps more volume depending on the individual cuts.
So, both ukes are all solid. Both would have a pro setup included. Both could age very well. Very similar price points. Aesthetically I like them both very much. I'm a little stumped.
Many of my compositions are played with a lot of harmonics and go everywhere up the neck, so I'm very concerned with the precision of the intonation, so if anybody can comment on this that would be great!
A lot of my compositions also require a variety of alternative tunings, (F# B E A for example, or g B D B, etc) so if you think that's a relevant factor, let me know your thoughts! Not super related, but if you know of any strings that can take that much abuse, would love to hear your thoughts.
If anybody knows about any other comparable instruments, also don't hesitate to bring em up! I want your opinions!!!

I’ve had (and sold) a couple of Bruko’s, they’re very nicely built but mine were overly percussive and overly bright sounding for me and not at all as nice as ones played by some well know continental members. I’ve not got a Mainland but I do have an Ohana Soprano and many folk say that those two companies use the same factory ….

As far as I’m concerned my Ohana all solid mahogany Soprano is a keeper. Different strokes for different folks, etc. I can’t fault Bruko’s, great instruments and a great company, but the sound I was after comes from something else. Barry Maz * did a review on the Bruko and I think that he might have done one on a Mainland too, he certainly did one on the Ohana.

IIRC Bruko’s tend to be relatively expensive (over priced?) in North America, and a relative bargain within the EU - the logistics of sale between those two markets are very different for Bruko. Mainlands tend to be well priced in North America …

* https://www.gotaukulele.com/

Last edited:
I’ve had (and sold) a couple of Bruko’s, they’re very nicely built but mine were overly percussive and overly bright sounding for me and not at all as nice as ones played by some well know continental members. I’ve not got a Mainland but I do have an Ohana Soprano and many folk say that those two companies use the same factory ….

As far as I’m concerned my Ohana all solid mahogany Soprano is a keeper. Different strokes for different folks, etc. I can’t fault Bruko’s, great instruments and a great company, but the sound I was after comes from something else. Barry Maz * did a review on the Bruko and I think that he might have done one on a Mainland too, he certainly did one on the Ohana.

IIRC Bruko’s tend to be relatively expensive (over priced?) in North America, and a relative bargain within the EU - the logistics of sale between those two markets are very different for Bruko. Mainlands tend to be well priced in North America …

* https://www.gotaukulele.com/
all great points, thanks for sharing your thoughts! i definitely want a percussive instrument and i heard the brukos tend to be quite bright but that worth brown strings can mellow out any harshness in the tone. did you happen to be using the original pyramid strings, or did you switch them out? :)

all great points, thanks for sharing your thoughts! i definitely want a percussive instrument and i heard the brukos tend to be quite bright but that worth brown strings can mellow out any harshness in the tone. did you happen to be using the original pyramid strings, or did you switch them out? :)
One of the Bruko’s that I let go had Worth Browns on it, to me the Uke still seemed too bright and percussive. Maybe time might have mellowed things, maybe I made the wrong decision or maybe that’s the way they are and some folk really like it that way. I’m pretty sure that the other Bruko didn’t have the original Pyramid strings either. Hope that’s a help.

Edit. I should have added that the Mainland will do percussive too … and other styles of play that you might also enjoy (obviously that’s based on my experience of its Ohana sister).

Last edited:
Never had or played a Mainland, but I have a Brüko No. 6. It is a well-built, solid instrument, and as someone said, it is made by a family business in Germany. For a solid wood uke, it is really a bargain (at least if you live in Europe like me), I believe there are no solid instruments available at this price and quality elsewhere. That said, I would like to point out that the (in)famous Brüko sound is not to everybody's taste. If you like a mellow sound, as you posted in the OP, then the Brüko might not be what you are looking for. If you, on the other hand, are looking for a percussive sound, that maybe can even at times be descibed as "harsh" or "rough", then the Brüko is for you. I know many that love this sound, especially for Jazz; others like they reported in this thread sold their Brükos because it was not the sound they are looking for.
Perhaps you should consider ordering your instrument directly from Germany (https://www.brueko.de/product-page/s006-sopran-ukulele?lang=en): I hear many times, the US don't even charge any custom fees with mail orders.

Last edited:
The pyramid strings that came with my Brüko when it was new about ten years ago were very thick nylon. I was glad to replace them with Worth BL, and later go for GHS' lightest weight nylon strings or Harley Benton clear nylon which are the same diameter as GHS especially when tuning ADF#B. I agree with other comments ref harsh or percussive sound (mine is maple wood by the way), but I like it and (on mine anyway) the intonation is very good indeed.

Welcome to UU, Polimoli!
I have never heard a Bruko in real life, so I don't think I an offer any advice. I do hope you get to try one before you buy! Anyway, enjoy the search and follow up with a NUD post!

Re strings, in my experience, I've tried a few steps up or down with fluorocarbon strings and they seem to cope. Maybe the tension or the sound is no longer as expected. A small adjustment of technique is perhaps enough to enable you to play your compositions.

Welcome to UU, Polimoli!
I have never heard a Bruko in real life, so I don't think I an offer any advice. I do hope you get to try one before you buy! Anyway, enjoy the search and follow up with a NUD post!

Re strings, in my experience, I've tried a few steps up or down with fluorocarbon strings and they seem to cope. Maybe the tension or the sound is no longer as expected. A small adjustment of technique is perhaps enough to enable you to play your compositions.
thanks for the info!! great stuff--i'm new here though, what's an NUD post? 😅

The pyramid strings that came with my Brüko when it was new about ten years ago were very thick nylon. I was glad to replace them with Worth BL, and later go for GHS' lightest weight nylon strings or Harley Benton clear nylon which are the same diameter as GHS especially when tuning ADF#B. I agree with other comments ref harsh or percussive sound (mine is maple wood by the way), but I like it and (on mine anyway) the intonation is very good indeed.
thank you for the advice, i think i'm gonna try the worths since i've heard so many good things about them

Top Bottom