Comparing Sopranos--Bruko vs Mainland

Mainland ukes are assembled somewhere across the pond but final assembly is done in the shop in Nashville Indiana by Mike and his extended family. It is very much a family business.

My wife and I have played Mainland ukes since 2009 and though we both own other instruments, the Mainlands are our main ukes.

Nashville Indiana is a great place to visit if you like ukes, fudge, pottery, weaving and other hand crafted stuff.

Mainland Ukes also puts on "Ukulele World Congress" the 1st weekend in June. Ask for time off now.

The correct answer is always both.

But seriously, I could have a Bruko No.6 as my only instrument, and it is the only ukulele where I'd be confident buying a brand new one. The quality control is the best in the business.

The action of the earlier ones is high by the standards of what some people consider is acceptable, but it's important to note that's a preference rather than a fault. If you get very, very good you will want that high action - it gives you more dynamic range. However if you're buying new, you don't need to worry because they now have two-piece bridges with a removable saddle.

It's possible to lower the action on an older Brueko, but it's not straightforward - if you shave material off the bridge incorrectly then it will get much quieter. I paid to have mine done (well, my old one. Phil Doleman plays it now!) I've had six, and I currently own one. I would not be averse to buying another!

Last edited:
Top Bottom