SOTU 633: Time is on my side (yes it is)

GUYS! I figured out Canva! I picked this stock image which reminded me of the 1979 Malcom McDowell/Mary Steenburgen film from which the title of this Cyndi Lauper classic was derived. Darn good movie, but I haven't seen it in mumblemumble years, so I'm not sure how well it holds up.
Enjoy this collaboration with @DelGriff ! Thanks again for doing all the hard stuff, Del!

This season's offering is an original song, "What's New", that mentions the word "times", and is essentially about how times change but human nature not so much.

I had a useable version in one take (woohoo!) but I was standing a ways away from the phone to be able to sing normal. So I tried a second take standing closer, which brought the ukulele sound forward but I had to sing with less volume since I was closer to the phone. I can't decide which to post, so I am posting both takes for your perusal & enjoyment (lyrics in the YT description)...

Have you heard this song from @Threebird? He gave us two takes, each one perfect, but he still wasn't satisfied with the balance. So, I spent a couple of hours yesterday, manually editing the waveform to balance his vocals and ukulele, being careful to maintain the playing and audio dynamics. If you haven't heard his song yet, go grab your headphones and give a listen. It's fantastic.

Here's the audio: What's New

GUYS! I figured out Canva! I picked this stock image which reminded me of the 1979 Malcom McDowell/Mary Steenburgen film from which the title of this Cyndi Lauper classic was derived. Darn good movie, but I haven't seen it in mumblemumble years, so I'm not sure how well it holds up.
Enjoy this collaboration with @DelGriff ! Thanks again for doing all the hard stuff, Del!

I loved it in Strictly Ballroom... so much rigidity and no new steps allowed... I liked the way they broke the rules, and I think that should be applied to playing the uke... who says you can't have new strums.

NO NEW STEPS

Last edited:
Have you heard this song from @Threebird? He gave us two takes, each one perfect, but he still wasn't satisfied with the balance. So, I spent a couple of hours yesterday, manually editing the waveform to balance his vocals and ukulele, being careful to maintain the playing and audio dynamics. If you haven't heard his song yet, go grab your headphones and give a listen. It's fantastic.

Here's the audio: What's New
Wow, what a lovely post to wake up to! Thank-you so much for taking the time to do that RP and I am glad you enjoyed the song! I haven't had a listen to the remix yet, but I will when I get home from work tonight.

I loved it in Strictly Ballroom... so much rigidity and no new steps allowed... I liked the way they broke the rules, and I think that should be applied to playing the uke... who says you can't have new strums.

NO NEW STEPS

Rob, that's one of the things I love about your songs. They never go quite how I expect them to, and I always come away with a new perspective.
When I was in school, one of my first art teachers said that we needed to learn the rules and techniques so we could break them more effectively. Following the rules and mastering technique is craft, transcending them is art.

Congratulations and gratitude goes out to our first-time host for this week 633.

I hope a song called "A Thousand Years" qualifies for the theme.

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting, Paul - glad you’re enjoying it!

My voice is still gripped by laryngitis, so here’s a short original instrumental. It started life as just a basic electric baritone track with a bit of echo wah effect. But I then added in some synth bass, piano, strings and pads. Don't try to understand the apparently random nature of the images in the vid - there’s just one person out there for whom they’ll make any sense. 😢

Thanks for hosting Paul! I hope you're having a fun week :). It's taken me a while to get around to something this week, but, nevertheless, here's a Squeeze song. It mentions some days of the week, and a specific time of day.

I would have liked to get Jools Holland to do the keyboard part, but it seems he was busy, so instead you'll just have to put up with my overdubbed glockenspiel.

Here's what happened at last night's first Thursday open mic at the golf club:

I was next to last and did

"Rock Around the Clock" - Bill Haley
"As Time Goes By"
"Old Time Rock and Roll" - Bob Seger
"Eight Days a Week" - The Beatles

Then David (third David of the night) assembled a stellar 7-piece band including Roland on saxophone, and did an amazing set that then moved into a jam session.

And then this happened to end the night:

SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES -John Jacob Loeb & Carmen Lombardo 1945

Maggie and I just caught the last 15 minutes of Annie Hall on Turner Classic Movies and there was a vocal of Diane Keaton singing Seems Like Old Times and I realised that it would fit this Season's theme, so I ran up and grabbed a ukulele and my phone.

Thanks for hosting, Paul - glad you’re enjoying it!

My voice is still gripped by laryngitis, so here’s a short original instrumental. It started life as just a basic electric baritone track with a bit of echo wah effect. But I then added in some synth bass, piano, strings and pads. Don't try to understand the apparently random nature of the images in the vid - there’s just one person out there for whom they’ll make any sense. 😢

IMG_20240405_103642.jpg

Rob, that's one of the things I love about your songs. They never go quite how I expect them to, and I always come away with a new perspective.
When I was in school, one of my first art teachers said that we needed to learn the rules and techniques so we could break them more effectively. Following the rules and mastering technique is craft, transcending them is art.
My wife is reading Thomas Mann at the moment and I mentioned your comment and she remarked that a knowledge of grammar and a good vocabulary as well as a sense of history is essential to create a good novel.

Just think of the skills needed to write a rudimentary song, chord shapes, unique melody, basic rhyme scheme, beats in the bar, poetic meter, vocabulary. If you are lacking in any one of those areas the creative process becomes more difficult.

If only it were that simple as Bukowski said it "Go all the way" and have perfect voice like Tom Bedlam to Interpret the poem.

very cool! It might be about time to pull out the ol' VHS and see if it still works. 😏 Laser disc maybe?! Nice job on the production. Is this doable on the free version of Canva?!

Top Bottom