What did you do today? Anything hobby-related.

I have [the barest beginnings of] an additional hobby: Mexican Train dominoes.

Many may be aghast when I reveal that, until this past weekend, I was unaware of any practical use for a set of dominoes other than "42" (sometimes called the "state game" of Texas, USA) or standing them on end in a row to fall against each other in interesting patterns, Rube Goldberg style.

I'd love to receive (by PM) a specific pattern or plan for cutting a Mexican Train "hub" from 1/8th-inch scrap plywood veneer.

It seems obvious that a hub pattern must begin with / work from within a circle large enough to extend a sufficient distance beyond the outside corners of 3 dominoes laid side-by-side, so that there is enough material beyond that for subsequent square-end cut-outs to accommodate 8 players' first moves, but I'm hoping not to re-invent the wheel (pun intended). A diameter of 5.0 inches/ 13cm seems sufficient (say, 50% larger than the rim of a typical coffee / tea cup), but that also seems larger than strictly necessary.

EDIT: Please disregard. Per the following wood-turning blog, a hub's outer diameter can be as much 6.25 inches/ 16 cm.
<https://www.turningforprofit.com/domino-train-station/>
Though MT hub in the blog is far fancier than what I had in mind, I'm a confirmed minimalist, LOL.

Last edited:
Dang---dealing with string breakage

Well, I suppose the tailpiece does not like wound strings. I think the winding is binding in the whole of the tailpiece and under friction and pressure the string is being cut through.

The temporary tail piece may have a rough or sharp edge.

I had this problem with banjo tail pieces. Fixed it using a Dremel rotary tool and pin shaped grinder bits on the edges of those tight holes.

If your edges are easy access you can fix them by rubbing with emery cloth. Emery cloth is similar to sandpaper except that it uses emery grit formulated to smooth metal surfaces.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Sometime in September 2022 on a whim, I bought an Alkot AKES21A/E soprano mostly because it was cheap ($51 shipped) and had an onboard tuner. It turned out to be OK. Good intonation and tone, but with a relatively short sustain and not very loud which is all OK as it was meant for late-night practice or sittin' behind the wheel while my wife is in the quilt shops. Good so far.

Problem is, the sticky gooped-on orange high-gloss is butt-ugly not to my liking. I would pick it up to tune and strum.. sometimes.

Today, I took 600 grit wet/dry with a wet washcloth and did the neck, back, and sides; everything except the fretboard, and soundboard/headstock - things I don't have to touch. It feels good better, now.

It's going with me on the next "fat quarter" run ;)

<edit> Oh, finally broke down and ordered StewMac .016, .020, .024, and .032" nut slotting files.

Last edited:
Today, I took 600 grit wet/dry with a wet washcloth and did the neck, back, and sides; everything except the soundboard, fretboard, and headstock - things I don't have to touch. It feels good better, now.

A nice protective finish to repel stains is beeswax or furniture finishing wax available in the paint department. Apply and buff with a cloth.

A nice protective finish to repel stains is beeswax or furniture finishing wax available in the paint department. Apply and buff with a cloth.
Thanks for that tip. If it survives until Fall, I will pull off the strings and hardware to completely sand the rest of it. There might be some beauty underneath all that coating. It may even gain (dreaming, here) some tone and sustain.

Thanks for that tip. If it survives until Fall, I will pull off the strings and hardware to completely sand the rest of it. There might be some beauty underneath all that coating. It may even gain (dreaming, here) some tone and sustain.
Casual music’s guidance brings up this question- has anyone used “pour-on” clear epoxy as a sealant on either the headstock face or the back of the body? I’m considering applying it to my headstock but instructions seem to indicate the likelihood of permanent bubbles which gives me pause.

Sent a TUS-55 home with my 7-year-old grandson. For 3 years now he has been literally dragging around a Luna Tattoo he talked me out of. As he was looking at my ukes yesterday he explained to me that it finally broke and had to be thrown out.

This time he's going home knowing how to play C and Am chords. Here's hoping.

Last edited:
Farted around with my baritone. Didn't play anything because my voice is gone and I have no instrumentals.

Stupid cold, go away.

Since I recently joined the family of iPad/tablet users for my music, I've been slowly transferring music from my desktop to my iPad and PiaScore. Air Drop makes it super easy. I'm reminded of all the great music I've collected over the years, and I'm working on updating/editing/etc. my favorites. Playing some songs I haven't thought about in awhile. Getting them all organized on Piascore for easy access.

Changed the strings on my new/old baritone from whatever it had on it to D'Addario EJ99B fluorocarbons. Took the opportunity to clean and oil the fret board, put graphite in the nut grooves and tighten some loose tuner screws.

Now going through the never ending re-tuning as the strings stretch. There's something about new strings that almost always make a ukulele sound and play better that can't be completely explained by the new string make or model.

Some kind of placebo effect I guess.

Last edited:
Tore apart a computer someone gave me, removed what I could use and upgraded my device with a spare ssd and some extra memory!

Changed the strings on my new/old baritone from whatever it had on it to D'Addario EJ99B fluorocarbons. Took the opportunity to clean and oil the fret board, out graphite in the nut grooves and tighten some loose tuner screws.

Now going through the never ending re-tuning as the strings stretch. There's something about new strings that almost always make a ukulele sound and play better that can't be completely explained by the new string make or model.

Some kind of placebo effect I guess.
For some strange reason I enjoy the whole new string tune, stretch and retune thing. Something satisfying about it.

Rudiments. Having played several different instruments, I know there comes a time when they are enjoyable. I’m not there yet on the bass.

Sang 'Penetration Rites' and 'Like A Knife To The Aorta' then regretted it because my throat is sore. I can still belt out a towering Bb5 though. That's almost Brunnhilde's note from Wagner's Ring :D

Top Bottom