What did you do today? Anything hobby-related.

The idea

Share what you did today in terms of new songs/progress/understanding/activities/crazy chords/etc. as they relate to our shared hobby. These are items that someone might want to share but doesn't want to create a whole new thread for. (I did find this thread about uke-specific activities such as re-stringing, new instruments, cleaning, shopping, etc. but nothing on general progress or activities.)

Feel free to stray off topic a bit, but hoping it mainly pertains to ukuleles/music in some way

I'll start

Today I signed up for James Hill's The Ukulele Way so I can get better background on combining melody and chords. I get the idea that the melody note is often the root or 3rd or 5th of the accompanying chord, and have an intermediate understanding of theory and progressions too (I-vi-IV-V7, etc). But looking to start to branch out and create songs rather than just play them. Seeing as I have very little creativity, I'm not hopeful, but anything helps (or so I'm telling myself).

As an aside, I'm learning the chords to Michelle by The Beatles. Wow, what a fun progression! I know all the various sections of the song, now just need to clean it up and string it together without forgetting what comes next.
Spent some time trying to figure out vocal timing and uke strumming pattern for Runaround Sue by Dion. Maybe it'll fit a SOTU week at some point and I'll have a go at it.

Put some watches up for sale to make room for some others that are coming in. My WAS (coining a new term) is worse than my UAS.

I’ve started to learn some slack key guitar. I bought a used classical guitar for this exercise, as it has a wider nut and string spacing than an acoustic guitar. The string spacing is still quite narrow compared to the 38 mil nut on my Flight Phantom. so that takes some getting used to.

Plus, there are so many strings — I’m thinking there are close to twenty. I keep plucking the wrong ones.

Last edited:
LOL, GAS fits any hobby that lends itself to a repeating acquisition phase. Photography, R/C airplanes, oil painting, pyrography, woodwork in general have all at one time or another been personal pursuits. Some have been lifelong passions, others more fleeting.

Learning to sing a German old cabaret song on the piano called "Ich habe noch einen Koffer in Berlin" while sipping rosé. - I still have a suitcase in Berlin.

Found a guy named "ARCHMAN" on YTube. He has a crazy fun almost Rag Time sounding Hello Dolly piece. Trying to figure the Chords Progressions. Anyone have a hook on a fun version of this song?? I can pull apart the Chords if I slow it down but my 60 year old eyes start drying up. LOL

Jammed with a sub-group of a larger ukulele group today at a nearby park.

One lady asked if I could play shaker for their tango group. May give it a shot - maybe shaker, bass or guitar.

Here's my story, it's sad but true.
It's about a girl that I once knew...

Just bought a 2015 Durango. I can actually sit in the driver's seat (obviously, when I am parked) and play a concert scale without hitting the window or center console. Whoo-hoo!

Up until now (for the last 25 years, about 14 of which with a uke), I have been limited to soprano while my wife (Sue) visits quilt shops, etc. This is a breakthrough. A Caramel CC102A (Jan, 2022 - all laminate) now permanently lives in the way-back tub.

Last edited:
This has been a wild week for new ukulele experiences and meeting new ukulele folks:
  1. My first ukulele festival: LA Ukuelele Festival in Torrance
  2. My first time attending a meeting with a local ukulele group: The South Bay Strummers
  3. My first zoom open mic event: Seasonista International Open Mic on Zoom
Thanks to @mitchchang for the festival and suggesting I seek out the local group, and thanks to @Ila for inviting me to the Zoom.

This has been a wild week for new ukulele experiences and meeting new ukulele folks:
  1. My first ukulele festival: LA Ukuelele Festival in Torrance
  2. My first time attending a meeting with a local ukulele group: The South Bay Strummers
  3. My first zoom open mic event: Seasonista International Open Mic on Zoom
Thanks to @mitchchang for the festival and suggesting I seek out the local group, and thanks to @Ila for inviting me to the Zoom.
Excellent!!!

Filmed two SOTU entries this morning, listened to a SOTU playlist, practised sightreading Devienne flute music, decided I want to try and learn an easy guitar piece for SOTU 607, made tomato sauce from our homegrown tomatoes. I want to use part of the sauce to build a lasagna for dinner tomorrow.

Working on a new bridge slotting jig. My old one, which was made from Tulip Poplar, has developed a slight cup and is unusable. New one is all Birch ply. While I enjoy making small parts with my desktop CNC, I can make a bridge a lot faster using my table saw and router with a bridge slotting jig.

Top Bottom