sotu 578 - Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! And Double your Fun.

Sorry to interrupt, John.
I'm here to share that the wrap for Jingles week is up!
There is a winner.

I've done options 1 and 3, so time for an option 2... I'd forgotten that Goodbye Yellow Brick Road was a double LP, probably because I have it on CD and it fits on one of those. Anyway, here's a song I sometimes try to do, then fail to hit the high notes. I failed here too, but I'm going to inflict it on you anyway.

Hello again, John! I had assumed that this song would be on The Move's 1969 "Live at the Fillmore" album, and, having already recorded it, I was rather panicked to see that it did not actually appear on there. However, after extensive research, I found that The New Seekers had recorded it on their 1972 album, "Live at the Albert Hall" ... phew! Anyway, herewith ...

ZOMBIE JAMBOREE- Lord Invader
This is a song written in 1955 by the Trinidadian Calipsonian, Lord Invader. I have been to a Boy Scout Jamboree and have played at a few country music jamborees, but I've yet to attend a Zombie Jamboree.
I first heard this song on a Harry Belafonte LP, but the recording that qualifies it for this Season is the Kingston Trio's 1958 LP, Live At The Hungry i.

My Saturday jam friend from Ireland, Voran, will appreciate that one of Lord Invader's group names was Lord Invader & The Penetrators.

Greatest friend by Incredible Sting Band from double album Wee Tam and the Big Huge.

"And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations."

"Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again, but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give will never thirst; the water that I shall give will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

The greatest friend I have in life
Has brought me here to dwell
Awhile among your green green hills
All by the watery well
The water from that wondrous well
Has made my eyes to see
And loosed my tongue to sing with joy
That such a griend can be
The greatest friend I have in life
Was hidden long from me
Above the mountains cold and wide
Beneath the sacred tree
That sacred tree whose bark I touched
Whose leaves did tell to me
The ancient tales that made me sure
My friend would come to me
My greatest friend a song has given
To sing where I may go
To sing among the green green hills
And where the waters flow
The waters from that wondrous well
That made my eyes to see
And made my mind to ever show
My greatest friend to me.

Last edited:
My entry this week is an evocation of when I discovered "Blonde on Blonde" for the first time at 13 and it blew my mind.
In the song, I interweave titles and references to that album with a narrative about my reactions to it and its relevance for my life back then. The reference to "Visions of the End Times" comes from Dylan Biographer, Anthony Scaduto's interpretation of "Visions of Johanna" in which he claims Johanna is Hebrew for Armageddon.

Along the way, you see a brief family portrait from around that era. Taken outside our home in Lagos, Nigeria. I'm the taller of the two brothers.
Hope you like:

Reactions: joo
Moving Day - Charlie Poole

I have two multiple CD albums with this song on them. One is Charlie Poole -You Ain't Talkin' To Me.
Charlie Poole You Ain't Talkin'To Me.jpg

The other is Loudon Wainwright III's Grammy winning High, Wide & Handsome.
High, Wide & Handsome.jpg

In his Grammy acceptance speech, he thanked his ex-wife, the late Kate McGarrigle for teaching him clawhammer banjo.
Both come in a cigar box type container with comprehensive liner notes.

Thanks everyone for some fine lives and doubles. I haven’t been around much as had some family things to attend to. So I haven’t been prodding you much. But hopefully we can get a strong finish with some weekend wonders.

Hi John, thanks for taking a turn as host this week! When I started searching for live albums, I realized very quickly it was an infinitely deep rabbit hole :) So I decided to pick a few bands and start researching their live albums until I found a song I felt encouraged to record. Initially I thought Kimi might collaborate, but she's been bothered by allergies, and so out of the blue I decided to reach out to Jon thinking my simple take on uke and vocals could benefit greatly from him adding his inimitable and magical touch. Hopefully we can get back to doing this kind of thing with more regularity. Cheers mate ~

Hi John, thanks for taking a turn as host this week! When I started searching for live albums, I realized very quickly it was an infinitely deep rabbit hole :) So I decided to pick a few bands and start researching their live albums until I found a song I felt encouraged to record. Initially I thought Kimi might collaborate, but she's been bothered by allergies, and so out of the blue I decided to reach out to Jon thinking my simple take on uke and vocals could benefit greatly from him adding his inimitable and magical touch. Hopefully we can get back to doing this kind of thing with more regularity. Cheers mate ~

Lovely work lads…comments are turned off on YouTube.

Lovely work lads…comments are turned off on YouTube.
You Tube have done that, mate. We can't alter it, unfortunately.
Guessing it's b/c there are kiddos in the film.
I'll know better next time.
That said, so lovely to play a song w/ my brother again.
Thanks for this week, John xo

You Tube have done that, mate. We can't alter it, unfortunately.
Guessing it's b/c there are kiddos in the film.
I'll know better next time.
That said, so lovely to play a song w/ my brother again.
Thanks for this week, John xo
in that case let me say it was great to hear you two working together again. Lovely vocals from Kev and beaut harmonies and tasteful strings from your good self.

I had a pleasant surprise today. Bruce Findlay commented on my Incredible String Band cover.......
I think it was the man himself....argh.
Anyway. Life goes on. haha.

There is another Joni Mitchell song that I would love to try one day...but maybe not this time.
I did find a Harry Chapin song which Arlo Guthrie and Pete Seeger did for Precious Friend, a live album released in 1981.
An impromptu take. Sing with me.

I am bombarding you with the last of my 5 songs, John!
An improvised one.
Well I wrote down some words and went with it. Saw Berni playing his Yamaha guitalele and I wanted to play mine too. Especially when you also play a few, and so well too. It is my way of showing my respect to you.
This is for fun and to practice some clawhammer on my guitalele. I tuned it down...quite a bit.

the words go roughly like this:
What's the point of living? When we're all gonna die anyway?
What's the point of trying? When we're gonna fail anyway?
Who cares about meaning? When meaning is a hand-me-down, like wearing your older brother's pyjamas?
The taxi speeding in the night
Racing with the 30 Panadols she had swallowed
Her eyelids started to close
Stay with me darling, stay with me, he said
I'll bring you to the east coast when you wake up
She didn't.
I know a man who despite trying his best to kill himself was still alive
So he took all the drugs he could find in the medicine cabinet and flushed them down with a double shot expresso.

He didn't die.

What's the point of living? When we're all gonna die anyway? What's the point of trying? When we're gonna fail anyway? Who cares about meaning? When meaning is a hand-me-down, like wearing your older brother's pyjamas?

Or is it?
(more words which I sang out as I played)

Reactions: TBB
I want you from Bob Dylan Blonde on Blonde double album.

One of the characters in the song has been linked to Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones. Jones played flute, suggesting he may have been the "dancing child with his Chinese suit," whose flute Dylan takes and then treats not-too-cutely. The Jones association is bolstered by the fact that fact that a couple lines later Dylan sings "because time was on his side," referring to "Time Is On My Side," the first Stones song to break the Top 10 in the United States.
IMG_20230318_111345.jpg

Last edited:
I SO badly wanted to bring a bit of Pink Floyd on soprano ukulele to this week’s theme, but everything seems to have conspired against me; from unexpected hospital visits to the fact that it turns out I ain’t no Gilmour (who knew?!) it was pretty much doomed from the start. The icing on the cake is a throat infection which has rendered me mute.

So this feels like a bit of a cop out but I was running out of time. Instrumental version of Vincent (Starry, Starry Night), by Don Mclean, which I believe was on at least one live album. We used to listen to American Pie in the car when we were kids so I have a bit of a fondness for old Don.

Sorry about the sound effects in the background, the dog was eviscerating a stuffed fox (he makes a little guest appearance at the end, if anyone’s still around)

Thank you for hosting, John!

I SO badly wanted to bring a bit of Pink Floyd on soprano ukulele to this week’s theme, but everything seems to have conspired against me; from unexpected hospital visits to the fact that it turns out I ain’t no Gilmour (who knew?!) it was pretty much doomed from the start. The icing on the cake is a throat infection which has rendered me mute.

So this feels like a bit of a cop out but I was running out of time. Instrumental version of Vincent (Starry, Starry Night), by Don Mclean, which I believe was on at least one live album. We used to listen to American Pie in the car when we were kids so I have a bit of a fondness for old Don.

Sorry about the sound effects in the background, the dog was eviscerating a stuffed fox (he makes a little guest appearance at the end, if anyone’s still around)

Thank you for hosting, John!

What a beautiful and delicate rendition, @TBB . :) Your dog is adorable.

Sounds awesome, guys. Lead vocals are so smooth and then bring in those BG vocs…c’mon. 😊 Harmonies you’re singing out are right on the money, Jon! Love it when you break off like that. Everything sounds great together. Music, too, of course. Beautiful collab. ❤️

Top Bottom