sotu 578 - Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! And Double your Fun.

Flatbaroque

Reaction score
This week we are going to celebrate songs that come from two major sources. The Live Album and The Double Album.
Because of the way music is often delivered today in digital streaming formats “The Album” has somewhat diminished in it’s importance.
So take me back to my vinyl hey day when the following were more of a thing.

OPTION 1 : I want songs from officially released “Live” in concert albums. In your forum post please nominate the “Live” album your song is from. No bootleg albums just commercially released albums.
Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out is of course a Rolling Stone’s live album from 1970. My first “live” album I ever bought.
Here’s a couple of links to some live albums.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/50-greatest-live-albums-of-all-time-173246/

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/live-albums-100/
All the better if you can bring a song from a live album that’s more obscure than those listed above.
Both Live Vinyl LP’s and Live CD’s are acceptable.

OPTION 2: Also gaining prominence from the mid ‘60’s and into the ‘70’s was The Double Album. When two sides of vinyl just wasn’t enough to display the full extent of musical virtuosity. I was surprised when I googled. There are many. Bring me songs off Double albums. Nominate the album in your forum post. A couple of links to help.
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_albums-double.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_double_albums
Note the Wikipedia link is exhaustive but many listed are just marketing exercises where a couple of albums are stuck together. So from that list any album that has REISSUE, COMPILATION, ANTHOLOGY in it’s description is NOT eligible. I want Double albums in the spirit of Dylan’s Blonde on Blonde or The Beatles White Album. More the artistic expression than the marketing 2 for 1’s.
Triple albums are ok too. Thinking George Harrison there.
Both Vinyl LP’s and CD’s are acceptable.

OPTION 3 : Originals. Subject can be anything but lyrics must contain the words “ Alive” and “ Double” in the same or consecutive lines. somewhere in the song.
Eg
“ Frankenstein is alive
Looks like double trouble”.
All usual rules apply – see previous seasons if unsure. 5 song limit for now. Starts 12 am Hawaii time March 12. If you want to do a song and are unsure about it qualifying…just do it , I trust your artistic integrity. Any short recollections of favourite / worst / unusual concerts you have attended are welcome in your posts.
Keep on Jingle Jangling for Joo in the meantime.

Playlist to follow - see below

Cheers John

Last edited:
This is one of the very first songs I learned on the ukulele. From the aforementioned Beatles' White Album.

It sounds like a lovely sweet charming little love song ... provided you don't listen too closely to the lyrics. When you do, you realize he is singing to a fantasy lover he's never met yet. He's just conjured up this ideal love object in his imagination, and then is professing his undying love to them as if they were real. An early incel, perhaps? Which I guess makes it a perfect fit for the White Album.

I Will just leave this here.

(If you want to know what I am pointing at, you will have to watch all the way through. 😁)

PS, I did this song years ago for Opposites Season, where you had to do two separate songs, with an opposite word in each title (like "ON Top of Spaghetti" and "Get OFF My Cloud"). I decided to do a double opposite, so I did "I Will" and a great little gem of a song I discovered by searching for a song called "You Won't" - "You Won't Ever Be Lonely". Then FiL ran straight past my clever double with a quadruple opposite: "There Goes My Baby" and "Here Comes Your Man".

I try to never get my Ya Ya’s out in mixed company unless artistically called for. This might be one such occasion.
haha..I thought about you today. I was looking for songs and Donovan has a double album called I think "From a Flower to a Garden" it has a song about "Mad John from Birmingham"......o_O

The Talking Heads' song "Artists Only", played on concert ukulele with singing, overdub of electric bass. This is on the DOUBLE LIVE Lp "The Name of this Band is Talking Heads", but it's also on the DOUBLE LIVE bootleg LP, "Electricity", which I bought in 1979 and is still in my record collection.

Thanks for hosting, John!

Thank you Early Shift for getting the Thunder Rolling. Something already evident from the Dynamic Duopoly of Brians is that the The Live Album and The Double Album are often one in the same.

The Talking Heads' song "Artists Only", played on concert ukulele with singing, overdub of electric bass. This is on the DOUBLE LIVE Lp "The Name of this Band is Talking Heads", but it's also on the DOUBLE LIVE bootleg LP, "Electricity", which I bought in 1979 and is still in my record collection.

Thanks for hosting, John!

Brian, stickler for the rules that you are, I can tell you have covered this song from the official live album and completely ignored the bootleg!

The Live Album and The Double Album are often one in the same.
indeed! my first thought for the week, was to go get a song to cover from "space ritual", the hawkwind double live album, recorded in 1972, and released in 1973. however, with my mind in hawkwind land, a couple of lines popped into my mind later, that had "alive" and "double" in them, and that might be the seed of a homemade wannabe space rock song, so that is the rabbit hole i disappeared down today...

homemade song for the week, "angels"

they came from the sky, they came from space.
angels, angels with a monster's face.
dangerous and thrilling, alien and chilling,
descending a great glowing wire,
all alive, alive with fire,
double the height of the highest mountain,
flames falling like a fountain,
rise up from your sleep, get up on your feet,
and fight to the last man,
fight, fight if you can.
we called and called, and so they came.
what were we thinking? were we all insane?
the eagle's landed, there's nowhere left to hide,
on the day, on this day, that mankind, mankind died.

Reactions: TBB
Hi John, thanks for hosting.
Here is a slightly hurried one take of Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now from her 1974 Miles of Aisles live album.
I already got the chords written out from before so when I saw it in the list I just sat down and played it.

It is a really bright and sunny day here. You can see how much light there is in the room.

(argh! I just watched back and somehow the audio and video are not in sync. I will fix it now...if I can...)
(EDIT: IT IS OK NOW)

Last edited:
Hi John, thanks for hosting.
Here is a slightly hurried one take of Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now from her 1974 Miles of Aisles live album.
I already got the chords written out from before so when I saw it in the list I just sat down and played it.

It is a really bright and sunny day here. You can see how much light there is in the room.

(argh! I just watched back and somehow the audio and video are not in sync. I will fix it now...if I can...)

It sounded great though. I was commenting and it suddenly disappeared…haha..I will look forward to further syncopation:)

Reactions: joo
Greetings, John ... and thanks for hosting! I have been somewhat absent of late, owing to the fact that French bureaucracy seems to have finally caught up with me and I have had to do a whole lot of "grown up" stuff. Having spent most of yesterday filling in an application to change my UK Driving Licence for a French Permis de Conduire - which seemed to require copies of every official document known to man - I decided I deserved a break. This song featured on The Beatles' live album of 1962, "Live! From the Star Club, Hamburg," with Paul on the vocals.

Another one from a live double. Growing up as a teenage David Bowie fan, "David Live" was pretty well ever-present on my turntable. Recorded on the Diamond Dogs tour in July '74, the critics mostly hated it - the sound was thin, Bowie's voice was hoarse, and even the man himself couldn't listen to it. But I loved it, and still do. Songs from his latest albums were given sparser arrangements, with jazzy piano and sax & oboe wailing around. Years later Tony Visconti managed to remix & improve the sound for CD, and that's what I still listen to, often. Here's side 3 track 4.

Here's a quick (well, quick-ish) on taker, from the 1978 double live album "Bob Dylan At Budokan". Pretty much nothing on that sounds anything like the original. So, in tribute, neither does this.

From wikipedia: "Critic Jimmy Guterman named it one of the worst albums ever released in the history of rock." Well I like it. So there. I think it's quite fun that all the songs are completely different. I still prefer the originals though, in general.

Top Bottom