Closed How do I find signatures?

Jim in Oregon

Reaction score
I've seen people reference their signatures, as in "You'll see my ukes in my signature," etc. I can't seem to find these sigs by clicking on the poster's info.

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Jim

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Stickied at the top of the Beginner's Forum:
Yes I did see that but it's not the kind of intro I was aiming for. I meant one that's "here's how you do all this stuff on this forum" not a general "don't be a jerk" and "search first" admonishment to new users. Not that it isn't an important message to get across, but it wasn't the message I was looking for. I've not taken the time yet to search for what I was hoping for, but I will. If I find it I will link here.

Yes I did see that but it's not the kind of intro I was aiming for. I meant one that's "here's how you do all this stuff on this forum" not a general "don't be a jerk" and "search first" admonishment to new users. Not that it isn't an important message to get across, but it wasn't the message I was looking for. I've not taken the time yet to search for what I was hoping for, but I will. If I find it I will link here.
I don't think the post you're looking for exists. A tour of interesting features and locations would be useful.
The stickies are currently wildly out of date and need a thorough overhaul to bring them into 2023

the "Read me first" post can be included in the welcome to the forum mail.

The welcome email should also include first steps like filing out your profile, adding a photo (ahem 🤣), etc, but yeah, also stuff like what you're talking about.

Turning them on for existing users who have them turned off is user hostile.

But hardly anybody with it off has turned it off! It was off already by default, wasn't it? I knew that I wanted sigs on so I turned them in. @Jim in Oregon's point is that it's, maybe not hostile but certainly unfriendly to hide them by default, and I think he's right.

You're right too, of course, but presumably the people who actively never want to see a sig have learned where that button is.

Still thinking about it, and will do a lot more talking before any action, so keep those insights coming!

I meant one that's "here's how you do all this stuff on this forum" not a general "don't be a jerk" and "search first" admonishment to new users. Not that it isn't an important message to get across, but it wasn't the message I was looking for.

I feel like some of the stickies and rules posts were written by people who were too burned out or pissed off to be writing them. Intro posts and stickies should be energizing, showing people how and where to channel their enthusiasm.

I say this with sympathy, having burned myself out many times. That's why I recognize the signs. We can do better, and we will. In an ukulele forum, of all places, that stuff should be about all the fun you can have here.

imo, anyway. 😁 That's certainly my mantra, and my core development ethos. Encourage enthusiasm. Leave it at that whenever possible, which is almost always.

But hardly anybody with it off has turned it off! It was off already by default, wasn't it? I knew that I wanted sigs on so I turned them in. @Jim in Oregon's point is that it's, maybe not hostile but certainly unfriendly to hide them by default, and I think he's right.
This must have switched with one of the backend changes (in which case: that was user hostile! ;) ). I'm 90% sure signatures were on by default when I joined and I explicitly turned them off. It's possible that I turned them on myself and then turned them off later.

I'm also pretty sure that I used to have an avatar picture, which must have gone wandering off on its own.

I still see signatures and I’ve definitely never turned them on, I didn’t even know that was a thing. I don’t think I particularly notice them tbh, apart from when someone whose signature takes up half a page is contributing a lot to a thread.

I still see signatures and I’ve definitely never turned them on, I didn’t even know that was a thing. I don’t think I particularly notice them tbh, apart from when someone whose signature takes up half a page is contributing a lot to a thread.
Hah yeah, exactly!

Reactions: TBB
This must have switched with one of the backend changes (in which case: that was user hostile! ;) ). I'm 90% sure signatures were on by default when I joined and I explicitly turned them off. It's possible that I turned them on myself and then turned them off later.

I'm also pretty sure that I used to have an avatar picture, which must have gone wandering off on its own.

I think that there were a number of these things that were reset or lost in the migration. I lived through this exact thing at my previous gig, and we never found a particular pattern of whys or wherefores that we could adapt to. It was a matter of putting things back one at a time.

Let me know if you'd like me to update your avatar, @Arcy, or anyone else. Xen also supports Gravatar, but it appears to me that if I were to turn it on, it would blow out any previously uploaded avatars. If so, that's a no. The time to do that would have been during the migration (which is indeed when I did it in that previous gig), which made it kind of fun.

There's also a setting that if you use Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to log in, it carries the avatars you use there, but again, blows out anything you'd previously uploaded here, so not a good time to introduce it.

That's kind of a snapshot where I am today. Seeing which built-in or easily coded features we can quickly implement, but without breaking anything we want to leave alone. If this was easy, every dev would do it. 😁

Last edited:
I'm now seeing signatures for some users. Did something change on the server side or are they just pasting their "sigs" into their posts to override other people's preferences?

I'm now seeing signatures for some users. Did something change on the server side or are they just pasting their "sigs" into their posts to override other people's preferences?

Nothing has changed that I'm aware of, but I agree that I'm seeing more sigs. I've always opted to have this on, though, so maybe it's talking about it has inspired people to turn them on?

I confess that I'm now thinking about adding one too. 😁

Last edited:
Top Bottom