Harping Again

I played my Hering Dm Harmonic Minor, and figgered it out somewhat. The blow half is major and the draw half is Harmonic Minor. So I can play major with a few bends in one area and minor in another area. It sounds pretty confusing but it ain’t. Any way, I know how to play it now, but I don’t know any tunes to play. I can make up some good sounding ones though.

Nickie, did you ever get your own harp working. I remember it being stuck or something.

I’m sorry, but I’ve had a busy day today and didn’t listen to your Oh, Holy Night post yet. I will though.

Last edited:
I made a joke during rehearsal today that Trish, our harmonica player, should do at least one Christmas song on her mouth harp. She said she didn't think it would lend itself to that very well. I just sent her this.....Oh Holy Night
Yeah, that was pretty nice. He’s pretty good. Thanks for posting it. I enjoyed it.

Harmonicas are just like any other musical instrument. They’re just a little smaller. One can play whatever she wants to play with one.

I made a joke during rehearsal today that Trish, our harmonica player, should do at least one Christmas song on her mouth harp. She said she didn't think it would lend itself to that very well. I just sent her this.....Oh Holy Night
That was neat. Try Sweet little Jesus Boy, it should well to the harp. I think any of yhe zfolk like Christmas songs would work well. I think I will try O Holy Night and do the arpeggios on the bari uke. Video in 2025

I played my Hering Dm Harmonic Minor, and figgered it out somewhat. The blow half is major and the draw half is Harmonic Minor. So I can play major with a few bends in one area and minor in another area. It sounds pretty confusing but it ain’t. Any way, I know how to play it now, but I don’t know any tunes to play. I can make up some good sounding ones though.

Nickie, did you ever get your own harp working. I remember it being stuck or something.

I’m sorry, but I’ve had a busy day today and didn’t listen to your Oh, Holy Night post yet. I will though.
My nice C harp has a bent reed, I think. I have a cheaper one that's okay though. Thanks for asking.

Slide a flat razor blade carefully under the reed and see if you can flatten the reed out with a little pressure. If it’s bent side ways, push it carefully with a small, flat screwdriver ‘til it’s over the slot. What kind is it?

A couple of friends whose harp playing I really admire.
The late Willie P. Benett was a friend and mentor to both of my sons. His mom gave me a coupleof his harps when he passed 13 years ago. He is my favourite rack player.

A neighbour who sits in with our jug band sometimes and is a master harpplayer; here's Carlos del Junco jamming with some of us at the Port Hope Farmers'Market. I'm not sure if this will work, but. . . It didn't work, so I just recorded it off of Facebook with my phone.

Last edited:
Wow! I really liked the Star Dust one. He could sure play. I liked his rendition too. Thanks for the treat.

I’ve always liked Star Dust. I bought the sheet music to it when I first started playing trumpet 75 years ago. Of course, I couldn’t play it until many years later, but I kept that same music for a long, long time, waiting to grow into it. I have a neck rack, but I never have used it much. I’ve mostly used my hands.

The other one was good but too short. You know I enjoy Carlos. You guys seem to have a lotta fun.

Wow! I really liked the Star Dust one. He could sure play. I liked his rendition too. Thanks for the treat.

I’ve always liked Star Dust. I bought the sheet music to it when I first started playing trumpet 75 years ago. Of course, I couldn’t play it until many years later, but I kept that same music for a long, long time, waiting to grow into it. I have a neck rack, but I never have used it much. I’ve mostly used my hands.

The other one was good but too short. You know I enjoy Carlos. You guys seem to have a lotta fun.
My friend David recorded the one at the Market before COVID and posted it on Facebook, but since it was private, the only way I could seem to transfer it was by recording my laptop screen with my phone.

Slide a flat razor blade carefully under the reed and see if you can flatten the reed out with a little pressure. If it’s bent side ways, push it carefully with a small, flat screwdriver ‘til it’s over the slot. What kind is it?
Mine is a Hohner. I think it's the marching band model, I'm not sure, it's out in the car right now....

I haven’t been harpin’ much lately. We’ve been too busy with other stuff. One thing about harps is that one can always just pick one up, play a coupla tunes, and it’ll still sound fine. I haven’t even played much Christmas music yet.

A couple of friends whose harp playing I really admire.
The late Willie P. Benett was a friend and mentor to both of my sons. His mom gave me a coupleof his harps when he passed 13 years ago. He is my favourite rack player.

A neighbour who sits in with our jug band sometimes and is a master harpplayer; here's Carlos del Junco jamming with some of us at the Port Hope Farmers'Market. I'm not sure if this will work, but. . . It didn't work, so I just recorded it off of Facebook with my phone.

Wow, really liked them. Stardust was tremendous.

Played my C Country Tuned (Major 7th Tuning) today, but I must admit that I was somewhat rusty. I like to play Country music, so I tuned four or five of my harps with the raised 5th (F# on a C harp). So now it plays in G 2nd position. I’m kinda in a relearning process with it right now. I’ll pick it back up though . . .

I tried some straight 2nd position Blues Scale too, but had even more trouble with that! I’ve some remembering to do — not one of my strong points. I wrote before that I was surprised and pleased that I remembered everything — well mebbe not.

I played about 30 Christmas tunes on various harmonicas last night with our band at our annual Christmas concert...1540.jpeg

Wow! That’s great. So how did the concert go? Did you (and your audience) have a good time?
It went very well thank you. The audience seemed to appreciate it, lots of applause and kudos at the end. The video is on YouTube as "Third Sunday Band Christmas concert" if anyone cares to listen to it. (Probably too large a file to attach here...)

Well, I’ve got my Country tuned harps figgered out again, but I gotta get usta playing them correctly — practice. Next to get on my Cross Harp Blues scales. I wanna get back to the minors again too. I really like that sound.

Played a little Bm improvisation tonight. That just means I played some minor sounding, made up stuff that sounded like Russian or Hungarian dances or maybe even some Klezmer tunes. Anyway, I had a good time.

Top Bottom