bracing . . . again

tonyturley

Reaction score
For my newest build, I'm planning to try my interpretation of Pepe Romero, Jr's reverse fan bracing. But I came across this 9 year old post on a different twist for uke bracing. His lattice seems to have wide, low profile elements that lock together with lap joints, and are shaped only on the ends where they are scalloped, as near as I can tell. I don't know if this guy still builds ukes or still uses this bracing system. but I was just curious what other builders thought: https://rodriguezukuleles.wordpress...acing-evolution-asymmetrical-lattice-bracing/

I've been using lattice bracing for my last 5 tenors. I'm happy with the results, good volume and sustain and even across the strings. I make the lattice at right angles, using my dado blade to gang cut the braces with my table saw and miter gauge. If you are careful with your measuring and cutting they slot together very easily. I glue them together on the bench then glue the whole assembly to the top, easy peasy. I do a little shaping of the structure , scalloping and rounding over.

IMG_2325.jpg

I do reduce the thickness of the top, that spruce top was about 70 thousand. The braces are about 7/32" square. I think they could be thinner but for now that is the width of my narrowest dado blade!

I've been using lattice bracing for my last 5 tenors. I'm happy with the results, good volume and sustain and even across the strings. I make the lattice at right angles, using my dado blade to gang cut the braces with my table saw and miter gauge. If you are careful with your measuring and cutting they slot together very easily. I glue them together on the bench then glue the whole assembly to the top, easy peasy. I do a little shaping of the structure , scalloping and rounding over.

View attachment 163151
Is there a bridge plate?

Top Bottom