Exploring 100 year old (your) ukes

I bought this uke from Elderly a few years back. They said it was from the 1920s. I replaced the wood friction pegs w/some cheap new friction pegs to see it it would be easier to keep in tune. Not having great luck, but I'm not sure I want to invest in something like Pegheds. I do love the looks and sound of these ordinary old things; the history and the authenticity.

Here is one of my fav vintage ukuleles. It looks and sounds amazing.
WOW! That is amazing!

Thanks. Yes, that does makes sense, that’s exactly what I like about them. Even though they are made (or at least partially made) by Aquila they are surprisingly different from Nylguts. Warmer and without the boomimess that Super Nylguts impart on some ukes. They sorta bridge the gap between a Super Nylgut and a nylon. They are warm and chunky sounding like nylon but more open and resonant. I still keep fluorocarbon on my tenor but all three of my sopranos have Nyltechs on them now.
Yes, I love the Nyltech for exactly the same reasons. As hendulele mentioned, it really brings out the vintage sound.

I bought this uke from Elderly a few years back. They said it was from the 1920s. I replaced the wood friction pegs w/some cheap new friction pegs to see it it would be easier to keep in tune. Not having great luck, but I'm not sure I want to invest in something like Pegheds. I do love the looks and sound of these ordinary old things; the history and the authenticity.
Gorgeous Junie Moon and in wonderful condition. Thanks for sharing.

100 year old ukes are cool!!!! Hands down!!!

My Martin 0 from 1927-32. It is a really sweet instrument with a nice full sound. It looks as if this instrument has been well loved over the years and for good reason. It is a joy to play..

IMG_1172.jpegIMG_1173.jpeg

Lovely old headstock! Have you ever strung it up and played it? How does it sound?
No not yet and I am a bit hesitant as I have a lot of ukuleles to play and I hate tuning with violin tuners :eek:

I've just put strings on a Cavaquino with violin tuners 😨

My photos are two large but here is my obligatory post. 1920's 5k , kamaka pineapple painted and Gibson 3 soprano 1920s...

Hi, here are my 2 oldest ukes, almost 100 years old each :
a 1923-1927 Martin 2K
a 1927-1929 Gibson style 1

both play great, although the Martin is more phenomenal :)

Attachments

• 630E242D-50F2-4E06-AD8A-17C38FB6943A.jpeg
    630E242D-50F2-4E06-AD8A-17C38FB6943A.jpeg
    770 KB · Views: 46
a 1923-1927 Martin 2K

omg, that Martin!!!

Reactions: CPG
a 1923-1927 Martin 2K

Rumor has it you have a pretty special newer Martin 2 ;)

a 1923-1927 Martin 2K

Those are both so beautiful! Hard to believe they’re nearly 100.

I forgot to mention my Gibson UB3 banjo ukulele from the 1920’s

Attachments

• 983B2F52-4EE0-4561-B6C2-EBE0C9BF13B2.jpeg
    983B2F52-4EE0-4561-B6C2-EBE0C9BF13B2.jpeg
    574.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 95FF19D4-8787-4CAC-965D-9E1985A0BB07.jpeg
    95FF19D4-8787-4CAC-965D-9E1985A0BB07.jpeg
    598.1 KB · Views: 13
Here's my very early Gibby tenor ('27/'28). I think this was Gibson's first attempt at a ukulele- a decade after Martin benefitted from the craze. Note the over-kill big bridge - later they had a smaller one.
Hole for a 5th bridge pin that is missing. Pins themselves are hand carved and incredibly small.
Sound is.... a bit woody and "bluesy", like the sound of a Gibson L-00 compared to a Martin guitar.

Gibby tenor .jpgGibby side 2.jpgGibby back 2.jpg

As usual I am late to the party, as far as this topic…I have been collecting mainland ukuleles for a few decades now and as I mostly play baritone and none of those were around 100 years ago so I can’t post those. Old bari’s should be a separate topic. Maybe they should be 50 years old as they have only been around about half as long. I will take pictures of several pre 1922 instruments as I own both Soprano and Concert ukuleles that are 100 or more. I just never get around to photography. I suppose humidification is more important than photographs.
As a native Philadelphian I am interested in mostly Martin and Weymann instruments but I have a few others and some seldom seen ukes. My interest has always been Historical so I restore when I find time and sometimes have to send the difficult work out to professionals to do tasks I am not competent at. So there are always what I will call projects that are not yet ready to play. I like bringing orphaned instruments back to playable instruments, it is a hobby. I have gotten much help here from those more adept at tackling issues and I am grateful for this site as everyone seems to pitch in and help. I have a few old Hawaiian instruments as well but they are not my focus.
I do play Soprano but being a guitar player first I mostly play baritone I suppose this has held me back from purchasing many Soprano Ukuleles that should have been given a second chance I just can not buy and fix everything. I placed a few dozen Ukuleles this year and I don’t offer them here as I don’t want to come off as a dealer because I am a collector and player. I rarely make much on any instrument as it is strictly a hobby.
i have learned a great deal about Vintage Ukuleles especially ones that were built in the US outside of Hawaii. The Hawaiian built Ukuleles are a study themselves. I grew up near the Martin factory so I am very familiar with Martin Ukuleles and my go to ukulele is a Martin Baritone.
There are also a few websites out there with great examples of early Ukuleles and some good information on makers I particularly like “Lardy’s Ukulele database“ which has been a great place to get information on various makers. You may be surprised at how many Ukulele makers are out there. I will post some photos of the more unusual Ukuleles as soon as I get some time. In the meantime looking through these posts has been a pleasure and it makes me happy to see all of those who play these wonderful Vintage Ukuleles.

Top Bottom