SOTU 575 "SEE THE MUSIC, HEAR THE DANCE"

I'd been kicking this two chord (Am and G) song around for a while but was having trouble with lyrics for the chorus. This weeks theme solved it for me (y). I wanted to add some lead solos in a couple spots but I couldn't come up with anything that sounded good to me. I've got a lot to learn. Anyway, here it is in its current iteration. Blessings to all Seasonistas and their families. Thanks for hosting this week @LimousinLil

I’ve been drinking - I’ve been thinking - You’re still gone
Pictures fade - but your face - still hanging on
Talk to myself - nobody else - I’m chasing a ghost
Here I am - change of plans - my heart is broke

Come on dance - come on dance - dance with me
Hand in hand - once again - cheek to cheek

Can we dance - one more dance - between the sheets
Come on dance - one more dance - dance with me

Close my eyes - no surprise - I see your face
Waterfall curls - left this world - save me a place
Found each other - under cover - of a million stars
Spread your wings - makes me sing - bring on the dark

Come on dance - come on dance - dance with me
Touch my skin - once again - cheek to cheek

Can we dance - one last dance - between the sheets
Come on dance - come on and dance - dance with me

I wrote this song - cuz you belong - by my side
I’m just a man - who wants his hands - on you tonight
Freckles and curves - fingertip swerves - I hear you sigh
Now people say - are you okay - I just smile

Come on and dance - come on dance - dance with me
Hand in hand - once again - cheek to cheek
Can we dance - one more dance - between the sheets
Come on and dance - come on and dance - dance with me
Come on and dance - come on and dance - dance with me
Come on and dance

Last edited:
I'm endeavoring to do a second one this week which will include a lot more dancing, but for now please enjoy this lunar luminescence offering.

Bedtime here in deepest France and very many thanks to Stoney, Rob, John and Joko, who gave us today's contributions! In case you are still lacking in inspiration regarding the combination of ukulele and dance, I bring you a further suggestion ...

Roseville Fair - Bill Staines

You're probably gettin'sick of waltzes from me Val, so here's song from the late Bill Staines, a wonderful singer/song-writer who finger-picked a right-handed guitar upside down like Libba Cotten, the only other guitarist I've seen who did this. I used to play this song on clawhammer banjo back beore the turn of the century. Time to revive it.
I went to the Roseneath Fair with Maggie before we became romantically involved and were still just buddies. I was tempted to change "Roseville" to "Roseneath".

Last edited:
Hey Val! Thanks for the cool theme. This song name-checks The Pony, The Mashed Potato, The Alligator, The Watusi, The Twist, and The Jerk. I know there must be lots more because this is The Land of a Thousand Dances.

Nobody's done this one yet. Sam Cooke!

I'm too much of a derp to try to dance and sing and play, and yet I continue ...

Dance, Boatman, Dance - Dan Emmett, circa 1855
I think I first heard this, in a far more risque version by The Smothers Brothers on their Purple Onion LP which a high-school girlfriend owned.

And, yet again, it is time to sign off for the evening here in deepest France. There have been several superb terpsichorean contributions to add to the Playlist today - thank you All! - but if you are still in need of inspiration, have a look at this splendid example singing, dancing and uke playing ...

Here’s an original, written this evening for the season and for FAWM. It’s a love song, with some added synth bass, pads, drums and vocal harmonies. It includes the word ‘dance’.

Top Bottom