Season 573 - Tom Waits for Lowe man

Just checking in but with no time to listen. I will be back tonight to catch up. A pretty good haul for the first 23 hours. Keep 'em coming.

IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD - TOM WAITS (WON"T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOUR - FRED ROGERS)

Mr. Rogers makes a guest appearance here, but it's mostly Mr. Waits. Hope that's legal Steve.

Maggie asked me to put a low G set on her uke. I did that last night, Aquilla Reds, so I used her Oscar Schmidt koa concert for this video.

why do men become grumpy when they grow old?

I think I have caught up, and it's been a great mix of both writers, plus an original.
On my travels today I called in to a charity shop which I know has a half-decent music section. In among all the pretty terrible unwanted CDs and unplayable vinyl, I managed to find a nice copy of a Dave Edmunds album, and guess who wrote four of the songs - Nick Lowe.
By the way - the prizes...also from second-hand stores...a couple of compilation CDs of various artists covering songs by our two heroes. And it will be a random draw, as I can never pick a winner on merit.

why do men become grumpy when they grow old?
When male humans are young (pre-puberty forward), the vast majority of the thoughts entertained by even the most well-mannered and conscientious among us dwell primarily on one subject and the majority of that thinking is not consciously processed through through our brains. When we grow old, the same thoughts remain yet the likelihood of bringing those thoughts to fruition grows sharply lower. Ugh. Just typing that made me grumpy.:ROFLMAO: For further color, I suggest that you read, "Water For Elephants". It's extremely well written and entertaining, and the author goes into substantial and sometimes hilarious detail on this very subject, from a first person perspective.

Time for a canoe trip…missed this! Had tan days of swelling die to a failed root canal and ten more due to the surgery to fix it. I knew when the pain started and my face began to swell that I was up s** creek again

Reactions: TBB
So this is what I have been thinking... what makes a neighbourhood and a community. This song is perhaps about urban decay and things not working anymore. Garbage on the street, homelessness, guns for protection, squaller, packs of stray dogs, no services, and disruption everywhere.

Where nowadays do you find communities that are supportive and uplifting? Life would seem to be all about angst and isolation. I really do think that when art and culture and music and dance disappear from communities then decay really sets in. Things get burnt and broken and the good things that uplift a community they just disappear and are replaced by despair.

Dance today... your life may depend on it.

The Piano Has Been Drinking - Tom Waits

I did this a while back at the Seasonistas' On-Line Open-Mic . I don't really understand it, but it's always appealed to me. a I, vi, IV, V song
Since it's Tuesday in Port Hope, I hope it's legal to post this.

Last edited:
48 hours in and we already have songs from 12 Seasonistas. Things have been a bit biased towards Mr Waits lately, so I will throw in this short but sweet one from the pen of Nick Lowe.

I should be filling rooms with the sweet smell of success
I'm a mess look at what I've been reduced to
I don't blame you for sayin' no when you should have said yes
But darlin', darlin', darlin', look at me now I'm a mess
I'm a mess, I'm a wreck
I'm really on the deck
I'm a mess, look at how I'm living
Some of these days I'm gonna get back on my feet and quit this blue address
But darlin', darlin', darlin', in the meantime I'm a mess
The smart set, I used to run around with are invisible now
They all cut me loose when one said that what I've got might just rub of on
Them somehow
I'm a mess, for want of your caress
Darlin', darlin', darlin', look at me now I'm a mess.

And more Nick Lowe. Tbh, I could have recorded a great Nick Lowe song every day and there’d still be loads of his songs I’d want to do. This is one I recorded before, I think Andy, @Desert Pavement , did a Nick Lowe and Elvis Costello season, and I might have done this for that one. It may be one of his best known songs, perhaps THE best known song of his songs, one he wrote when he was in Brinsley Schwartz. But it bears repeating, because, as messages go, it’s hard to argue with.

Top Bottom