I don't think this is cool at all

From watching his video, he stated he had an unpleasant experience with Mims before all of this. Perhaps he took offense at Baz at some previous time period as well and this fueled his negative comments about him.

But yes, I would think there would be wisdom in not taking stabs at and making conclusions about an inflamed issue that has involved multiple parties without even seeing the video and admitting you have few facts about any of this.
The ONLY negative interaction I have ever had with Rich Davis is when I saw he posted a video trashing the Enya Nova U Pro Tenor despite never having even had one in his hands. i posted on his video that it was wrong to post a video describing something he had never seen. He took the video down. That is literally it.

Last edited:
Um. Wow. I mean, I get it, FB can get pretty out of hand (any social media can) with people responding, but I sure didn't think Baz's blog post was offensive in any way. I could tell he was pretty pissed off by his post, but he kept his language very reasonable, IMO. I am not on FB so I don't know what Baz's original FB post looked like, but if it was anything like any of his comments on the YT video or his blog post, I can't see that it would be worth shutting down, unless the follow up comments got unruly (certainly possible).
It didn't say anything unsavoury - it was me posting that I thought his charging for setups was a joke - that led to a LOT of people commenting about their bad experiences with ULTP - some about the paying for setups, some about paying for photos, some about dealings with him directly - it was all very calmly worded to be honest and nothing offensive and in fact a few saying they'd had good experience. Overall though the 'picture' the comments painted (not me - the commenters) was overwhelmingly negative to ULTP.

When you are a public thing like a shop - customers are right to be able to voice their opinions - my post was akin to a 'Trip Advisor' thing that 'enabled' people to have their say. If their say was a lie, the Carter's gripe is with them not me. Yet they chose me - who merely hosted a post.

But - then the threats came in from Heather Carter - and that was the thread she was p*ssed off by (probably because it carried a lot of truth?). And, more importantly, I was away with my family on a break and my phone was buzzing every minute. I needed a break from it. It really got me down.

So I just deleted the lot - whole thing made me contemplate jacking the whole thing in..

(Yet it was ME who got called the bully...)

EDIT - what's interesting here is that the 'complaint' seemed to be about me 'hosting' a thread (i.e posting something for comment that others then commented on with their experiences) not something I said myself. (This is why the Rich Davis video wound me up so much because he inferred I had said something incendiary, when i had not). The gripe was with the fact that others were commenting, so ULTP came for me.. By the same token, I can only assume that Heather Carter will also be targeting this site - a post that invited comment and led to many opinions being aired. EXACTLY the same...

Only, she won't - obviously...

Last edited:
I don't understand why anyone is defending his actions. There's marketing and there's fraud, the two are not the same. His fictional perpetual sale pricing is fraudulent because it's against FTC promotional guidelines. Period.

Federal Trade Commission on this practice:

And, I'd be very surprised if the State of California didn't also have something on the books about this type of shady behavior.

And, before the whataboutisms or the lazy red herring that it's just capitalism, Mim, SUS, etc. providing added value to distinguish themselves in a competitive market is capitalism.

But, deceptive pricing isn't capitalism, it's just fraud.
I agree with you as well.

Manufacturers traditionally set an MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) precisely so that the retailer can advertise that they have marked the item down XX% below the MSRP.

Even TUS has a sale price indicated for many of their ukes. I assume this is based upon MSRP.

ULTP appears to have taken this concept and pushed it to an extreme.

In the bad old days, a Mfg of a popular product could set a standard price for a product that all of the dealers/sellers had to follow. If they advertised or sold the item for a lower price in their region, the mfg or distributor would threaten to drop the dealer from their authorized roster. There were a number of lawsuits brought against this practice and it was deemed unlawful in several states. (Under creating a monopoly I believe.) But, various forms of pressure on the sellers still exist to persuade them to stay in line.

Price wars seldom benefited anyone except the consumer. If you see an ad that says the "price is too low to show." Or, put the item in the cart to see the reduced price. Etc. It's related to this. Sellers don't want to irritate the Maker or distributor with a lower price than what other dealers are selling the item for. But they may be willing to cut into their profit margin to close out an item. Or, it may be gray market items.

Speaking of cases.... when I bought my Koaloha from a HNL ukulele shop they included the Koaloha case for free. Same exact case at #1 is $150, marked down from $199 (ukes are the same price everywhere). I'm not sure they are even that much at the factory. wrt TUS, they have the Koaloha case for $95 and on occasion they will include an Oahu case for free with purchase of a Pono, even the plain old Mx/Ax/MGx.
Ko'Aloha offered a branded ABS case for a short time in 2018/2019 that was only available from their Factory Store. (Similar to Crossrock ABS cases.) I bought one and it is very nice and fit my 2017 KTM-00 tenor very snugly.
KoAloha Cases small.png

A Ko'Aloha branded Oahu hardshell case is presently available at TUS. I think this case offered elsewhere as well.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 5.35.53 PM.png

Last edited:
Ko'Aloha offered a branded ABS case for a short time in 2018/2019 that was only available from their Factory Store. (Similar to Crossrock ABS cases.) I bought one and it is very nice and fit my 2017 KTM-00 tenor very snugly.
View attachment 143180

A Ko'Aloha branded Oahu hardshell case is presently available at TUS. I think this case offered elsewhere as well.

View attachment 143181
Those are not Oahu, the shape and fit (not as much extra room at the headstock), placement of latches/handle, etc. hardware are all different. A store owner in Waikiki told me they were made by another maker, but that maker/brand would not confirm. The Oahu case could be a little nicer, but the Koaloha fits perfectly.

Last edited:
I agree with you as well.

Manufacturers traditionally set an MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) precisely so that the retailer can advertise that they have marked the item down XX% below the MSRP.

Even TUS has a sale price indicated for many of their ukes. I assume this is based upon MSRP.

ULTP appears to have taken this concept and pushed it to an extreme.

In the bad old days, a Mfg of a popular product could set a standard price for a product that all of the dealers/sellers had to follow. If they advertised or sold the item for a lower price in their region, the mfg or distributor would threaten to drop the dealer from their authorized roster. There were a number of lawsuits brought against this practice and it was deemed unlawful in several states. (Under creating a monopoly I believe.) But, various forms of pressure on the sellers still exist to persuade them to stay in line.

Price wars seldom benefited anyone except the consumer. If you see an ad that says the "price is too low to show." Or, put the item in the cart to see the reduced price. Etc. It's related to this. Sellers don't want to irritate the Maker or distributor with a lower price than what other dealers are selling the item for. But they may be willing to cut into their profit margin to close out an item. Or, it may be gray market items.
Some manufacturers still have a lowest advertised price rule, for example Martin for guitars. But retailers have all freedom to set their price as high as they want. If there are people stupid or desperate enough to pay the inflated price then you can not really blame the retailer. It will become a big problem if other retailers follow the practice, or manufacturers rise prices because people are willing to pay the price. Therefore we must support all efforts that steer people toward the lowest price and the good deals.

post #524! i think i just set a rekkid!

Some manufacturers still have a lowest advertised price rule, for example Martin for guitars. But retailers have all freedom to set their price as high as they want. If there are people stupid or desperate enough to pay the inflated price then you can not really blame the retailer. It will become a big problem if other retailers follow the practice, or manufacturers rise prices because people are willing to pay the price. Therefore we must support all efforts that steer people toward the lowest price and the good deals.
Except that's NOT what's happening here. He's pretending that he's offering a discount from an allegedly prior, higher price. See attached screenshot. In the US, that's deceptive pricing per the FTC. In the United States you cannot pretend that you are offering a discounted price, when in fact you never sold your product for the higher price to begin with and have always sold the product for the supposed discounted price.

What he's doing has nothing to do with MSRP or a manufacturers lowest advertised price rule. Completely different issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220902-072800.jpg
    Screenshot_20220902-072800.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 24
Except that's NOT what's happening here. He's pretending that he's offering a discount from an allegedly prior, higher price. See attached screenshot. In the US, that's deceptive pricing per the FTC. In the United States you cannot pretend that you are offering a discounted price, when in fact you never sold your product for the higher price to begin with and have always sold the product for the supposed discounted price.

What he's doing has nothing to do with MSRP or a manufacturers lowest advertised price rule. Completely different issue.
Quite agree - and when it comes to these Flight ukes - I don't think I've EVER seen that higher price figure mentioned anywhere on the planet! That's about twice as much as retail..

(EDIT - they have since put up more normal prices, but this comparison with the Flight website pricing was as at end July 2022)

Attachments

• 290251482_10160252454267065_2562404243864816293_n.jpeg
    290251482_10160252454267065_2562404243864816293_n.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
By the same token, I can only assume that Heather Carter will also be targeting this site - a post that invited comment and led to many opinions being aired. EXACTLY the same...

Only, she won't - obviously...
I think she already did a few pages back, Baz...

The whole "bully" thing is weird. It sounds very childish; you'd think if they really thought someone was trying to harass them they'd call it harassment, or slander...you know, the legal terms that adults use. Maybe just generational differences in language, I dunno.

I think she already did a few pages back, Baz...

The whole "bully" thing is weird. It sounds very childish; you'd think if they really thought someone was trying to harass them they'd call it harassment, or slander...you know, the legal terms that adults use. Maybe just generational differences in language, I dunno.
Yep - very odd. And of course slander would only work if somebody was making stuff up - the comments I saw that they objected to were personal stories from disgruntled customers, not lies.

Of course, doubling down is also NEVER a good look.

This thread actually had me dreaming last night that I saw a used Flea listed for $12,500 on the #1 site. I contacted them to helpfully point out what must be a typo, (maybe they meant $125.00 for a used Flea?), but they insisted that $12,500 was the correct price, and in fact, quite a bargain for a used Flea.

I hope that my dreams tonight will be more fun. LOL.

Top Bottom