Youtube help (how to disable ads on your own videos)

clear

Reaction score
I noticed that Youtube is putting ads at the beginning of some of my public videos.
I make videos usually to help forum members and make some public to help others; so I prefer them to have no ads.

What settings do I need to make to tell Youtube not to monetize the videos (i.e. don't put ads)?
I've been looking around, but can't seem to find anything.
Does anybody know?
Thanks.

Also, I noticed that many of my public videos can't be viewed fullscreen when embedded, the viewers have to go to Youtube itself to view them full screen. This is also a recent change that I just noticed.

It's a bit embarrassing to have ads in my videos, but I guess Youtube can't offer free hosting forever.

So far, I've not noticed any ads in my unlisted videos... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh YouTube ABSOLUTELY could allow channels to be ad-free if they wanted. They just don’t want to.

Also, I noticed that many of my public videos can't be viewed fullscreen when embedded, the viewers have to go to Youtube itself to view them full screen. This is also a recent change that I just noticed.

It's a bit embarrassing to have ads in my videos, but I guess Youtube can't offer free hosting forever.

So far, I've not noticed any ads in my unlisted videos... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
That's odd. Maybe it's a limited test of that "feature." I literally have hundreds of videos embedded in my guitar, 'ukulele and history web books and they all open to full screen viewing, even in 4K for my more recent uploads.

That's odd. Maybe it's a limited test of that "feature." I literally have hundreds of videos embedded in my guitar, 'ukulele and history web books and they all open to full screen viewing, even in 4K for my more recent uploads.
Yes, it is happening to me. Embedded videos that used to be able to expand to fullscreen now can't. Some videos are really old, and I've not made any changes to them. I may have to go Vimeo or elsewhere if the ads and these limitations spread to too many videos.

If the content has a bit of a song or material with valid copyrights attached to it and YT's copyright software 'finds' it, YT will inform you of the copyright violation. You can file a challenge to the 'strike' on your video (I've won all of mine due to public domain) but you need a valid argument of why it's your content to do as you please with like original content or public domain. There are some other allowances like educational use, but I've never looked into it. If you don't challenge or if you lose the challenge, YT will run ads and give the bulk of the revenue to the copyright holder. If you haven't challenged a copyright strike you can always do it later if you decide. It's a pita but if you're using someone else's material, you will need a forum other than YT to post protected material. Also, some folks using the same material never trigger the software so maybe try reloading a copy of it with different title and file name.

@mwilson, that's interesting and very good to know.

Frankly, I don't read the emails from YouTube, so perhaps their algorithm linked my likeness to some movie star or my speech to some rap song... :)
Here's one of the videos that now has ads if I don't embed it:

Here's the typical ad people now see:

Last edited:
You can win that challenge that if it was flagged by YT for CR violation. Content looks legit to me. Find video in your channel account under studio. Look in 'restrictions' column for any claims against video.

Last edited:
@mwilson, that's interesting and very good to know.

Frankly, I don't read the emails from YouTube, so perhaps their algorithm linked my likeness to some movie star or my speech to some rap song... :)
Here's one of the videos that now has ads if I don't embed it:

Here's the typical ad people now see:

Your video just opened fine and displayed full screen on my iMac (Safari). Maybe the problem is a setting or bug on your browser or OS?

Regarding the OP’s original question, it doesn’t matter if there’s copyright on it. It doesn’t matter what the video’s about or anything at all. They capitalized on a policy in 2020 to put ads on whatever videos they want.

They talk about it here.

Copyright strikes are still a thing, as is artists claiming rights to stuff, but ads being put on videos without notification? That’s not copyright stuff - that’s just YouTube being YouTube.

I use an ad blocker on YouTube and Google (disabled for independent websites). People say I am depriving YouTube of a profit, but they do OK without me.

A few years ago, I got a bit worried about my drinking. I started looking at 12-step programmes. YouTube started sending me adverts for off-licences. To hell with them. I didn't give them permission to enter into my head.

Your video just opened fine and displayed full screen on my iMac (Safari). Maybe the problem is a setting or bug on your browser or OS?
This video has no problems expanding. It's another video that can't expand; I really don't understand Youtube all that well (probably because I never read any of them emails or fine print).

Anyway, I have no problems with them making money while providing me with free hosting service. I only posted this thread to see maybe there's a setting I missed or something.

Top Bottom