Your Favourite Ukulele Ukulele Song

BigJackBrass

Charlatan, Humbug & Imitation Humorist
UU VIP
Reaction score
At the risk of being recursive, I was wondering which were the forum's favourite ukulele songs that feature the ukulele in subject or lyrics. Warren Zevon's The Hula Hula Boys, for example, with the line "And I can hear their ukuleles playing down by the sea," or perhaps George Formby's more direct With My Little Ukulele in My Hand. Lots of choices from a wide spectrum of artists.

Mine is probably the deliberately Formbyesque Sing a Mucky Song by the most unlikely punk-era chart performer Ivor Biggun. It's wonderfully cheerful and is a real love letter to those Formby favourites.

Note: Contains a couple of mildly naughty words and some innuendo.

And you can strum along if you like:

IMG_6684.jpeg

Last edited:
Here Comes The Sun is the first real finger style piece I learned years ago. I've only played it in a public performance maybe 3 times over the years. It's still my favorite mostly because of my admiration for George Harrison. I play quite a few pieces by George.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that one includes any mention of the ukulele.
In the part where he sings:
Here Comes the Sun (uke-'n doo-doo)

“My Little Ukulele in the Wings” (Neil Innes/The Rutles) is a wonderful parody of Formby’s cheeky style.

And I do enjoy “Hula Hula Boys.”

I've always liked "Crazy Words, Crazy Tune (Vo-do-de-O)" and always imagine my apartment building neighbors as the singer who wants to kill the ukulele player next door.

Washington At Valley Forge (a variant of Crazy Words, Crazy Tune)

Loudon Wainwright III's Ukulele Song

Four strings made of nylon

Always put a smile on

Anybody's face who's feeling down

My Ukulele Helps Me Beat The Blues

I've always liked "Crazy Words, Crazy Tune (Vo-do-de-O)" and always imagine my apartment building neighbors as the singer who wants to kill the ukulele player next door.
I was almost going to bring that to SOTU 629 a few weeks ago!

Its been this one, ever since The Concert For George Harrison. I'm not alone in this thought. There's something about the circumstances in totality that made it so.

My apologies for not reading every post. I didn't realize this was only for songs that specifically mentioned the word ukulele.

my favourite would have to be Cliff Edwards' 'I Did it With My Little Ukulele'
and also a big shout out to Loudon Wainwright's 'Got a Ukulele'.
such fantastic songs. you can't do anything else but smile when you hear them.
🙂

Top Bottom