Yet another build started, .... a de Houtwinkel baritone

Doc_J

Reaction score
While swore I was done with any new commissions almost 2 years ago, time passes and I was drawn in by the skill and enthusiasm of Daryl at de Houtwinkel. I liked what I saw and heard. Just secured a build spot and made some choices.

Top wood is sinker redwood, with figured Cocobolo on the back and sides. Macassar ebony for the fretboard/bridge and a Honduran mahogany neck.
Possibly curly maple, or curly myrtle, or curly mango for the body binding. Trying not to have much bling, just nice woods.

Not sure when it will start. I'll post more when it commences.

Bigriver16.jpegMcoco632.jpgMacassarebonyFB1.jpg

I really enjoy following their instagram and youtube stuff. Their instruments have been on my radar, but there are few sound samples out there to just give me a better idea of the instrument. I would love some eventual playing samples.

Also, holy moly the whorl on that back!

OMG that figured cocobolo is so extremely beautiful!!! I know not everyone loves loud patterns on their ukulele wood, but I, for one, am a fan, especially if it's something that will stay pattern-y when the wood eventually just all turns brown (as happens over time). Looking forward to seeing this one shape up!

I wasn't aware of this builder Hodge. As always you have a good eye for wood choice and Macassar ebony is my favourite fret board material. It looks to be a very interesting build, please keep us updated with progress pictures if he supplies them.

I guess the lesson here is never say never when it comes to ukuleles. I was so done accumulating then I bought three inexpensive non wood soprano ukes for camping/cycling, lol. Side note : the Enya Nova soprano is a winner.

do I need to queue The Godfather 2 clip? ;)

My personal opinion, of course, but I've been following his Instagram for a while and the de Houtwinkel ukes are best-looking ukes I've ever seen. The wood sets he gets are next level and the builds are so friggin' clean. +1 looking forward to your NUD. Congrats!

Thanks Dave. I’ve had a couple Spanish heel ukes over the years. I’m pretty sure my Waverly Street, Pepe Romero, and Makapili ukes were made with Spanish heels. No doubt Daryl has a good reason to build using that technique.

Looking good Hodge, thanks for the excellent pictures, always a treat. His bracing pattern is very unique, the top bracing reminds me of Taylor's new bracing on their guitars. It should sound wonderful

Daryl selected the V-form top bracing pattern based on my particular sound objectives (clarity, volume, warmth, even responsiveness over the strings, ... ). I'm impressed with his luthier knowledge and skills.
Daryl has been great asking me about preferences, giving recommendations, and sharing pictures of the build as it progresses. I do enjoy seeing his build process for my uke.

The uke back is now glued on and it is off of the clamped solera.

IMG_20231223_115624_752.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom