New Uke Day (NUD) Yamaha Guitalele Timple style

engravertom

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

After selling my Guitalele several weeks ago, I discovered the Timple on YouTube. Having been a fan of the baroque guitar for a long time, I am very fond of 5 string instruments.

Seeing that Timples cost a lot when you add in shipping to the US, I wondered what to do. A 4 string attempt at a solution wasn’t satisfactory for me.

Then I thought about the Guitalele. I found this one on goodwill finds for $70 shipped.

I was going to convert the bridge to 5 holes and then re slot the nut, but hesitated. Then I made up a chord sheet to see what a six string Timple chord sheet would look like. It’s essentially a high pitched lute with two reentrant strings. Ok!

So I put the Timple strings on 1-5, and added a regular C string from a Uke set and tuned it to d for the 6th string.

I’m so happy with the sound and feel!

Since the tension was very hard, I tuned it a step down. C f a# D g c

If I tune the D up to Eb, I have standard guitar intervals, with reentrant tuning! A mini soprano baroque guitar.

A Timple, Lute, and baroque guitar all in one!

Hopefully I can avoid discovering any more obscure but cool musical instruments…. For a little while! 🙂

IMG_7399.jpeg

IMG_7400.jpeg

IMG_7401.jpeg

The ding on the back is the only blemish, although the fret ends were pretty sharp. I smoothed them out when I changed the strings.

Lots of possibilities for this one! It sounds very bright and chimey when strummed.

🙂

Hello everyone,

After selling my Guitalele several weeks ago, I discovered the Timple on YouTube. Having been a fan of the baroque guitar for a long time, I am very fond of 5 string instruments.

Seeing that Timples cost a lot when you add in shipping to the US, I wondered what to do. A 4 string attempt at a solution wasn’t satisfactory for me.

Then I thought about the Guitalele. I found this one on goodwill finds for $70 shipped.

I was going to convert the bridge to 5 holes and then re slot the nut, but hesitated. Then I made up a chord sheet to see what a six string Timple chord sheet would look like. It’s essentially a high pitched lute with two reentrant strings. Ok!

So I put the Timple strings on 1-5, and added a regular C string from a Uke set and tuned it to d for the 6th string.

I’m so happy with the sound and feel!

Since the tension was very hard, I tuned it a step down. C f a# D g c

If I tune the D up to Eb, I have standard guitar intervals, with reentrant tuning! A mini soprano baroque guitar.

A Timple, Lute, and baroque guitar all in one!

Hopefully I can avoid discovering any more obscure but cool musical instruments…. For a little while! 🙂

View attachment 163608

View attachment 163609

View attachment 163610

The ding on the back is the only blemish, although the fret ends were pretty sharp. I smoothed them out when I changed the strings.

Lots of possibilities for this one! It sounds very bright and chimey when strummed.

🙂
Don't leave us hanging- video or sound clip please

That sounds wonderful. Beautiful playing Tom. What a great use of the guitalele. It looks very nice as well.

Very, very nice, @engravertom . I really liked your playing and the sound of that instrument. When you were strumming chords, it had a certain jingle-jangle to it, almost like a 12-string guitar. Well done!
Thanks! I appreciate it. I love the brightness and clarity of the Guitalele with these strings!

What a great jangle sound you get while strumming. Nice playing and beautiful music. Than you Tom for sharing your "new timple" with us. 👍

I will add three more interesting names for the timple player.
I recommend listening to them on YouTube for inspiration.

Pedro Izquierdo
German Lopez
Beselch Rodriguez

Nice playing and a pretty chime sound from your instrument. The intonation stayed true on your high string ending.
Thanks for taking the time to listen!
Nice.
I also play on Timple. It is a very nice tool. Here's some of my recording.

thanks! Very nice. I just got this in on Sunday.

IMG_7421.jpeg

It is a bit challenging for me, but I will learn some of these eventually.

You have arranged so many books! Thanks! I will be getting a few more in the New Year. 🙂

Thanks for taking the time to listen!

thanks! Very nice. I just got this in on Sunday.

View attachment 163783

It is a bit challenging for me, but I will learn some of these eventually.

You have arranged so many books! Thanks! I will be getting a few more in the New Year. 🙂

Thank you. Yes, I have written more books for this instrument. I really liked Timple.
And here is a link to the video for the book.

This has been a very informative thread for me. I had not heard of timple until I read this thread, so thanks all for your posts, and Tom, thanks for starting the thread.
So glad it has been helpful for you! I’m still new to the Timple, too.

As a once upon a time history major I love diving in and learning about things, especially plucked string instruments.

🙂

Top Bottom