Wood strap buttons

Junie Moon

Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for wood strap buttons? I've seen the Waverly ones at Stew-Mac: https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/strap-buttons/waverly-guitar-strap-button/ I'm not wild about the prominent screw head on those.

Has anyone tried an endpin instead of a screw-in button? https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/endpins-and-bridge-pins/waverly-ebony-endpin/

There used to be someone on Amazon who sold very nice ones that did not show the screw head. They were pricey, but looked very nice. I wish I'd purchased a few.

Cheers.

The wood strap buttons you mentioned that didn't show the screw head were made by Iluak. They are no longer in business. Their buttons were my favorites. They even made a custom pair with dark Koa wood for one of tenors.

There was a recent thread here about using violin end pins as strap buttons. Sorry, I don't have a link.

I have bought old violin buttons to get interesting design and a smaller size than guitar buttons. I have glued them in, as there is no need for them to be removable.
.I also have a not yet realised idea of making buttons with concealed screws by gluing in a screw in some old violin buttons.

For old ukuleles I have some old brass buttons from drawers, that I might use,
2023-08-05 22.26.10.jpg

Last edited:
Waverly makes a cast "dark tortoise" button that goes well with koa or acacia. Saw one on Amazon.

Sorry to hear that Iluak closed up.

The Waverly buttons from StewMac are excellent and I have them on several of my instruments. I wish they were cheaper and that StewMac's shipping charges for a package weighing an ounce or two weren't so outrageous! My last purchase of two faux-tortoise buttons was $20.52 for the buttons and $13.47 for shipping. Also a couple of dollars for state sales tax, but that's expected. :oops:

Solely because I happened across one and needed a strap button at the time, I repurposed a wooden golf tee when recently refurbishing a mildly abused Famous FU120P. Steps:
1-Using a sheet of light grit sandpaper, sand- out the concavity from the top (ball) edge of the tee, and round off the edges of that same end.
2-Use a small coping saw to trim 1 inch / 3 cm from the sharp end, leaving just enough length for the flat (ball) portion to accommodate a strap loop.
3-Stain and even add 2- 3 coats of spray sealant if your prefer it to shine. IMHO, the darker, the better.
4-Drill no larger hole in the lower bout butt end than you’d need for a traditional strap button.
5-Use a bit of Tite Bond or other standard wood glue and lightly force the cut end into the hole. Allow 8-12 hours for the glue to fully cure.

I admittedly have a tendency to resort to such hacks but am pleased with the outcome and, mechanically/ ergonomically, can discern zero difference between the repurposed golf tee and a store- bought strap button. And, aesthetically, there is no visible screw head.

Does anyone have a source for wood strap buttons? I've seen the Waverly ones at Stew-Mac: https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/strap-buttons/waverly-guitar-strap-button/ I'm not wild about the prominent screw head on those.

Has anyone tried an endpin instead of a screw-in button? https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/endpins-and-bridge-pins/waverly-ebony-endpin/

There used to be someone on Amazon who sold very nice ones that did not show the screw head. They were pricey, but looked very nice. I wish I'd purchased a few.

Cheers.
Notice the distinction. The endpin goes into the end block and has main purpose of resting the instrument on the floor. Strap attachment is a secondary use. Strap buttons on the other hand get installed in the heel.

Notice the distinction. The endpin goes into the end block and has main purpose of resting the instrument on the floor. Strap attachment is a secondary use. Strap buttons on the other hand get installed in the heel.
I asked Jake Maclay of Hive Ukuleles why his Hornet model has an end pin, he replied that he uses a long wrench to attach and tighten the neck to the body. He has to go through the butt of the ukulele, because trying to tighten it through the soundhole won't work. It's a process that has been used by guitar makers for a long time.

He didn't mention anything about the pin being there to rest the instrument. I'm sure that's a consideration and may be a reason for some makers to use them.

Since then I have noticed that several luthiers use endpins with their ukuleles. As far as I can tell, they all used a bolt to attach the neck.

I had contacted Jake because when I removed the strap from the endpin, the pin came right out. I about freaked because i thought I had broken my Hive tenor. He laughed and said to just put a drop of Super Glue on the pin and reinsert it. [Whew! 😲]

StewMac has packs of 6 Waverly strap buttons for $53 on Amazon. Ebony with gold or silver screws and a snakewood button with silver screw.

I asked Jake Maclay of Hive Ukuleles why his Hornet model has an end pin, he replied that he uses a long wrench to attach and tighten the neck to the body. He has to go through the butt of the ukulele, because trying to tighten it through the soundhole won't work. It's a process that has been used by guitar makers for a long time.

He didn't mention anything about the pin being there to rest the instrument. I'm sure that's a consideration and may be a reason for some makers to use them.

Since then I have noticed that several luthiers use endpins with their ukuleles. As far as I can tell, they all used a bolt to attach the neck.

I had contacted Jake because when I removed the strap from the endpin, the pin came right out. I about freaked because i thought I had broken my Hive tenor. He laughed and said to just put a drop of Super Glue on the pin and reinsert it. [Whew! 😲]
Interesting. Historically, guitars had mainly set necks and were played seated, so pin was there if it had to stand on the floor. Playing while standing is a more recent post-war style that emerged along with electric guitars. Many guitar players do not even insert the pin and just leave the hole. I prefer to put the pin in my guitars and play seated. So I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned.

Top Bottom