Wilson Ukulele - 1920s Chicago. Any Info?

Great find. It seems to be tenor scale? Something tells me this is a 1960s Japanese build, but I can't put my finger on it (b-w-b rosette, crown headstock, bridge type perhaps).

Lardy lists a Wilson brand in his database of ukulele brand, but I doubt it has a connection with this instrument, which seems to be of a much later date: "Founded in Chicago in 1887 as Wilson-Jacobs, becoming Wilson Bros in 1917, (and the main brother was called Thomas), the firm was originally a maker of Drums but like a number of other drum makers in the 1920's they had a go at making some Banjos, starting in 1925 with some Tenor Banjos. At the time of the announcement of this new line they also suggest they are going to include Guitars, Mandolins and Ukuleles in their Catalogue too? Exactly what they made I'm not sure, I have seen Tenor Banjos that look like Tenor Banjos, Banjos that look smaller, but may still be Tenor Banjos or may be Banjoleles? and I have seen a photo of a Ukulele, (though not of sufficient quality to say if they were making them or just rebranding - and I have read of a business connection with Lyon & Healy). I believe they went out of business in 1928 due to poor management and general lack of sales so it wasn't only the Banjos that killed them this time."

Could it be that the bridge isn't properly perpendicular to the strings, or is that to blame on the photography?

It doesn't look that old to me. I agree with the assessment that it's 1960s/70s Japanese. And yes, the bridge does look like it's on wrong.

I suspect the logo was taken off a tennis racket.

Attachments

• Wilson.jpeg
    Wilson.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 3
Could it be that the bridge isn't properly perpendicular to the strings, or is that to blame on the photography?
I think you're seeing the effect of a string running from the #4 peg to the #2 slot on the bridge. Funny angle.

Top Bottom