Why Do You Read Books?

Wiggy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
To be entertained, or to learn something?

I read to learn something. I have always been drawn to historical fiction, where an author creates a storyline to connect and explain the fragments of what is factually known. I also read history books, but they too are bits and pieces put into chronological order to create a continuum. They are (at least the "readable" ones) in essence historical novels.

I prefer to learn, and I enjoy historical fiction for precisely the reasons the OP described. At the same time, I enjoy pure entertainment which is what got me hooked on JK Rowling right along with my kids and on Lee Child's Reacher series, some of which are very well written short stories. I often read one book in bed at night and, during my daily commute, listen to another (usually different genres) through the Libby app on my phone.

I'm awed by JKR's ability to make the reader see the same historically-based fantasy world she imagined. Stephen Ambrose, David McCullough, Erik Larsen and James Michener did the same with factual events. The sheer heft and scope of Michener's tales created a sense of accomplishment for the reader. In high school, I despised history classes, largely because they were inevitably exam-based and heavy on "what date did this thing happen?" rather than, "Who was involved in it? What difference did it make? and ultimately, Why, today of all days, should we care?" Placing the emphasis on chronology was intensely boring and off-putting.

In my experience, schools teach math and other core subjects as if all of us exist in a scholastic vacuum. No one gives a thought to explaining the real- world necessity of each subject. My mother is a retired math teacher. My late dad was a master carpenter whose formal education ended at age 14 because his family earned a living from a small farm. Dad was at least as good at math as mom. Mom realized that, and she never failed to bring real-world examples into her lessons showing precise examples of why carpenters, professional cooks, salespersons and other tradesmen must master math, placing special emphasis on algebra and geometry. I may not enjoy British Literature but it's certainly helpful to know something about it if only for fostering conversation.

I intensely dislike self-help books that insist on closing each chapter with a "recap quiz". That feels far too "back in school" for me.

I read because I always have since a very young age. Maybe it was being the only child left with older parents on the farm and having to find my own entertainment that helped me develop the love for reading. Factual history, fictional history, fantasy, science fiction, and mysteries/detective novels.

The Redwall series has been one of my favorites as an adult for "Youth" fiction while Harry Turtledove's alternate history books just pulled me into the great what if things were slightly different concept. Really enjoyed the Toby Peters series by Stuart Kaminsky set in LA just before and during WWII. I still have some books left after downsizing of the Golden and Silver ages of science fiction that I enjoy a repeat read of after a few years. I fully admit that reading and rereading of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings ruined the movies for me as I was constantly saying that this isnt right, they added this, they left out this, and so on. Jackson committed literature murder most foul with spreading the Hobbit over four movies. (Ok, some of you probably enjoyed them which is fine as I know some feel same about Harry Potter movies vs. the books) Almost forgot I really enjoy historical fiction about the Napoleonic Wars, especially the naval books which are almost all British and everything from Bernard Cornwell.

I read to my Wife at bedtime every night to help her fall asleep which means I reread quite a bit and it is a great way to end each day together.

Anyway, to answer the original question I read because it is who I am and do so for both entertainment and to learn.

I read because I always have since a very young age. Maybe it was being the only child left with older parents on the farm and having to find my own entertainment that helped me develop the love for reading. Factual history, fictional history, fantasy, science fiction, and mysteries/detective novels.

The Redwall series has been one of my favorites as an adult for "Youth" fiction while Harry Turtledove's alternate history books just pulled me into the great what if things were slightly different concept. Really enjoyed the Toby Peters series by Stuart Kaminsky set in LA just before and during WWII. I still have some books left after downsizing of the Golden and Silver ages of science fiction that I enjoy a repeat read of after a few years. I fully admit that reading and rereading of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings ruined the movies for me as I was constantly saying that this isnt right, they added this, they left out this, and so on. Jackson committed literature murder most foul with spreading the Hobbit over four movies. (Ok, some of you probably enjoyed them which is fine as I know some feel same about Harry Potter movies vs. the books) Almost forgot I really enjoy historical fiction about the Napoleonic Wars, especially the naval books which are almost all British and everything from Bernard Cornwell.

I read to my Wife at bedtime every night to help her fall asleep which means I reread quite a bit and it is a great way to end each day together.

Anyway, to answer the original question I read because it is who I am and do so for both entertainment and to learn.
Thank you for mentioning Bernard Cornwell. I'm also a fan. Especially (and unexpectedly) enjoyed his sailing novels. Any idea of his 2 most recent books? I generally borrow them from the local library but have seen no new ones in years.

Thank you for mentioning Bernard Cornwell. I'm also a fan. Especially (and unexpectedly) enjoyed his sailing novels. Any idea of his 2 most recent books? I generally borrow them from the local library but have seen no new ones in years.
I get them from local library wherever I am living and havent seen any new ones in years either. Did a quick Google and there are two new Sharpe books. Really did enjoy the Netflix Last Kingdom series based on his Saxon series.

I mostly read to learn. Since I never read any classics in school, I have been catching up to my peers by reading as many of the classics as possible so I don't look like a moron by saying "I haven't read that one" all the time. I am not a fan of Novels, modern ones anyway. I haven't read a book written since 1985 or so. But I have read plenty of older books. Ancient books mostly. Greek and Roman books that have survived...and the Bible.

In High School, I got by by reading parts of books for any papers I had to write. Every time I had to write a book report, I used the same book, it was a biography of the Beatles. That book served as the source of every book report from 7th through 12th grades. I read my very first "real" book in college. Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass...or vice versa. Then, I read a whole bunch of History books because my major was History, before I switched to Architecture.

Both. I like to read non-fiction science (e.g. evolution, quantum physics, mathematics, ecology), history, biography (especially stuff like "Driving Over Lemons" or "A Year in Provence"). I dislike self improvement books with a passion. I also love fiction: sci-fi, fantasy, mystery, thriller (not gory, more like spy vs spy) are my favs. I've read some classics because they're classic for a reason, and I'm interested in ones we didn't cover in school. I'm a very active library user, I buy new books and used books, and I read unknown to me and reread favourites all the time.

I fully admit that reading and rereading of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings ruined the movies for me as I was constantly saying that this isnt right, they added this, they left out this, and so on. Jackson committed literature murder most foul with spreading the Hobbit over four movies.
100% this.
In high school, I despised history classes, largely because they were inevitably exam-based and heavy on "what date did this thing happen?" rather than, "Who was involved in it? What difference did it make? and ultimately, Why, today of all days, should we care?"
Absolutely! I am trying to encourage my daughter to remember that history is stories, and the more stories you read from various perspectives, the better you'll understand why we are where we are and maybe get some ideas of how to not repeat the same mistakes (or at least recognize when we are repeating the same mistakes... But I won't open that can of worms here because it's not the appropriate platform).

I read to learn something. I have always been drawn to historical fiction, where an author creates a storyline to connect and explain the fragments of what is factually known. I also read history books, but they too are bits and pieces put into chronological order to create a continuum. They are (at least the "readable" ones) in essence historical novels.

I grew up in a library. I loved it.

In High School, I got by by reading parts of books for any papers I had to write. Every time I had to write a book report, I used the same..."
Had to write a book report? Ugh! But I was saved many a time by using Cliff Notes. Before that was "Classics Illustrated" comic books for 12 cents.

If I don't read them the stack of unreads will grow out of check and take over. There are dangerous secrets in them, and I don't want to find out what happens if they escape untamed. I don't have an Orangutang to wrestle them into submission, so I have to do so myself.

Entertainment vs. learning is a spectrum and depends on my mood. Not counting instructional books (I don't really consider going through music exercises from a book "reading") I usually have at least two in progress - one light and fluffy and one more serious. Even so, there's generally something to learn in a light and fluffy book, and I don't have time to slog through a serious book that isn't at least somewhat entertaining.

Unless I'm sick, in which case I often pull out an old favourite, shut off the brain, and re-read it for the umpteenth time. Pre-Kindle (and pre-reading glasses) my wife would track "really sick" based on which beat up paperback I picked up.

...shut off the brain...
I wish I had that off/on button... however (in my dreams) when pressing "on" at will, the result would be an empty slate where I can resume my life.

This is why I mostly (unless when I'm waiting* in a JoAnn Fabrics or some Quilt shop's parking lot) read before I go to sleep.

*I really need to keep a Flight TUS-55 in the trunk! Ya never know ;)

Last edited:
Both.
When I read to be entertained, I always end up learning something.
When I read to learn, I find the process entertaining.
(Yes, I am easily amused.)

As it happens, I learned to read books around the same time that I learned to play my first musical instrument, so books and music have always been a major part of who I am. They bring the greatest joy to my life, and I couldn’t imagine a day without them.

I get them from local library wherever I am living and havent seen any new ones in years either. Did a quick Google and there are two new Sharpe books. Really did enjoy the Netflix Last Kingdom series based on his Saxon series.
I love Cornwell’s Saxon series, if you haven’t dipped in to them I thoroughly recommend them. Even if you’ve watched the series, which necessarily cuts a lot out and diverges a fair amount from the plot of the books.

Another of my favourites, possibly my absolute favourite, is C.J. Sansom’s Shardlake series. Like so much (possibly too much!) historical fiction they’re set in Tudor England, but they’re brilliantly well written and Shardlake is a wonderful character. Also, Sansom puts very detailed historical notes at the end which I really enjoy.

Personally I read for entertainment, but I don’t like anything “fluffy”. I read mainly fiction, the darker the better, and some (pretty lightweight!) science non-fiction.

I read a lot, mainly in bed at night, I love really long books that you can get thoroughly lost in. Stephen King is another of my favourites, his books make me feel nostalgic for an experience of childhood that couldn’t be more different from my own!

I read whatever sounds interesting. I enjoy books on other cultures and I like historical biographies. I don’t particularly enjoy historical fiction because a lot of people take too much as factual.

(This was my biggest complaint when The Greatest Showman came out and everyone was suddenly an expert on the circus.)

I don’t have a particular genre as a favorite, though I’ve been reading and enjoying more and more romance. I like the idea of self-development books, but I’m super wary of them as some are great, most are mediocre, and some - particularly ones released within the last ten years or so - are borderline predatory on the audience. It’s grotesque and I take offense at it because it’s nothing short than trying to take advantage of people who are just trying to become better versions of themselves.

i read a mix of fiction and non-fiction, the non-fiction normally being history, philosophy, or, lately, more and more books about the history of US economics and its impact on Americans.

Riveting stuff.

I read whatever sounds interesting. I enjoy books on other cultures and I like historical biographies. I don’t particularly enjoy historical fiction because a lot of people take too much as factual.

(This was my biggest complaint when The Greatest Showman came out and everyone was suddenly an expert on the circus.)

I don’t have a particular genre as a favorite, though I’ve been reading and enjoying more and more romance. I like the idea of self-development books, but I’m super wary of them as some are great, most are mediocre, and some - particularly ones released within the last ten years or so - are borderline predatory on the audience. It’s grotesque and I take offense at it because it’s nothing short than trying to take advantage of people who are just trying to become better versions of themselves.

i read a mix of fiction and non-fiction, the non-fiction normally being history, philosophy, or, lately, more and more books about the history of US economics and its impact on Americans.

Riveting stuff. And also, I like reading something totally new. It can be books of different genres, short stories, and sometimes even poetry. And because I'm a student, I have a chance to do it and do it pretty often. Sometimes I also need to write a paper on what I've read, and it's my favorite activity. But thanks to hundred sources, I always manage to do it. Last time this page https://studydriver.com/the-things-they-carried-essay/ with different The Things They Carried analysis essay samples helped me out greatly. I loved the novel, but writing about it was so complicated, and it's good that I managed to find such examples. And honestly, I enjoy reading more when I have nothing to write later.

The same. I also read whatever looks interesting and worth reading. It can be a romantic novel or a historical book based on real events.

My favorite genre is detective, and I love reading it and can say that reading such books is the best way for me to relax and switch from problems.

But I'm interested in different things, in psychology and history, and I read such books often. But I don't set a goal "to learn something" before reading because it sounds like a home task. I read to enjoy, but also that reading improves my skills and knowledge.

Last edited:
I love Cornwell’s Saxon series, if you haven’t dipped in to them I thoroughly recommend them. Even if you’ve watched the series, which necessarily cuts a lot out and diverges a fair amount from the plot of the books.

Another of my favourites, possibly my absolute favourite, is C.J. Sansom’s Shardlake series. Like so much (possibly too much!) historical fiction they’re set in Tudor England, but they’re brilliantly well written and Shardlake is a wonderful character. Also, Sansom puts very detailed historical notes at the end which I really enjoy.

Personally I read for entertainment, but I don’t like anything “fluffy”. I read mainly fiction, the darker the better, and some (pretty lightweight!) science non-fiction.

I read a lot, mainly in bed at night, I love really long books that you can get thoroughly lost in. Stephen King is another of my favourites, his books make me feel nostalgic for an experience of childhood that couldn’t be more different from my own!
I’ve just ordered the first Shardlake novel on your recommendatio, so it better be good 😉. I do love history, especially Medieval English history. That said I’ve just finished part one of Ken Follet’s Century trilogy which is set in the run up, and during World War One, and I loved it. A few years back I also read a Michael Arnold novel set during the Civil War, Traitor’s Blood ( again first of a trilogy but somehow I never got round to reading the others).

I’ve just ordered the first Shardlake novel on your recommendatio, so it better be good 😉. I do love history, especially Medieval English history. That said I’ve just finished part one of Ken Follet’s Century trilogy which is set in the run up, and during World War One, and I loved it. A few years back I also read a Michael Arnold novel set during the Civil War, Traitor’s Blood ( again first of a trilogy but somehow I never got round to reading the others).
Oh god, the pressure! I’m actually quite jealous of you getting to read them all for the first time, I started rereading them recently and the first one is probably the weakest (just covering myself there 😆), but they really are cracking books.

I haven’t read Follet’s century trilogy, but I really enjoyed Pillars of the Earth, the detail about the building of the medieval cathedrals was fascinating. I couldn’t get through the rest of the series though, I found the way he writes about his characters (particularly the women) tediously formulaic. Maybe I should give the Century trilogy a go. Will also look out for Michael Arnold, I’m always hoping to find a new series to get my teeth into 😁

I’m a big fan of “historical fiction” (based on actual events) and enjoy Ken Follet, Bernard Cornell, and a host of others. The last few years I’ve been doing the “kindle” thing as were getting overrun with books that probably won’t be reread…
On the other end of the spectrum, I also enjoy a good “space opera”…🚀

Top Bottom