Who hasn't bought a uke in ....

I haven't but I don't count. I have a custom re-entrant, a custom linear, and a custom baritone. I play them everyday and don't want anything else. I have never really been interested in the picometer worth of difference between tone woods.

Come to think of it, I've never bought a uke. My first one was a Christmas present. Then I got the StewMac soprano kit and built that myself. Now I'm just finishing up a boat paddle uke from scratch. I could safely say that I'll never bother to buy a uke.

Almost... 11 months since I bought a ukulele for myself... I'm feeling pretty good about my self-restraint and for getting my UAS under control after a mere 5 ukes in my personal instrument hoard.

I have bought quite a few cheaper ukuleles for my students... Still have two brand new KALA KA-15Cs in their boxes to get next year started... Do those count? They were not bought for myself...

If the ones in my student collection count, well, it's probably about 10 bought since last summer... I re-sold several of them but there are still quite a few in the classroom...

But as for myself, I'm holding firm... although I'm still kicking myself for not bidding higher on that Bruce Wei concert listed on eBay that sold for $88.77!!! Could have been mine!

So- I'm not done looking - but I have slowed down my buying...

Attachments

• Good thing.jpg
    Good thing.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
A little over a month for me. And that’s all the fault of your pesky thread! 😁

I still squeeze the UAS trigger when I want to fill an empty stall in my stable, but the instrument really has to speak to me for that purpose. Right now, I’m considering a soprano for the office and a backup electric tenor, but I’ve not made any decisions as yet. I have no particular plans.

I went the first 35 years of my life without buying uke.

OK I think I have a serious problem! This year I have bought...
1 Banjolin (thinking it was a 8 string Banjolele)
8 Ukuleles (5 in one ebay auction & most recent is in the post)
13 Banjoleles (mostly 1920-40s needing repair/restoration, all now playable)
Surprisingly none in my ebay watchlist, but I do keep checking the listings just in case a Dallas 'D' , Risa Stick or Vox Ukelectric come up at a reasonable price.

I'm still biting at cheap deals whether I need them or not. I'm fighting the urge to get a Fender Montecito tenor on offerup right now for $80 for example and I've never owned a composite uke but think I might want one. I can see culling my herd eventually to about 4-5 ukes that play and sound the way I like but right now I'm still exploring. Since getting into uke and joining here about 9 months ago, I've picked up a banjolele, 1 concert, 2 tenors, a super tenor, a solid body electric tenor, an 8 string tenor and a baritone. Already I know some or most of these will not make my final cut. Hopefully in 2 years I can say I have not bought one in a year.

I haven't bought a uke in the past year (I did buy a Merlin dulcimer and a tenor guitar...)
Oh wait. I guess I did buy an "Amahi" soprano uke...

Last edited:
My first uke was a hand me down Martin soprano from my mom. It lasted me almost 20 years. I pretty much thought that was all there was to the uke. Then, about 10 year ago a friend let me play their concert, and another friend let me stum their 8 string Kala tenor. I‘ve been fighting UAS ever since.

Last uke I bought was a banjoele in March 2020. I finally have enough!

Does it count if you have bought some and then sold them? :)

But you are making up for lost time!
Well, I suppose I did buy 2 in the past 3 months but before that I hadn’t bought a uke in over a year, maybe even 2 years, and in fact sold 1 in the past year. (though I did also buy a guitar, my fretless banjo, and like 8-10 harmonicas in the past year)

Last edited:
I haven't. Can't explain it. Starting to get cravings.

I believe I have not bought any instruments in the last year. The last I bought was a plastic travel uke I bought before last summer vacation, that must be a year ago. I should get a badge or something!

But then... I did buy an audio interface... And a microphone... And get a mic stand...
Always some gear to be shopping for.

Top Bottom