Where to buy a ukulele in Atlanta GA?

Same goes for shopping at Dicks Sporting Goods if you're not in a town that has a REI store.
This made me laugh. I have 2 REI stores within 15 minutes but made a purchase at Dick's yesterday. Although I don't think a pair of Super Feet insoles counts as high end outdoor gear. :)

Here's hoping that the OP's friend gets enough out of their current uke to lead to a Uke Republic visit. My dealings with Mike have always been positive & I had the pleasure of meeting him in person at the 2019 TBUG festival in St. Pete Florida.

Depends what you are looking for...REI won't have basketballs or baseball gloves. REI for quality outdoor gear, but bikes at neither.
Nooo, bikes at a good bike shop!

Depends what you are looking for...REI won't have basketballs or baseball gloves. REI for quality outdoor gear, but bikes at neither.
Although I would agree that a good bike shop is the best choice, in the last few years REI has been carrying some better bike brands.

Although I would agree that a good bike shop is the best choice, in the last few years REI has been carrying some better bike brands.
I purchased my first electric assist bicycle from REI last year. As a national brand, they had the one I wanted come back in stock more often whereas the wait for the same model at my local shop was uncertain (they could not even give a date). And the savings is 10 - 15% on rebates as a member... I live 5 miles from a store so could ride there.

My experience with their service department is that they are very good at a reasonable price. They are accessible, even just for questions about how to do something myself, and their work is "professional" with both the bike a purchased and a thirty year old ten speed that they fixed.

I would probably not buy an ukulele from them, though.

@Oldscruggsfan LOVE your Yowling Ginger Tom DIY! Coincidentally, my friend also paints (attached pink rabbit with tiny house is one of hers.) What kind of paint did you use? Did you do anything to prep the surface before painting?

View attachment 144711
Thank you! For several weeks between January and April of this year, I actually became somewhat obsessed with designing cartoon scenes and animals whose mouths or shapes would work into and around a soprano uke sound hole. I ended up with nearly 20 such characters, including a bright red dog house, a breaching sailfish and a "Wile E. Coyote/ Roadrunner"-style desert tunnel, but settled on Yowling Ginger Tom.

The pink rabbit is nice, especially the shading. Brings the lovely rabbit tale, "Watership Down" to mind. I primarily used acrylic craft paint but used a paint marker to outline the banjo that Tom is sitting on. I did no surface prep other than lightly sanding, then wiping dust from the unfinished wood with a damp cloth and allowing it to dry. When the painting was finished, I added 3 coats of clear spray sealant.:cool:

Last edited:
I primarily used acrylic craft paint but used a paint marker to outline the banjo that Tom is sitting on. I did no surface prep other than lightly sanding, then wiping dust from the unfinished wood with a damp cloth and allowing it to dry. When the painting was finished, I added 3 coats of clear spray sealant.:cool:
Thank you! I'll pass that along and I just might paint a ukulele myself!

I'd love to see a forum thread where people shared ukuleles they've painted. (is "PIY" a thing?”) Have you ever come across one? If it doesn't exist, I'm nominating you (@Oldscruggsfan) to start one!

Yeah uke republic for sure! Mike is a stand up guy. I’ve been twice, he was extremely helpful and I felt like I got the red carpet treatment even though I was brand new to ukuleles. The store is located inside an old mill, very cool location.
Buying my Koaloha there this Saturday

I never knew! Driven near there several times over the last decade.
FTW (for the wife), do they have any quilt shops?
I don't know about any other shops there, but Uke Republic is located in an old renovated thread mill which is worth seeing.

I get what you're saying, but I think a lot of people get their first uke as an impulse buy. The impulse just hit her when she was in Ross!
You’re 100% correct. And, my analogy was further flawed because our local hardware store stocks wonderful chocolate bars, for which a chunk of each sale is donated to a children’s hospital.

Uke Republic in Austell Georgia, Just southwest of Atlanta....Mike has been great there!

Top Bottom