Where to buy a ukulele in Atlanta GA?

Lillymo

Reaction score
A friend who lives in Atlanta bought a ukulele at Ross Dress For Less for $15 and she doesn't understand why it won't stay in tune. I told her that in most instances, a $15 ukulele Is something you hang on the wall, not something you play.

Where should she go in Atlanta to buy a ukulele? A good selection of ukes including less expensive options and a beginner-friendly, non-pushy, genuinely helpful staff obviously a huge plus!

thanks!

A friend who lives in Atlanta bought a ukulele at Ross Dress For Less for $15 and she doesn't understand why it won't stay in tune. I told her that in most instances, a $15 ukulele Is something you hang on the wall, not something you play.

Where should she go in Atlanta to buy a ukulele? A good selection of ukes including less expensive options and a beginner-friendly, non-pushy, genuinely helpful staff obviously a huge plus!

thanks!
Same friend probably buys candy bars at the hardware store, LOL.

Thank you! I’ve seen a zillion ukulele demos posted by Uke Republic on YouTube, I didn’t know that they're near Atlanta. Excellent suggestion!

Last edited:
Yeah uke republic for sure! Mike is a stand up guy. I’ve been twice, he was extremely helpful and I felt like I got the red carpet treatment even though I was brand new to ukuleles. The store is located inside an old mill, very cool location.

Guitar Center. Lots of haters here, but it's works great for somebody in her situation.

Uke Republic. Great place!

Just a little update. I talked to my friend over Facetime and she showed me her ukulele. The brand is ADM - besides the name on the headstock, it's pretty much identical to my brother's inexpensive but playable uke. When I saw that it has friction tuners, I showed her how to adjust them so that they hold a pitch. I also told her about Uke Republic, it's excellent reputation and the advantages of buying a ukulele in person from a shop that can do a setup. Now that she has a tunable ukulele, she can learn a few chords and strums and figure out if she wants to stick with it. If she decides to upgrade, she'll be in a much better position to choose a ukulele she'll enjoy for a long time. Well maybe. I'm hoping I haven't set her down the UAS path!

Thanks again for suggesting Uke Republic and all the thumbs up!

Last edited:
This. So this.
Same goes for shopping at Dicks Sporting Goods if you're not in a town that has a REI store.
Just a little update. I talked to my friend over Facetime and she showed me her ukulele. The brand is ADM - besides the name on the headstock, it's pretty much identical to my brother's inexpensive but playable uke. When I saw that it has friction tuners, I showed her how to adjust them so that they hold a pitch. I also told her about Uke Republic, it's excellent reputation and the advantages of buying a ukulele in person from a shop that can do a setup. Now that she has a tunable ukulele, she can learn a few chords and strums and figure out if she wants to stick with it. If she decides to upgrade, she'll be in a much better position to choose a ukulele she'll enjoy for a long time. Well maybe. I'm hoping I haven't set her down the UAS path!

Thanks again for suggesting Uke Republic and all the thumbs up!
@Lillymo - As you may have already seen, Amazon prices for ADM beginner soprano uke bundles are $39.99 and Sears (wait, are they still in business?) is asking $54.99. With your help, your friend may be able to keep her $15.00 uke in tune often enough and long enough to learn some chord progressions & strumming technique. Chances are it's no poorer quality than my Yowling Ginger Tom DIY (see avatar). After inexpensive upgrades including Fremont Black strings, heel strap button, new bison bone saddle and lowered action at both nut and saddle, my bargain basement uke serves its purpose of reducing stress via a new, fun and interesting musical hobby.

Attachments

• Uke back - No armadilloes.png
    Uke back - No armadilloes.png
    289 KB · Views: 25
  • Uke - My DIY AFTER.png
    Uke - My DIY AFTER.png
    440.7 KB · Views: 24
Top Bottom