Whatever happened to the Kala Elite 3Koa?

ukuevey

Reaction score
Are they done with Elite KOA? Yea, myrtle, spruce........KOA??

Last edited:
I own a Kala Elite Myrtle. Absolutely phenomenal balance and intonation. Best uke I've ever laid my hands on. The spruce/Honduran mahogany wasn't far behind. My local shop (Aloha City Ukes) has the doghair, the XL maple and the cedar/koa "coming soon." I'm really looking forward to hearing them.

I think they make the elites in different woods instead of just the koa 1,2,3 series.
TUS has the elite in spruce/myrtle. It's a beauty and sounds wonderful in the videos.

I own a Kala Elite Myrtle. Absolutely phenomenal balance and intonation. Best uke I've ever laid my hands on. The spruce/Honduran mahogany wasn't far behind. My local shop (Aloha City Ukes) has the doghair, the XL maple and the cedar/koa "coming soon." I'm really looking forward to hearing them.
I have the Elite in myrtle also. I totally agree with your assessment!

Are the done with Elite KOA?
If you are wondering because you are seeking a new one, why not just phone/email them? These are limited productions in California and perhaps not on any set schedule. If you were interested, they might have the wood, or acquire it, to meet your request.

Are the done with Elite KOA?
I understand spruce and myrtle. It is just that their 3KOA line just is not as it use to be. Around 2019 they had beautiful 3koa instruments. Now, where's their koa? And, when it does appear on their site, or elsewhere, it is not as nice as it use to be. I have a Kala 3koa-CG, july 2019. Crazy curly Koa. Sound is outstanding. Great gator case (choice emerald green interior, red stitching...) .

I suspect, given the sustainability aspect (or lack there of), we are going to be seeing a gradual-but-continuous reduction in koa offerings across the board. The K brands are literally built on koa, so they'll hang on for as long as they possibly can. But it doesn't surprise me that a builder like Kala Elite, that does such little volume comparatively (and at a price point where folks who want a koa uke are probably more prone to reach for a K brand anyway) might just cede that wood choice all together in favor of others where they can establish a deeper niche.

Top Bottom