What would be a fair price for a vintage Martin Tenor ukulele?

meppmb

Reaction score
Hello all! I have a vintage Martin tenor ukulele in really good shape that I would like to rehome but I'm not sure what to ask for it. It's got 14 frets to the body, appears to be all original, has a few scratches but no cracks or separations. Not sure of the age but I'm thinking early 1960's. It has great sustain and tone.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much, Susan

Google can be your friend here: Enter "vintage martin tenor ukulele" and a lot of ebay listings pop up. Also Guitar Center shows some... and there must be many more that I did not look at. These should serve as a guide for you if you can find similar models and condition to the one you have. Be aware that these are asking and not necessarily "selling" prices.

Google can be your friend here: Enter "vintage martin tenor ukulele" and a lot of ebay listings pop up. Also Guitar Center shows some... and there must be many more that I did not look at. These should serve as a guide for you if you can find similar models and condition to the one you have. Be aware that these are asking and not necessarily "selling" prices.
Thank you for your advice!

If you can post some pictures, including the front and back of the headstock as well as anything inside the sound hole, someone on here might be able to nail down the date a little better.

If you can post some pictures, including the front and back of the headstock as well as anything inside the sound hole, someone on here might be able to nail down the date a little better.
Hello there, without posting photos, the front of the headstock has the C.F. Martin & Co. est. 1833 decal, nothing on the back and it says C.F.Martin and Co. Nazareth, PA inside sound hole.

Hello there, without posting photos, the front of the headstock has the C.F. Martin & Co. est. 1833 decal, nothing on the back and it says C.F.Martin and Co. Nazareth, PA inside sound hole.
I just did more research online and the source said that in 1960 Martin added 'Made in USA' to the stamp in the sound hole. So this one is before that.

Martin ukes come in different styles and the style is usually the main factor in price. If it is style 0 or 1 which are very plain and 1000s were produced then price can be a few hundred dollars depending on condition. If it is a higher style with more ornamentation then value can be much higher.

I sold a nice one last month. The buyer said it was nicer then expected, even after I sent detailed pics. The uke and case went for $1200.

Martin ukes come in different styles and the style is usually the main factor in price. If it is style 0 or 1 which are very plain and 1000s were produced then price can be a few hundred dollars depending on condition. If it is a higher style with more ornamentation then value can be much higher.
He did say it’s a tenor. They didn’t make different varieties of the vintage tenors….

He did say it’s a tenor. They didn’t make different varieties of the vintage tenors….
While there was only the 1T mass produced there were many custom ordered higher styles made up to 5KT. I assume that those would be quite valuable to collectors and possibly others.

They did make versions with 12 or 14 fret frets to the body.
This one is 14 frets to the body.

Thank you everyone for your advise and input, greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Top Bottom