What is an unpopular/controversial opinion you have regarding the ukulele?

Baritone isn’t a uke.
😝
Baritone deserves just as much love as any other size. An ensemble really sounds good with the different sizes and folks playing different styles.

I know there's even more controversy regarding a guilele, but it's just a uke with two added bass strings. I understand people's argument either way. I'm good with that. :)

Last edited:
Believe it or not, if you would have asked me last week the answer would have been 1. This week the answer is 2, but I feel a low-G and high-G is justifiable.

I’m at the point in my ukulele journey where I’d rather have 1-2 very nice ukuleles than half a dozen midrange ones.
I agree with your sentiments. I currently have two baritones (one nice and one meant for outdoors and travel) and two tenors one low g and one high g. Only play my baritones though…

My hot take: Most recorded ukulele music focuses too much on the ukulele carrying the album. This is likely a result of the virtuosos like Jake Shimabukuro and Taimane. I think the music should be the focus instead of the instrument. Which means multiple instruments should be heard along with singing. Beirut albums and James Hills albums starting with Man With A Love Song are a better representation of what the ukulele is capable of imo.

Hey all,

As the title says, what is a "hot take" or unpopular/controversial opinion you have about something related to the ukulele?

I'll start: Ukulele play-alongs on YouTube can be fun to watch/play along with, but these videos don't really show you how to get better at uke on your own, how to make your own arrangements, understand music theory, become a better musician, etc.

Simon
As a creator of play along videos, in my case, and I’ll also add for a few of the others, the goal is to make resources that can be used with groups of students, age 11 up, in music classes where students can learn how the basics and play music they enjoy (I also make play alongs in a variety of styles). And what is great is that it takes away the requirement to sing (though they sing anyway).

The play alongs were never really meant to be for everyone (though anyone is welcome to use them) nor were they meant to be the only thing that someone ever plays…

But it does make learning enjoyable and fun in music classes, which are often trapped in the genres of folk music and classical music. And I love classical and folk music—but it isn’t THEIR music.

In my interview with Jim Beloff, Jim didn’t want to make a 3rd Daily Ukulele, feeling that “his” music was represented and that it was someone else’s job to represent the music of others—I’m glad he changed his mind and is coming out with the 3rd collection !

Unpopular take--strumming patters usually get in the way of people's progressing.
Yet the #1 comment I see on my play along videos is “What’s the strumming pattern?”

I don’t post one. First, there usually isn’t a “correct” single pattern. Second, teachers that use the video, if they stress patterns (I don’t…I encourage strumming which leads to their own patterns), want to teach their own pattern. And third, if I suggest a pattern, I am told I am wrong! 😂

My hot take: Most recorded ukulele music focuses too much on the ukulele carrying the album. This is likely a result of the virtuosos like Jake Shimabukuro and Taimane. I think the music should be the focus instead of the instrument. Which means multiple instruments should be heard along with singing. Beirut albums and James Hills albums starting with Man With A Love Song are a better representation of what the ukulele is capable of imo.
But, I also think that there are too little recorded albums of strictly solo ukulele music. Led Kaapana's Jus Press Vol 2 is up next in my listening queue. Without recordings like these, the instrument doesn't stand alone in the same way that all the other classical orchestral instruments do.

Here's an unpopular one:
People who say Ookalaylee, when they are speaking English sound ridiculous. I can even hear it when they write. They call it "an" Ukulele. Ridiculous!!! Should only be pronounced that way by people fluent in Hawaiian...and I mean fluent. Otherwise, you sound silly.
I say (or try to say) ‘ukulele as I know Hawaiians who have asked me to do so.

The problem isn’t that you sound “ridiculous,” but that you do sound pretentious when doing so.

I’ll never correct someone for their pronunciation of “ukulele.” But if I’m asked, I’ll explain why I try to say it they way I do.

What I haven’t figured out is why we aren’t requiring the ‘Okina in ‘ukulele…maybe it’s one step at a time?

I also haven’t figured out why it isn’t “ook” for “uke”?

I’m going right to the most unpopular two words that can ever grace the illustrious pages of this sacred forum:

Banjo ukulele
Amen, brother! (Or sister, as the case may be.)

Baritone deserves just as much love as any other size. An ensemble really sounds good with the different sizes and folks playing different styles.

I know there's even more controversy regarding a guilele, but it's just a uke with two added bass strings. I understand people's argument either way. I'm good with that. :)

I pretty much only play baritone…so I guess I don’t know what I’m playing.

My tongue was firmly planted in cheek with my comment. I don’t play baritone myself, but I do like how it sounds and I know it’s a uke.

I seem to do some of the things people complain about 😆.

I usually say ookoolele. My native language is neither English nor Hawaiian, but it pronounces it that way. I carry it over to english. Yes, it sounds a bit off in english, but so be it. If it wasnt for ookoolele also being right in Hawaiian, I would probably adopt the english pronounciation.

I have participated a lot in the Seasons. I usually only comment on few videos, to some it might appear as none, but reply to the comments people leave on my videos. On the other hand, I DO feel obliged listen to others songs when I participate. Yeah, what is the use if I dont leave comments to prove it? 😆. But imagine going to an open mic, and only staying while you performed and then skidadling? That would be rude, the true contribution is your attention not the songs you sing. Leaving comments would require actively watching and commenting on several hours of footage each week, as opposed to passively listening to it while doing stuff on the side. And finding better comments than "nice bring" requires focus. As someone who also need to attend to a job and hope to find a few minutes to play my ukuleles during the week, my compromise is listening but not always looking at the videos during the entire song and commenting. But when someone comments on my songs, I get a notification in the app and find it easy to answer, impolite not to.

Last edited:
Left-handed people should play right-handed strung instruments.

You'll notice that I've allowed for further controversy by not specifying whether they should play 1) left-handed with the instrument upside down or 2) right side up as if the player was right-hand dominant . . . because I want those people to argue with each other, not with me.

But all* instruments should have side fret markers on both sides, it's a simple thing that assumes assures that anyone in the future can pick up the instrument and enjoy it as much as anyone else.

*Except perhaps Anuenue moon birds, some instruments are so "right-handed" that they just wouldn't be very fun to own as a type 1 lefty.

Last edited:
Also semi-related: I've noticed some Seasonistas who never comment on anyone else's videos, but would reply only on their page.
Guilty! I reply to YT comments on my channel content page when I am there. But when I watch the videos, I do it in the season's thread - hit play, listen, scroll down the page to the next video. I usually don't watch the videos in YT, so I haven't yet commented on any (I just use the forum like button). Maybe I'll need to consider watching them in YT?

I am with you. I definitely see Ukeclass's point as well as far as correct traditional pronunciation. My old man was a professor of literature and the English language and was a grammar nazi.

I was a library administrator for 20 years.

But I do not say ookoolaylee. Only yookoolaylee for me.

It's not a big deal, really. I have a deep love and admiration for Hawaiian and Polynesian culture. I love Hawaiian music. I don't mean it to be disrespectful or culturally offensive, but I'm not an islander. I grew up in Minnesota.

If you listen to old jazz and hokum songs--going back over a hundred years--that use the word, it's generally "yookoolaylee" and that's what sounds right to me.

It's what I use even if it may not technically be "first and best."
Ah, but do you have a grandparent in Hawaii correcting you over the phone every time you mispronounce it? I've got one you can borrow, she's a crack-up, you'll love her, and she has excellent availability, really nothing else to do but call you I'll just send her your contact info . . . j/k

So—for me—the path of least resistance is an ukulele, not a ukulele.

Top Bottom