What does the word "cover" mean to you?

When I hear the term “cover band”, I tend to think of them attempting to sound as close to the original (or most popular) versions of the songs they play as possible.

When I play a tune, no matter how hard I try, it’s definitely a reinterpretation.
I consider a Cover band to be a bar band that doesn't write their music, and a Tribute band to be a band that (doesn't write their music) and plays the songs of one particular band.

Q: Does Elton John do covers because he doesn't compose the songs?

Last edited:
Also I have to admit it bugs me a little when I hear a song referred to as someone’s when it isn’t. I’ve heard Lilac Wine referred to as a Jeff Buckley song, likewise I Can’t Make You Love Me referred to as a Bonnie Raitt song. It’s not that difficult to credit the actual writer of the song.
Or Nick Lowe's "What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding" being called an Elvis Costello song. Yes, Costello's version is better known, but Lowe wrote and recorded it, too.

Kinda like Hendrix's cover of Dylan's All along the watchtower...

Anyone remember the controversy with How do I live and the versions by LeAnn Rimes and Trish Yearwood? Recorded unbeknownst to each other and released on the same day.

Last edited:
I consider a Cover band to be a bar band that doesn't write their music, and a Tribute band to be a band that (doesn't write their music) and plays the songs of one particular band.

Q: Does Elton John do covers because he doesn't compose the songs?
I was thinking a similar thought about Elvis. He “cowrote” only two songs, but nobody says he does covers, despite the fact that many of his songs are direct copies of the originals.

Just wondering, as Taylor Swift continues to crank out new copies of her own albums, is she turning herself into a “cover artist”?

I never use that word. Originally we just played a Beatles- or Rolling Stones song and they played their own or "traditional" songs.

Then came the rather derogatory term a "cover" or even worse a "coverartist". That forced many to only play their own songs and in many cases that just made things worse. There is a reason that songs are "covered". It's because they are popular or good or both.

Kinda like Hendrix's cover of Dylan's All along the watchtower...

Bob is very clear that he likes Jimi's version better, and considers his own subsequent performances of the song to be a cover of Jimi's song. Of course he's done a dozen or more variations of that theme along the way, but it's very, very clear that he's not "covering" his own version of the song anymore. He's applying his variations to JIMI's theme! I love it!

Trent Reznor had something similar to say about his song "Hurt". At first he was upset that anyone took on his most personal song, until he saw Mark Romanek's amazing video...at which point he not only acknowledged that it's Johnny's song now, but came to embrace his own live performances of it as a tribute to Johnny in particular, as well as an acknowledgment that his most personal, private feelings are more generally applicable than he'd really considered....ironic to me, since I'd say that his super-power is in fact articulating his most personal experiences in relatable ways.

The point being that most artists are also fans, and this dynamic moves in multiple directions all the time. It's not one way, and it's not always fixed in time or space.

Just wondering, as Taylor Swift continues to crank out new copies of her own albums, is she turning herself into a “cover artist”?

Not quite, in that she owns the rights to the songs -- they're hers, always have been -- but the previous owner of her recordings was a complete nozzle. When he put the recordings up for sale, he not only refused to offer them to her at any price, he stipulated that any buyers could not include her as part of their consortium, and if they attempted to sell to her later, the rights would automatically revert to HIM.

I can't believe this is legal, but that's what he did. One of those vulture capital consortiums bought anyway, even after she pointed out to them, both privately and publicly, that she was trying to bring the value of their purchase to zero, nothing personal, but besides, why would they participate in this travesty? And she's right, imo.

This is a big deal, because when it comes to licensing -- use in movies, commercials, whatever -- what you license isn't the song, but the recording. So Taylor is making new recordings of the songs that she has always owned, released on albums clearly labeled Taylor's Version(s) with tons of extras, selling them on a new label that's completely supporting this effort and willing to take whatever slice she's willing to throw them LOL and so far it's working out great for everyone. She's showing how many MORE people, including labels, benefit when ARTISTS control their own art.

I like her music fine, but as far as ferocious protection of their own rights and actively building community among fans and fellow artists, there's nobody I respect more...and that's before we get to the actual shows, which are works of art and community unto themselves. It also delights me no end that she's releasing a concert movie HERSELF next month, no studio involved (which is making them all apoplectic), and based on pre-sales, it's on track to open at over $100 million domestic. Go get 'em, TS!

btw, aside from playing ukulele herself in her solo acoustic sets (a TAYLOR of course, from that limited edition koa guitar/ukulele set Taylor released in 2012 or so iirc)....

1694043319223.png

...a lot of her songs sound terrific on uke, and I've worked a couple into my repertoire.

Abby Lyons, a uketuber, teacher, and festival performer/workshop leader who many of us have expressed fondness for here has created dynamite uke arrangements of pretty much all of Taylor's recent discography (among many of the other things Abby does), and I can also recommend those as well. Abby's tutorials are HOW those songs wound up in my repertoire. :)

A cover is simply playing someone else's song. I rarely do this because I have SO MANY of my own.

You really do. You are a font of creativity.
Thanks. I try and rehearse everything regularly and make sure I don't forget things. I don't write my music down. It would take a better and more self disciplined woman than I am to bother making tabs for all my 100 plus songs.

Top Bottom