what are you reading?

Just finished Stradivari's Genius by Toby Faber. The book begins with a short history of violin making in Cremona and a quick biography of Antonio Stradivari. Then the author follows five violins and a cello from their creation through the swirl of European politics and wars to their current resting place. It is an interesting look at the coevolution of violins and virtuoso violinists (also cellos and cellists, but to a lesser degree). Having studied the violin, I was fascinating to see how violin playing and the different schools of study evolved, and to see Kruetzer, Rode, Sevcik, etc. as people, not just study books. There was a genealogy of violinists that I had never seen before, all illuminated by how the different instruments passed through their hands. I also had no idea of the critical role of collectors and brokers throughout history.

The author did a good job of balancing the science and the mystique of these old instruments. He also pointed to the advances by modern luthiers and the excellence of modern violins. He leaves room for people to explore lost secret varnish formulas, special treatment of wood, impacts of the little ice age on forests etc., but his take is that Stradivari was a rare genius workaholic who kept experimenting and searching for the perfect violin. I like that. We don't ask about Bach's secret formula.

BTW, like the ukulele, the violin was initially seen as more of a folk or street instrument rather than an advance from the the fretted and bowed viols of the 16th century. It might be OK to lead a dance troupe, but was considered a bit brash or crude for ensemble playing. Eventually there was great demand for violins in the 17th century, yet It wasn't until virtuoso violinists of the late 18th and early 19th century gave public concerts in larger halls that the Stradivarius and Guanerius instruments were preferred rather than those by Stainer and Amati. And like the ukulele violin making has had its ups and downs: Violin making in Cremona declined to essentially zero by the end of the 18th century.

Last edited:
The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power by Shoshana Zuboff.
Definitely not light reading.

Michael Connely's- The Law of Innocense

The Covenant of Water, by Abraham Verghese. His previous novel Cutting for Stone just blew me away, and this one is even better.
We are going to see Verghese speak next week in Santa Barbara. There was so much demand for tickets that they had to move it to a larger venue off-campus at one of the downtown theaters. I haven't read The Covenanat of Water yet, but my wife loved it. Have you read his non-fiction: A Doctor's Story and The Tennis Partner? They are both very good.

We are going to see Verghese speak next week in Santa Barbara. There was so much demand for tickets that they had to move it to a larger venue off-campus at one of the downtown theaters. I haven't read The Covenanat of Water yet, but my wife loved it. Have you read his non-fiction: A Doctor's Story and The Tennis Partner? They are both very good.
No I haven’t read those yet, but I’m going to!

Well, I finally finished The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. It’s a really terrific story of TR’s life up to his presidency, and it’s a Pulitzer Prize winner. There are two more books to the trilogy, but I don’t have them yet.

I also finally finished with The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Music History - by Michael Miller. It’s only a so-so history despite its grandiose title.

Today, I’m beginning Geoffrey Chaucer of England - (biography) by Marchette Chute. I’ve had it in my library for a long time. and I’m just starting it. I really enjoyed reading Chaucer in college, but I only read him now once in a while.

I just finished "Florida" by Lauren Groff. I picked it up at a great little bookshop in Groff's hometown of Gainesville, FL over the summer when my wife and I came perilously close to relocating there. I had been all over that state but somehow never actually off the interstate and into Gainesville - and it is a beautiful city. I like it there very much and am looking forward to a return visit some day when I can spend more time there.

But I digress. The book. It was nominated for the National Book Award and Groff's mastery of the language is worth the price of admission here. She is one of those authors whose stories are a sheer pleasure to read for that alone. The great John Graves out of Texas is another one of these. It hit me that it is a good thing she is so good with her words as this collection of stories doesn't offer much in the way of sympathetic characters.

There is a recurring character (whom we might presume is based on the author?) that really tests the patience of the reader with an overlong amount of self-indulgent, whiny navel gazing. But beautifly so! :) Should you see the book on the shelf at your local used bookshop or thriftmart, you could do a lot worse.

I just finished 20th Century Ghosts, a collection of short stories by Joe Hill. While I still like his writing style, he didn't win me over to the short story format of writing. I'm not sure what it is about short stories, I've never really cared for them from anyone. I've read some good short stories and there were a few in this collection but I often find them disappointing. A lot of the time the endings fall flat and are disappointing. Sometimes I get the impression that they are a writing exercise for an idea to see if it will grow into a story that could become a book so they seem undeveloped and/or lacking depth and feel incomplete in execution. I won't hold it against him. I love his father's writing and most of the books of his that I haven't read are his short story collections. My favorites in this collection were 20th Century Ghosts, Abraham's Boys and Voluntary Committal.

I mentioned this one in an earlier post -- I loved it too! Definitely check out his next one: Starter Villain. Similar energy, sci-fi very much in the background compared to most of his other books, and just genuinely fun. 🙂

LOVED this one, and also recommend his A Walk in the Woods. A delightful fellow to spend a good bit of time with!
My favorite part of many many hilarious passages in A Walk In The Woods is Bryson’s reaction upon learning that his backpack would need a rain cover. I laughed for several minutes and it still cracks me up.

I'm not normally a non-fiction fan but I just finished The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder, by David Grann, and it was excellent! It's the story of an 18th-century British warship and its crew. The subtitle describes the main plot but Grann turns it into a real page-turner. Highly recommended! He's also the author of Killers of the Flower Moon. I haven't read or seen Killers... yet but I need to check it out soon.

Now currently on “George Harrison: The Reluctant Beatle” by Philip Norman. A very in-depth bio account of George’s life and times. I’m only about a quarter of the way through it, we’re up to very early 1963 so they’ve started working with EMI/Parlophone and George Martin, “Please Please Me” has just been released. A quite fantastic and detailed account so far of Harrison’s childhood, their earliest days in the Cavern Club and Hamburg with Stu Sutcliffe, Pete Best and all the many events that somehow magically fell into place at the right time to alter the course of musical history. They certainly had humble beginnings.

I'm not normally a non-fiction fan but I just finished The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder, by David Grann, and it was excellent! It's the story of an 18th-century British warship and its crew. The subtitle describes the main plot but Grann turns it into a real page-turner. Highly recommended! He's also the author of Killers of the Flower Moon. I haven't read or seen Killers... yet but I need to check it out soon.
I was just looking at the latest email from my library and that one is still on the NYT best seller list. No normally my type of topic, but maybe I should give it a try.

Now currently on “George Harrison: The Reluctant Beatle” by Philip Norman. A very in-depth bio account of George’s life and times. I’m only about a quarter of the way through it, we’re up to very early 1963 so they’ve started working with EMI/Parlophone and George Martin, “Please Please Me” has just been released. A quite fantastic and detailed account so far of Harrison’s childhood, their earliest days in the Cavern Club and Hamburg with Stu Sutcliffe, Pete Best and all the many events that somehow magically fell into place at the right time to alter the course of musical history. They certainly had humble beginnings.
I recently read this one as well. George was a complex individual, (as are we all.)

Philip Norman wrote a very unflattering obituary for George, but the book wasn't as biased, IMO. I think that there is a not-yet-written biography of George that will top this one, but there aren't very many well written books on George.

I mostly read non-fiction. Been on a spree of reading books that now have me despairing for the world. (Well, greatly concerned, at least. There is always hope.)

Can anyone recommend some light-hearted, easy reading fiction that can cheer me up? I'm looking at what I have checked out from the library and my hold list, and nothing comes close to fitting that description....

I was just looking at the latest email from my library and that one is still on the NYT best seller list. No normally my type of topic, but maybe I should give it a try.
The Wager is definitely not light-hearted, easy reading. In fact, it's pretty dark and miserable. Still a great read, but be prepared for misery, suffering, and death! 💀

Never Split The Difference by retired FBI hostage negotiator Chris Voss.
The focus of this nonfiction book is negotiating rules, phrases and tactics that really work but are useful not only in life/ death situations but also in normal, day- to- day interaction.

I’m not using hyperbole when I state that there is far more actionable, useful- in- everyday- life information in Mr. Voss’s first chapter than in the entire front- to- back content of a certain infamous billionaire’s self serving, hubris- fueled, “The Art Of The Deal”.

I highly recommend Voss’s book. It’s not only informative but includes lots of interesting examples drawn from the author’s 4-decade career in one of the most stressful sectors of law enforcement.

Top Bottom