Strings What are some of the best sounding flurocarbon strings for a concert uke?

bunnyo

Reaction score
What are some of the best sounding flurocarbon strings for a concert uke? I'd like high g, and clear, if possible; but if something's really good I don't mind the color too much.

It seems like there are a lot of concert fluorocarbons with low g out there.

Thanks so much!

Strings (and plectra if you use them) represent our physical connection to the instrument.

For this reason there can be no “best” nor really even a “better.” What I find “Clear and chimy” someone else may find “harsh and brittle,” whereas their favorite “warm and clear” string I might find “dull and mushy.”

It’s VERY personal.

Fortunately, strings are fairly cheap. Living. Water and Worth are both well-regarded. I use PhDs on one of my Baris for Low G tuning because of the 3-4 low-g Bari sets I like them best, but someone else may hate them…

My go-to's are Martin and Oasis bright. They seem to work on any uke I put them on. For a warmer sound I like Worth browns on my all-solid mahogany uke.

A lot of the fluorocarbon strings are pretty similar so all will be decent. Martin, Worth and D'Addario would all be good ones to try

Which model concert do you have and what type of music do you play ?
Since you only asked for best sounding , I'll assume you have no preference for tension or feel .

I find Martin fluorocarbons pretty good. I think they’re a good affordable place to start, and easily available, at least where I live.

My favorite so far have been Living Waters strings, though. Not as affordable or easily available, though.

I find Martin fluorocarbons pretty good. I think they’re a good affordable place to start, and easily available, at least where I live.
Agree...I would start there then move on if needed/desired. and Martins are cheap! $6 and free shipping from Sweetwater, can't beat that...

Which model concert do you have and what type of music do you play ?
Since you only asked for best sounding , I'll assume you have no preference for tension or feel .
I have a Mr Mai M80 solid koa concert. Right now I'm just trying to learn with the Matt Stead video course. No matter what I do I can't seem to get the same celestial sound that he has (of course, he has better ukes, though). My strings tend to fall of tune while playing a simple song...so frustrating! He recommends a high g (although, someday, I may put a low g on something. I like the rock and bluesy sound.). I'm willing to change my strings and action and I'm keeping the piece in higher humidity (living in the Phoenix desert 🏜️, I'm finding I have to humidify up to at least 49%...how high can you safely go? I'm also in the market for a higher quality tuner (rechargeable)...any suggestions? Hopefully no higher than $30...

I'm completely open to suggestions, esp. for strings, they just need to be flurocarbon, preferably clear, for a concert uke, and high g (for now).

Thank you so much!
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Professional players who want the best sound will generally choose higher tension strings. Most brands have at least 2 different tensions; sometimes 3 or more. Higher tension may require better technique and/or finger strength. Personally, I think string tension matters more than brand as long as you are choosing a brand with good consistency and quality control. You need to experiment to figure out what works for you.

Honestly, any of the "name brands" should work and "sound good" - Living Water, Oasis, PhD, UkeLogic, Worth, Martin. But they will sound slightly different on your uke and may feel slightly different, so you'll find you own preference.

I’ve used high G clear fluorocarbon d’Addario, Martin, and Fremont on my concert ukes. By far my favorite is the Fremont. My concert Kiwaya doesn’t sound like Matt Stead’s tenor ukes, but my Martin tenor with black Fremonts comes close. I honestly think that to my ear the size of the uke has more to do with the richness of the tone.

I find the Fremont clear to be very easy to play. Easy on my fingers, easy to be loud or soft or anywhere in between, easy to bend the notes. It takes them a good couple weeks to stretch out and settle down, but then they are stable and stay in tune surprisingly well. They sound like dried cherries taste. Rich, a bit tart, with some sweetness and complexity. Each string rings out clearly when I strum, so strumming sounds more musical than percussive. Chord-melody is an absolute joy. They just sing and blend and soar. (I might be a bit overly passionate about these strings.)

It was “love at first play“, so I’ve stuck with Fremont ever since. Look for the strings that you love, and don’t be afraid to reject ones that others love. Somewhere out there are the strings that will suit you!

I have a Mr Mai M80 solid koa concert. Right now I'm just trying to learn with the Matt Stead video course. No matter what I do I can't seem to get the same celestial sound that he has (of course, he has better ukes, though). My strings tend to fall of tune while playing a simple song...so frustrating! He recommends a high g (although, someday, I may put a low g on something. I like the rock and bluesy sound.). I'm willing to change my strings and action and I'm keeping the piece in higher humidity (living in the Phoenix desert 🏜️, I'm finding I have to humidify up to at least 49%...how high can you safely go? I'm also in the market for a higher quality tuner (rechargeable)...any suggestions? Hopefully no higher than $30...

I'm completely open to suggestions, esp. for strings, they just need to be flurocarbon, preferably clear, for a concert uke, and high g (for now).

Thank you so much!
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
What our good friend Jim Hanks said :
"Honestly, any of the "name brands" should work and "sound good" - Living Water, Oasis, PhD, UkeLogic, Worth, Martin. But they will sound slightly different on your uke and may feel slightly different, so you'll find you own preference."

Martin's are a good baseline starting point ; they're widely available , relatively inexpensive , and with tension on the lower side for easier playability .

What don't you like about the strings that are on there now ?
I think the stock are D'Addario Titanium .

Last edited:
Reactions: EDW
"Honestly, any of the "name brands" should work and "sound good" - Living Water, Oasis, PhD, UkeLogic, Worth, Martin. But they will sound slightly different on your uke and may feel slightly different, so you'll find you own preference."

Martin's are a good baseline starting point ; they're widely available , relatively inexpensive , and with tension on the lower side for easier playability .

D'Addario Titanium strings are nylon, which sound and feel noticeably different from fluorocarbon. Many ukulele players (Aldrine, Jake, Taimane, etc) prefer nylon to fluorocarbon. Neither type is "better", the difference is a personal preference.

They are D'Addario, but they don't sing, they're not bright and shining. I just heard someone play Here Comes the Sun on Aquila reds and it sounded spot on, but I have arthritis in my hands and have to be mindful bc sometimes with the D'Addario I'll have to give my fingers a rest. My fingers aren't strong, but I love a bright, shining, singing voice. Suggestions?

Like the others have said, strings can be a very personal choice. No set of D'Addario‘s has lasted more than a week on any of my ukes. But that’s just me. I like Worth browns for a warm an luscious sound, and Freemont blacklines for something brighter.

Start with the Martins , M600 .
Many find them bright in a good way with a clear shining bell like tone .
Mim of Mim's Uke's who has a devoted following on UU and is famous for her set-up says :
" I recommend this string to a lot of my customers who have arthritis or hand issues."
"They have a nice light easy playing feel."
" ... hold their tune well "

Martin's are a good baseline starting point .
You can keep them on or fine tune your string selection based on your experience with them .

I really like Worth Browns, they work well on my Cocobolo ukulele, which is a species of rosewood. I told Kevin Keith that I had taken off the Aquilas it came with and switched to the Browns. Soon after that, he tried a set and now....
I also love the Oasis brand on my mahogany ukulele. Next I will try a set of Living Waters.
Once I put a set of Martins on my Makala Dolphin, and they brought it to life!

Top Bottom